PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Vitamins

The Lawspeaker
05-07-2013, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp7WdxvoBfI
BBC - Horizon - The Truth About Vitamins
The Truth About Vitamins (2004)
Are vitamins doing us any good? Could they even be dangerous?

Every year we spend £300 million on vitamin supplements, but do they actually do us any good? Some believe they offer the promise of preventing or even curing some of the world's biggest killers, such as heart disease and cancer. Others claim that taking large doses of some vitamins may in certain cases be harmful. So what are the facts?

Vitamin C, the most popular of them all
Nearly 40 years ago, one of the greatest scientists of the 20th century and double Nobel Prize winner, Linus Pauling, revolutionised the way people thought about vitamins. He claimed that by taking huge doses of vitamin C you could prevent or even cure the common cold.

He predicted that if everybody followed his advice, the common cold could even be eradicated. Many scientists dismissed his theory as quackery, but the public loved it and it helped launch a huge industry. But the latest evidence shows the great man was mistaken. Vitamin C can help you once have got a cold, but for most people it does nothing to prevent you from catching one in the first place.

Even if large doses of vitamin C do not prevent the common cold, some claim that it can still offer a more profound benefit. It is one of a group of vitamins called anti-oxidants that some believe can prevent illnesses such as cancer, Alzheimer's and heart disease.

Too much of a good thing?
In 2004, scientists in the United States claimed that people could be missing any of the potential benefits of taking one of the world's most popular anti-oxidant vitamin supplements, vitamin E, because their bodies might not be absorbing it. But our own investigation suggested that the American scientists' conclusion could be mistaken.

While most safety experts believe that vitamins C and E can be taken safely even in quite large doses, there is worrying evidence that one form of another common vitamin, vitamin A, could be linked to osteoporosis, a debilitating bone disease.

If the theory is right it means that a person's diet, or some supplements that they take every day to improve their health, could actually be slowly and silently weakening their bones

Conan
07-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Great video sharing on vitamins and like to say vitamins play important role in making our life healthy so we must take adequate amount of essential vitamins through daily meals. Vitamins boost immunity system and reduce the risk of major health problems. Vitamins increase our metabolism and helps in losing and maintaining healthy body weight.

Drawing-slim
07-12-2013, 02:47 AM
I take multivitamin 1 a day for men.
Is that good or bad?!
I need some advise here please. I live in America and don't have health insurance so I would like to know what's good to take and not.

Guapo
07-12-2013, 02:53 AM
I take multivitamin 1 a day for men.
Is that good or bad?!
I need some advise here please. I live in America and don't have health insurance so I would like to know what's good to take and not.

Multivitamins are bullshit, they do nothing really. Look into exactly what you are missing such as iron etc and take vitamins that are 100% iron for example or 100% d vitamin etc

hobosmurf
07-12-2013, 12:11 PM
it depends, some like synthetic vitamin d3 are just as good as the real thing, while most others aren't as effective as the natural form (relative to the amount), or for lowering risk of cancer, it still has some benefits and there is barely any evidence that it's harmful

Pontios
07-23-2013, 04:22 AM
To me it just seems like vitamins aren't very natural at all. I always thought of a balanced diet as being better and healthier.