PDA

View Full Version : Your Drinking Frequency

Vulpix
12-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Please reply and add the quantities that you drink when you do.

How often do you drink?

Never
Only a few times a year
Every few months
Several times per month
Every day
Other (Please specify)

Wildland
12-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I never understand the purpose with drinking, I like being the natural myself. Only have got drunk once with a half bottle of whiskey on my friends exam.
It was great fun that night, although I can have the same experience without alcohol.
Used to drink whine when going out, but nothing anymore.

Loki
12-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I picked "Other" because my alcohol consumption is not regular. Sometimes months would go by that I would hardly touch a drop. And then when I feel like it, I could have Guinness or two a few times a week. Or a bottle of vodka over a week. Or a bottle of red wine over a few days.

So in short, I'm not an addict, but can appreciate the properties of alcoholic beverage when I feel like it. Thus I'm a user, not an abuser. :p

Beorn
12-16-2008, 02:42 PM
I never understand the purpose with drinking, I like being the natural myself. Only have got drunk once with a half bottle of whiskey on my friends exam.
It was great fun that night, although I can have the same experience without alcohol.

That's funny as I have been led to believe that the Macedonian's were some of the hardest drinkers going in classical history.

Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ Μέγας looks upon you with shame. :tongue

Oresai
12-16-2008, 02:56 PM
When I was younger, I drove a trike (the motorised kind, in case anyone`s thinking I mean when I was three!) and could drink most folks under the table. This is because I was raised in the highlands where a drink culture did, and still does, exist, it being a matter of pride to `hold your drink`, yes, even the women.
Now though, it`s been years since I was truly drunk...I prefer being in control of my body, not to mention my tongue, and, a blunt speaker at the best of times, add alcohol and I could reduce a grown man to tears in five minutes flat. In fact, I have....

I`m also a control freak. :D So when I do drink I like to pace myself, drink til I am mellow and no more.
There are lots of drinks I like, but have to say a good Amaretto ranks among my faves, followed by a decent single malt whisky.
I make my own mead, to a `secret` recipe. It`s fizzy. :D Sacriligeous as it sounds, it`s very very good fizzy. Lots of folks have said so. But it also gets them drunk quicker.

Eldritch
12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Drinking alone is usually considered problematic, but to me that is the most pleasurable way of imbibing. Give me a pint of good lager, a newspaper or a good book, in a nice and quiet pub in the afternoon, and for the next half an hour I'll be as happy as I can be.

I'm not a good social drinker; I often feel ill at ease among large groups of people, and every time I've gone overboard and ended up drinking too much has been in such situations.

I drink frequently, but these days I rarely overdo it. A few years ago (towards the end of the tNP era) I lost my job, my girlfriend, my health, and my home all within a year. I don't mind admitting that for a while at the time, the world seemed a much less cruel place when looked at through the bottom of a bottle or a beerglass. Even though I've gotten over that, it'll still stay with me as long as I live. When it comes to alcohol, once-lost innocence can't be regained.

Btw may I suggest Kingsley Amis's great book Everyday Drinking? If that man had swallowed a match, his liver probably would have caught fire, yet he managed to create a succesful career as a writer and a journalist.

He also came up with the theory (which makes sense to me, at least) that if it wasn't for alcohol, mankind would have self-destructed by the 1910's at the latest. :D

Æmeric
12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Hardly ever. I don't like the taste of alcohol & I like being in control, not being drunk. I use to drink to be social when I was younger but never alone. The only reason I ever have a drink at social gatherings is to prove to those suspicious (slightly drunken) minds that I really don't drink because I don't like the taste & not because I'm a alcoholic. I'll take a few sips of beer or wine just to show I won't go on a drinking binge. Really, why is it socially acceptable to be an alcoholic but to be a teetoler is to be some sort of social pariah :rolleyes2:. By not drinking I'm not advocating prohibition.

Oisín
12-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Varies. I usually go out a couple of times a week with my mates, if we go out at the weekend then we just go out for a session and get messy in town but sometimes we just go to one of the local pubs during the week, we get a lot of English and German tourists round here, every so often there's a few stunners in the pub on a Wednesday or Thursday night, they're drunk and on holiday so happy days:D

Stegura
12-19-2008, 04:28 AM
I'd have to say that the peak of my drinking occurred during my Junior, Senior, and Super Senior years of college. Back then Vodka and Whiskey were my two drinks of choice, usually straight up and never mixed with anything. God only knows how many brain cells I killed, how many times I made an ass of myself and woke up the next morning with my head bobbed over the toilet seat.

Nowadays, I'm a much more mature and responsible drinker.

I drink for the social aspects. I'm a pretty shy and introverted person for the most part, so alcohol gives me an inflated sense of self-esteem. Alcohol also makes me more sociable and outgoing.

I usually stick to beer nowadays, but I'll have the occasional mixed drink.

I love German, English, and Irish beers.

I normally go out for happy hour twice a week and I'll typically have 3-4 beers.

In terms of partying/heavy drinking (six or more drinks), I definitely don't get out as much as I used to. When I do it's usually during the summer. When I drink that much I usually stick to light beers like Miller Lite, Bud Lite, and Miller High Life.

Sticking to beer in such situations is always a good choice. After 8-10 beers, I'll start to bloat up and my body will reject it. But with hard liqour I could never tell when I had exceeded my limit.

Atlas
12-19-2008, 07:38 PM
I drink several times per months, and sometimes, heavily, unfortunately.
Usually whiskey coke on the rocks :p or vodka/orange juice or redbull.
This is when clubbing or with friends at my appartment.
Otherwise, for daytime, I enjoy a beer or two, and sometimes wines with my meats.

Sally
12-29-2008, 06:09 AM
I rarely drink, because I honestly don't like the taste of most alcohol. I do have a hankering for mixed tropical drinks (complete with umbrella! ;)), though, even though I can't remember the last time I actually had one.

Treffie
01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
I have the odd tipple now and again, especially at Christmas. I think the last time I was drunk was perhaps 12 years ago.

TheGreatest
01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah there was the time where I drunk till I passed out, just for the kick and all. But now I just drink some beer to increase the self-esteem and boldness.
Just as the Uncle said: Whiskey puts hair on your chest and makes ya brave :P

GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS
01-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I drank more or less every weekend when I was a teenager, but when I became 20+ I started getting a hangover so I rarely drink these days. I get pissed two or three times a year, have a sip of beer once a month or so.

TheGreatest
01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm one of the 25% that's resistant/immune to hangover symptoms. And if I'm maintaining a normal diet, generally booze will have little effect on me. Which is a problem because I was drinking to get that kick.

I ended spending 2,000 EUROs in two months of drinking. I'm quite ashamed of it but I bet I made some bartenders in Germany happy

Hrolf Kraki
01-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I used to drink gratuitous amounts of liquor on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis, but I have since stopped. Now I drink perhaps 2-3 times per month and then only lightly. Last night a buddy and I made an agreement not to drink liquor until St. Patrick's Day. This should be interesting. :D

Vulpix
01-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Same :p!

But how can one spend 2000 euro in two months on drinks :eek::eek::eek:?

I'm one of the 25% that's resistant/immune to hangover symptoms. And if I'm maintaining a normal diet, generally booze will have little effect on me. Which is a problem because I was drinking to get that kick.

I ended spending 2,000 EUROs in two months of drinking. I'm quite ashamed of it but I bet I made some bartenders in Germany happy

TheGreatest
01-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Same :p!

But how can one spend 2000 euro in two months on drinks :eek::eek::eek:?

Well it was a vacation and I treated every single night like a party. I regretted the money spent, but not the time spent :D :thumb001:

Lupinta
01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
i choose every few months. I don't like the taste of alcohol and i believe that we can enjoy a nice evening out without being drunk. I completely agree with Arch-Druid.

Loki
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
i choose every few months. I don't like the taste of alcohol and i believe that we can enjoy a nice evening out without being drunk. I completely agree with Arch-Druid.

It is possible to have a night out on the Toon without getting drunk?

Psychonaut
01-03-2009, 11:14 PM
How often do you drink?

If it's a non-work day, since I work at night, I'll have a glass of wine or beer with my dinner (depending on the meal), and often I'll have a brandy or scotch nightcap. However, since I work every other three days, I only drink three or four times a week.

Lupinta
01-03-2009, 11:27 PM
yes Loki, I think it's possible to go out without getting drunk... it's even sad thinking that you don't enjoy a night out without drinking heavily.

Loki
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
yes Loki, I think it's possible to go out without getting drunk... it's even sad thinking that you don't enjoy a night out without drinking heavily.

I don't drink heavily, but I know the people in Newcastle know how to party hard. :)

Jägerstaffel
01-04-2009, 12:22 AM
I'd say I drink pretty frequently. I am an amatuer brewer and am very fond of the varieties of the brew. I have a few beers at night to relax most nights. I don't drink much other than beer though and can keep my wits without getting blitzed when I do go out on the town drinking.

A better burden no man can bear
on the way than his mother wit:
and no worse provision can he carry with him
than too deep a draught of ale.
Less good than they say for the sons of men
is the drinking oft of ale:
for the more they drink, the less they can think
and keep a watch over their wits.
A bird of Unmindfullness flutters over ale-feasts,
wiling away men's wits;
with the feathers of that fowl I was fettered once
in the garths of Gunnlodr below.
Drunk was I then, I was over-drunk,
in the fold of wise Fjalar;
But best is an ale feast when a man is able
to call back his wits at once.- Hávamál

Ulf
01-04-2009, 03:02 AM
I drank a few drinks everynight, but I'm quitting smoking so I'm taking a few months break before drinking again.

Stegura
01-04-2009, 03:47 AM
I don't drink heavily, but I know the people in Newcastle know how to party hard. :)

They have good beer there! :thumb001:

http://www.saveur-biere.com/images/biere-newcastle-brown-ale.jpg?osCsid=45345816bac32df292c4074ddadc1636

GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS
01-04-2009, 07:56 AM

Now now, you must consider some people (Finns) need alcohol to be able to talk to girls. If there wasn't alcohol, Finland would be depopulated, you wouldn't want that, would you?

Treffie
01-04-2009, 08:56 AM
They have good beer there! :thumb001:

http://www.saveur-biere.com/images/biere-newcastle-brown-ale.jpg?osCsid=45345816bac32df292c4074ddadc1636

Oh no, we used to call this Nuclear Brown, the after effects of this were shall I say, not pretty.

Artorius
10-06-2009, 06:33 AM
I'll usually have a beer or glass of wine every night when I get home from work.

RoyBatty
10-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Btw may I suggest Kingsley Amis's great book Everyday Drinking? If that man had swallowed a match, his liver probably would have caught fire, yet he managed to create a succesful career as a writer and a journalist.

He also came up with the theory (which makes sense to me, at least) that if it wasn't for alcohol, mankind would have self-destructed by the 1910's at the latest. :D

A Russian friend of mine credits vodka for turning Russia into an Orthodox country. Apparently the ancient rulers decided to adopt a religion and entertained a number of proposals from aspiring candidates. Apparently the Muslims and Jews were a bit hesitant about endorsing vodka while the Greeks stated that it wouldn't be an issue.

The Greeks got the job. :D

Sally
10-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I only drink a few times per year. I want some Champagne, preferably accompanied by strawberries, very soon! I'll think of something to celebrate. ;)

Svarog
10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I also voted few times a year, I can count on my fingers how many times I got drunk in the last 3 years, I do have a daily beer but I don't really count that under drinking

Tabiti
10-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Depends on my mood and season. There were months without a drop of alcohol and periods I was drunk almost every day.

Black Turlogh
10-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Not a day goes by that I don't have a pint or two, but I'll only allow myself to get pissed on Saturdays.

Frigga
10-06-2009, 06:06 PM
It depends. I have had long periods where I got drunk a few times a week, if not more, and then there's the period that I'm at right now where I am able to go without it. Usually though, a couple times a week I will at least have one beer.

Liffrea
10-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I’m practically t total at the moment, not officially as such but I rarely have enthusiasm for drink. Occasionally I will go to the local but I haven’t been “down town” for several years now, I just don’t enjoy it anymore. As for drunk it’s a long time since that happened and I doubt it will happen again.

Damião de Góis
10-06-2009, 07:44 PM
The correct option for me now is every few months. When i was in college it would be several times a month.

Óttar
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
When I'm unemployed almost every day. When I'm employed, on the weekends.

Goidelic
10-06-2009, 08:40 PM
More or less I've been drinking moderately to medium through the week about 5-6 times and 2-3 beers. In the past it was once every 6 months or so. I guess I've been enjoying too many good Irish & German beers as I sometimes order them from stores for shipping purposes. ;)

Óttar
10-06-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm British, Irish and German. I pretty much have to be an alcoholic.

Mesrine
10-06-2009, 09:03 PM
On weekend nights, and in reasonable excess. No binge drinking.

Germanicus
10-06-2009, 09:29 PM
It's a habit i have when drinking at home to open the bar at 10pm, no sooner, or later.
My favorite tipple is Jack Daniels, or Tesco's equivalent with diet coke.
I have 3 single shots of J/D with coke that lasts me till i go to bed.
The weekend is still 10pm bar opening, but i usually drink a little more than 3 single shots.

Brännvin
10-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Irregular, only at parties with friends..

Liffrea
10-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by AlexDelarge
When i was in college it would be several times a month.

When I was a student it was several times a day, the only places I ever went in university were the library and the bar, and I only got to the library because it was before I reached the bar, the world beyond the bar……I don’t think I ever saw it and if I did I was to pissed to remember, I could have had a drinks problem when I was younger, luckily I grew out of it.

ikki
10-06-2009, 10:02 PM
a glass or two at most at a time.

Ive had a long time to philosophise about the subject, and ultimately figured out that getting drunk isnt very fun, terribly expensive and leaves everything cheapened. Still that substance has its uses.. but never more than fairly small quantities at a time anymore.

Hrolf Kraki
10-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Irregular, only at parties with friends..

Same here, but it always backfires. I get drunk too quickly and don't realize it. The next morning I feel terrible!

The Lawspeaker
10-07-2009, 05:04 AM
I can't remember the last time I was sober. ;)

Nah.. I am a seasonal drinker. Sometimes I am not drinking for months or driving very little amounts and then there are weeks of drinking bouts.

What I drink also depends on my mood and the season but I usually only drink more then two glasses when I am having a tough time.

Bridie
10-07-2009, 06:45 AM
A few times a year, currently. But I'm considering taking up alcoholism at this stage in my life, because I'm not coping well. :)

:p

Damião de Góis
10-08-2009, 01:11 AM
When I was a student it was several times a day, the only places I ever went in university were the library and the bar, and I only got to the library because it was before I reached the bar, the world beyond the bar……I don’t think I ever saw it and if I did I was to pissed to remember, I could have had a drinks problem when I was younger, luckily I grew out of it.

I drinked a bit more than i do now but that's because we have a drinking culture in our universities. Even so it wasn't that much. Certainly not as much as you :D

Cato
10-08-2009, 01:38 AM
One a week.

Hrolf Kraki
10-08-2009, 02:20 AM
One a week.

Can of beer? Glass of wine? Bottle of vodka? :p

safinator
11-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Several times per month