PDA

View Full Version : 43% of births in Northern Ireland are to unmarried parents.

Baluarte
05-10-2013, 09:49 AM
43% of births in Northern Ireland are to unmarried parents. Is it a lifestyle choice or are weddings too costly?

ALMOST half of all births in Northern Ireland are now to unmarried parents – suggesting marriage is no longer the priority it once was for couples.

Government statistics released show 43% of births last year were to unwed parents – the highest figure on record.

It means of the 25,300 babies born here in 2012, 10,879 were delivered to parents who weren't married. Thirty years ago the figure was just 8%.

It is a trend that has crept up by roughly 10% per decade, sitting at 22% back in 1992.

Northern Ireland keeps its reputation as the most conservative part of the UK, however, when it comes to having children out of wedlock. In Scotland, 51% of births last year were outside marriage, and in England and Wales the figure was 47%.

With benefits and working credits the same for couples whether they are married or living together, it is thought the change relates to social trends as opposed to any financial benefits. The only couples that would benefit are those failing to declare they live together.

Other key findings of the report, released yesterday by the Department of Finance, show the number of births to teenage mums fell to the lowest on record in both deprived and more affluent areas, reflective of trends across the UK and Ireland. The number of births to teenage mothers last year was 6% lower than 2011 (1,170 births) and 27% lower than a decade ago (1,502 births), the official report said.

In the last decade, the number of births to mothers aged under 17 has decreased by 26% (149 births in 2002) to 110 births last year.

Continuing the trend towards later child-bearing, more than half of all births registered last year (52%) were also to mothers aged 30 or more. This contrasts with 30 years ago when less than one-third of births (32%) were to mothers in this age group. The number of births to women over 40, however, remains largely static at 3.7%.

David Marshall, from the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA), which compiled the report, said: "In overall terms, the number of births has remained broadly stable over the last five years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Old World terminology, half of the British newborns today are bastards.
Anachronic, I know, but just a thought.

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 09:52 AM
this is just sad... :(

Baluarte
05-10-2013, 10:01 AM
this is just sad... :(

The United Kingdom is the country that has embraced more openly the liberal-libertarian point of view. Secularization and relativism are endemic.
Natural result...even if I do feel sorry for the children.

alfieb
05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
A shame it isn't broken down by Irish Catholic vs. British Protestant dynamics.

Isn't abortion illegal in NI, or was it just the Republic?

The Lawspeaker
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
A shame it isn't broken down by Irish Catholic vs. British Protestant dynamics.

Isn't abortion illegal in NI, or was it just the Republic?
Just the Republic.

Graham
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Scotland wins again. We are the least religious. Like the rest of Northern Europe.

alfieb
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Oh. Because that could've been used as an excuse.

"Kids are going to have sex. If you can't have an abortion, it's only logical that so many kids are born out of wedlock."

Baluarte
05-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Scotland wins again. We are the least religious. Like the rest of Northern Europe.

Abandonment of native religion only means you're prepared to accept and convert to a new foreign religion. That has always been the case in human history.

It makes sense once you correlate the increasing secularization of British Christians, with the rising conversions (specially of women) to Islam.

But going beyond the pure denomination thing, I wonder what is the effect this shall have on the new generation.

wvwvw
05-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Most of those Irish couples live together, have kids and they don't differ in any way from married couples. They just don't see marriage as important.

alfieb
05-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Most of those Irish couples live together, have kids and they don't differ in any way from married couples. They just don't see marriage as important.

I thought of that and checked. Apparently, there is no such thing as common-law marriage in Northern Ireland.

Graham
05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
But going beyond the pure denomination thing, I wonder what is the effect this shall have on the new generation.

The next stage to enlightenment.

You can stick to religious stuff, like your upskirt pictures. I'll be a well behaved non-religious being. :P

xajapa
05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
43% of births in Northern Ireland are to unmarried parents. Is it a lifestyle choice or are weddings too costly?

ALMOST half of all births in Northern Ireland are now to unmarried parents – suggesting marriage is no longer the priority it once was for couples.
Is parenting a priority for these parents? You wonder how many of these children live in fatherless' homes. That is the trend in the U.S. when these circumstances exist.

Baluarte
05-10-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't have a lot of faith myself. I stand by religion for purely social/cultural reasons (AKA, if you don't believe, too fucking bad, fake it).

Arreligiousness never lasts long. Not a single arreligious civilization has lasted a long time (the closest thing we have is the "cultural" softcore practises of Japan).

But on the other hand, I've read different points of view that explain how laicism is actually a religion in itself (specially in France), which is the subproduct of the French Revolution and its legacy, seeking to drain the world's faith into the adoration of humans. Anthropocentrism it seems.

It actually reminds me of all those sci-fi dystopic scenarios where the Earth has been united by a sort of Confederation who ruthlessly controls everything, under a fake guise of democracy, and where the only values that are treasured are "Serve Humanity, serve the Earth!"

Oh well, one can always hope that you people fail.

ABest
05-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't approve of this. http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121230230155/degrassi/images/6/6e/Facepalm-gif-37.gif

SkyBurn
05-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Who cares? An unmarried couple are just as competent. 'Husband' and 'wife' are just titles with irrelevant legal associations.

ABest
05-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Of course unmarried couples can raise a child perfectly well, it's just that 43% is surprisingly high! :p

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Who cares? An unmarried couple are just as competent. 'Husband' and 'wife' are just titles with irrelevant legal associations.

Being with a person, but not wanting to make sure s/he will be able to use your fortune in case something happens.....?
Or when children learn at school "a man marries a woman, they make a child", then they will wonder what is wrong with them.

If you want to have a family with someone, marry him, that's just my opinion :)
I wouldn't give a child to a person who does not want to commit :)

Baluarte
05-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Being with a person, but not wanting to make sure s/he will be able to use your fortune in case something happens.....?
Or when children learn at school "a man marries a woman, they make a child", then they will wonder what is wrong with them.

If you want to have a family with someone, marry him, that's just my opinion :)
I wouldn't give a child to a person who does not want to commit :)

I've noticed that we live in what Édouard Drumont called "an irrearably arrogant generation", in other words people that think that they are somehow special and better than all those who lived before them.

So, the simple sociological truth that the civilization that sprouted us was built over the basis of monogamic marriage is today challenged, and slowly replaced by new age ideas. That's why things that would have been considered impossible 100 years ago, like gay marriage, seem today normal and evident.

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
I've noticed that we live in what Édouard Drumont called "an irreperably arrogant generation", in other words people that think that they are somehow special and better than all those who lived before them.

So, the simple sociological truth that the civilization that sprouted us was built over the basis of monogamic marriage is today challenged, and slowly replaced by new age ideas. That's why things that would have been considered impossible 100 years ago, like gay marriage, seem today normal and evident.

i understand your point, but I am the oldschool type... I do believe in romance, marriage, love till the end etc... I do not think there can be a perfect couple, but i think if divorces were not a piece of cake in our society, may people tried more for their relationships...

Baluarte
05-10-2013, 11:40 AM
i understand your point, but I am the oldschool type... I do believe in romance, marriage, love till the end etc... I do not think there can be a perfect couple, but i think if divorces were not a piece of cake in our society, may people tried more for their relationships...

I agree with you.
Regarding divorce, it should be possible, but not as easy as it is today. Only the last resource to an irreparable situation.

I know men who end up divorcing because "dang, my wife got fatter" x.x!!

Sarmatian
05-10-2013, 11:43 AM
"Kids are going to have sex..."

Me think this is the root of the evil. Just some 50 years ago it was unimaginable thing.

I've noticed that we live in what Édouard Drumont called "an irrearably arrogant generation", in other words people that think that they are somehow special and better than all those who lived before them.

Slowly you saying?? In last 20 years society changed far more than in previous 2000.

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I agree with you.
Regarding divorce, it should be possible, but not as easy as it is today. Only the last resource to an irreparable situation.

I know men who end up divorcing because "dang, my wife got fatter" x.x!!

Marrying cause someone got pregnant, divorcing 1 year after due to different characters... In that case better not to marry at all...

Sarmatian
05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Marrying cause someone got pregnant, divorcing 1 year after due to different characters... In that case better not to marry at all...

How about not going to bed with someone one barely know?

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 11:51 AM
How about not going to bed with someone one barely know?

Sex is about feeling good. Not all people relate it with emotions and I am not going to judge them. And someone who is stupid enough not to use protection with an unkown person???? I wish he never has kids at all ;)
But even if i am with a guy and gets me pregnant i will not just marry him. I want to be sure about his feelings and how trustworthy he is...

Arbėrori
05-10-2013, 11:54 AM
To be honest, I'd rather marry a woman who already has a child, than a whore who wants one.
Raising another man's child is not a problem for me, it would be like raising a nephew or something. :lol:

I can't just abandon that poor soul like his/her father...

Western Europeans seem to have forgotten about the ideals and emotional attachment, which marriages bring, it's all turning into a miniature United States. :coffee:

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 11:58 AM
To be honest, I'd rather marry a woman who already has a child, than a whore who wants one.
Raising another man's child is not a problem for me, it would be like raising a nephew or something. :lol:
I can't just abandon that poor soul like his/her father...
Western Europeans seem to have forgotten about the ideals and emotional attachment, which marriages bring, it's all turning into a miniature United States. :coffee:

loving a child even if it is not your own its very sweet :) ofc I aggree I would raise a child and love it just like mine :)

But... Whore wanting a child? Becoming a mother is a gift from god, every woman would love to get that feeling...

Arbėrori
05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
lBut... Whore wanting a child? Becoming a mother is a gift from god, every woman would love to get that feeling...

There are stupid women, I call whores, who want to have a child just because it would be trendy or a show off. They don't even love or wish the best for that child, a friend of mine has got such a mother, she is the strongest person I know... :(

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 12:01 PM
There are stupid women, I call whores, who want to have a child just because it would be trendy or a show off. They don't even love or wish the best for that child, a friend of mine has got such a mother, she is the strongest person I know... :(

this is sad, having a child should have terms & conditions like "loving it more than anything" ;)

Arbėrori
05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
this is sad, having a child should have terms & conditions like "loving it more than anything" ;)

Exactly, but well luckily, she had an older sister who always watched after her, they're very successful nowadays. :)

But seriously, why would you do that to your child... I think her mother is too preoccupied with her pathetic life, to even care.

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Exactly, but well luckily, she had an older sister who always watched after her, they're very successful nowadays. :)
But seriously, why would you do that to your child... I think her mother is too preoccupied with her pathetic life, to even care.

i hate to say that, but not all people should be able to reproduce.... :p

Arbėrori
05-10-2013, 12:05 PM
i hate to say that, but not all people should be able to reproduce.... :p

http://i.imgur.com/alShZV3.gif

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 12:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/alShZV3.gif

:p I am just being Nazi :p

Arbėrori
05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
:p I am just being Nazi :p

Fuck Nazis, you're too pretty! :kiss:

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 12:11 PM

:p :rolleyes:

Sarmatian
05-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Sex is about feeling good. Not all people relate it with emotions and I am not going to judge them. And someone who is stupid enough not to use protection with an unkown person???? I wish he never has kids at all ;)
But even if i am with a guy and gets me pregnant i will not just marry him. I want to be sure about his feelings and how trustworthy he is...

"I feel that you shouldn't get involved in an intimate relationship until you are emotionally mature enough to handle it totally, able to cope with your feelings and your sexuality without guilt, inhibition or phoniness but with love, tenderness and honesty"

Not my words but I fully support this statement. Because this is the only way to maintain personal integrity and being capable to create environment favorable for raising kids.

For the first time in the history of humanity for majority of people sex became something similar in its value to a pair of 'made in china' shoes. One can do what he/she pleases: give it away, share with friends, throw it out easily and get a new etc. The whole cultures and traditions that were slowly built with family and intimacy in its core are now flushed down the toilet. Rules that allowed people not just to survive for centuries but make every next generation a little better/smarter/more advanced than previous are now ridiculed by masses.

Time will show where we will end up with such attitude.

Sarmatian
05-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Control your med behavior :p

Tyfani
05-10-2013, 12:54 PM
^Sarmatian you are so right, my friend :)