PDA

View Full Version : BNP welcomes chance to appear on BBC's Question Time

Phlegethon
09-07-2009, 08:19 AM
BNP welcomes chance to appear on BBC's Question Time (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/sep/06/nick-griffin-question-time)

Other parties say Nick Griffin appearance will give them opportunity to challenge views of far-right party

* Sam Jones
* guardian.co.uk, Sunday 6 September 2009 17.24 BST

The British National party has welcomed the BBC's decision to allow its leader, Nick Griffin, to appear on Question Time following the far-right party's success in the European elections.

Although the BBC has yet to issue a formal invitation, the corporation is preparing to ask Griffin to join the panel show and is already consulting other parties about appearing with him.

The party, which won two seats in the European parliament in June, has not appeared on the programme before. Some parties, including Labour, have previously refused to share a platform with the BNP because of its policies on race. A spokesman for the party said yesterday: "Obviously it's good news. Of late, a large proportion of Question Time has been devoted to assaults on the BNP, so it's rather welcome that we are allowed to defend ourselves."

He attacked the Labour party over its past refusal to share a stage with its members and accused the government of using its equality watchdog to attack the BNP.

Referring to the Equality and Human Rights Commission's decision to take the BNP to court over its constitution – which states that only "'indigenous Caucasian' and defined 'ethnic groups' emanating from that race" are allowed to join – he said: "If anybody has an excuse for not sharing a platform with a political party, it should be us and the Labour party, but we believe in the democratic process."

After years of discussions, the BBC is understood to have decided in February that the BNP would have to be allowed to appear on Question Time if it attracted significant support in the European elections. Other smaller parties elected to the European parliament, such as the Green party and Ukip, have been represented.

A BBC spokeswoman said it was obliged to treat all legal political parties registered with the Electoral Commission with due impartiality. "Our audiences – and the electorate – will make up their own minds about the different policies offered by elected politicians," she said.

A Labour party spokesman said the BBC's decision had forced it to review its position of never sharing a platform with the BNP, while the Conservatives said they would treat Griffin's appearance on Question Time like "any other programme" and would ensure a senior Tory was present to counter his arguments.

"We have seen the BNP do well in areas where people haven't been prepared to tackle them and now they are elected we have got to face up to that reality," said a Conservative spokesman.

A Liberal Democrat spokesman said: "If they're being given the opportunity to debate, then we will appear with them and do our best to argue against them vigorously and to shut out their support."

One anti-fascist group has already said it will stage a demonstration outside Broadcasting House this week to protest against the BBC's decision. Weyman Bennett from Unite Against Fascism accused the corporation of being "complacent and naive" by treating the BNP as a "normal political party". He said: "We will send the BBC a letter saying that it's not legitimate to give them a platform of respectability when they have a policy of discriminating against people on grounds of race."

Freomæg
09-07-2009, 08:40 AM
It goes without saying that this is probably going to be the most watched episode of Question Time ever.

Liffrea
09-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Phlegethon
Other parties say Nick Griffin appearance will give them opportunity to challenge views of far-right party

Really? From what I have read most are refusing to share a platform with them. Of course the easiest way to end the rise of the BNP if they are just a bunch of “evil racists, Nazis, Fascists, kidnappers, child molesters, holocaust deniers, agents of Thule, alien invaders, the real assassins of Kennedy, responsible for the death of Michael Jackson (insert selected BS here)” would be to have them on just such a show and show them up.

I’ll believe it when it’s on, I won’t hold my breath….

Poltergeist
09-07-2009, 02:48 PM
which states that only "'indigenous Caucasian' and defined 'ethnic groups' emanating from that race" are allowed to join

So they receive in their ranks only Armenians, Georgians, Azeris, Abkhazians, Ossetians, Chechens, Ingushetians, Adigeys, Mingrelians, Dagestanis and Ajaris?:eek:

Murphy
09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I think the BNP will be prepared for almost anything that will be thrown at them by the major parties in the UK, so I believe they will do quite well for themselves here. I'll be watching it to see how the handle themselves in the arena.

Regards,
Eóin.

Skandi
09-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I think the BNP will be prepared for almost anything that will be thrown at them by the major parties in the UK, so I believe they will do quite well for themselves here. I'll be watching it to see how the handle themselves in the arena.

Regards,
Eóin.

I hope you are right, but I fear that you are wrong.

Murphy
09-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I hope you are right, but I fear that you are wrong.

I am only speculating of course. The BNP has been around for years and has pretty much probably answered the mainline objections against them. Perhaps they have answered well and it hasn't been publicised or perhaps they have continually flopped. I haven't really kept track.

I think it will also matter if it is a live broadcast or not. I think a live broadcast could do the BNP damage because an audience tends to be more ruthless than the personalities on stage. I think in the end it will go one of two ways: the BNP will show they can go at it with the top guns and demonstrate they are a viable alternative in British politics or they will crash and burn completely destroying any possibility of getting somewhere worth while in the political arena.

I may be exaggerating the influence the show could have on public opinion, however :p.

Regards,
Eóin.

Poltergeist
09-07-2009, 03:59 PM
I may be exaggerating the influence the show could have on public opinion, however.

It can exert influence only on the undecided ones.

Fortis in Arduis
09-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I think that Simon Darby and Nick Griffin have had a lot of experience debating and defending their position and I would be more worried that the programme would not be live and would be edited unfairly.

Oh, the oxygen of publicity... :)

Liffrea
09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
There is a difference between what the BNP campaign for, which a number of opinion polls suggest the majority agree with, and the BNP themselves, which most opinion polls suggest the majority of the public do not support.

The message has, by and large, never been the problem, the BNP (or rather crack pot elements within it) have been the problem.

I’ve seen Nick speak on several occasions, I have taken part in open question and answer debates in which I asked Nick a question in person, I’ve never spoken to him privately, BNP events I have been to in which he has attended usually have him going through the crowd and speaking to people. From what I have observed he has been an excellent speaker and able to answer questions articulately and to the point. However that has been amongst a friendly audience.