PDA

View Full Version : Christian churches back Jews facing anti-Semitism in Hungary

Baluarte
05-14-2013, 09:42 AM
http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/files/2013/05/hegedus.jpg

(Protestant pastor Lorant Hegedus hides behind the stage as his wife Eniko Kovacs Hegedus (unseen) steps up to speak, during a rally against World Jewish Congress Plenary Assembly attended by hundreds of far-right supporters in Budapest May 4, 2013. REUTERS/Laszlo Balogh)

When Hungarian radical right-wingers rallied against a Jewish conference in Budapest in early May, a well-known Protestant pastor hid behind the stage while his wife stepped up to the podium to denounce Jews and Israel.

Lorant Hegedus could have preached the same anti-Semitism as his wife, a deputy for the populist Jobbik party in parliament. But his part in launching the rally may cost him his role as the far-right’s favorite clergyman.

With anti-Semitism on the rise here, Christian churches are working with the Jewish community to counter the provocations against Jews and the Roma minority that have won Jobbik support among voters fed up with the country’s economic crisis.

The Hungarian Reformed Church has begun proceedings that might end up defrocking Hegedus and depriving him of his high-profile base at the Homeland Church on the upscale Freedom Square, near the central bank and the United States embassy.

“This is a permanent provocation,” Gusztav Bolcskei, the Church’s presiding bishop, said of Hegedus’s political activity. “It has nothing to do with the Gospel.”

Hungary’s small community of 80,000-100,000 Jews appreciates the Christian support. “We’re satisfied with the actions of the churches,” said Peter Feldmajer, who stepped down as head of the community on Sunday.

“I think, at the end of the day, he will be fired,” he said. Hegedus declined to be interviewed for this article.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing to expect of Protestantism.

Philo
05-14-2013, 09:45 AM
So much for Baluarte just being anti-Zionist and not hating all Jews.

Anglojew
05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
So much for Baluarte just being anti-Zionist and not hating all Jews.

He's admitted before be hates Jews.

I'm pretty sure he's either (part) Persian or Lebanese and being paid by Iran.

ariel
05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
baluarte are a self-hater lol

Baluarte
05-14-2013, 10:53 AM
He's admitted before be hates Jews.

Total slander. I've never said I hate all Jews. That kind of endemic hate belongs to other cultures, not mine.

I've read Jewish-born authors that I find quite good, and even the symbol of Jesus Christ represents a Jewish man who trascends his tribal constraints, and brings peace to the world. Quite saying even if you don't believe in it.

Philo
05-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Total slander. I've never said I hate all Jews. That kind of endemic hate belongs to other cultures, not mine.

I've read Jewish-born authors that I find quite good, and even the symbol of Jesus Christ represents a Jewish man who trascends his tribal constraints, and brings peace to the world. Quite saying even if you don't believe in it.

Why did you write this than?:

It's as if you're disappointed that those churches stood up against Jew-hatred. Jew-hatred, not Anti-Zionism.

Szegedist
05-14-2013, 02:06 PM

Exactly the same thing would have happened in Catholicism. In fact all major Churches in Hungary take the Jews side. Dont try to play the denomination card here when it has nothing to do with it.

Mason8
05-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Jesus Christ represents a Jewish man who trascends his tribal constraints, and brings peace to the world

Did he do ? I guess not yet . We all are trying to bring peace to the world .

Baluarte
05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I sincerely that by "we" you don't mean International Jewry.