PDA

View Full Version : At My Father's Knee...

Gwynyvyr
09-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Not sure where to put this, so mods, stick it where it is most appropriate!

My question to all is:
What did you learn about race from your parents? Which parent influenced you the most?

My father was not a mean or hateful man, yet he had strong feelings about race.
He was career military. He never once used the *N* word in my presence. Not in my entire life.
He trained recruits and was a range and sniper instructor which means he had to deal with every ethnic group that was in the Army. He never got further than 10th grade and belatedly got his GED when he was in his 40s.
He had no problems with his children attending school or having friends of other races.
BUT...he in no way, shape or form would have allowed one of his 3 daughters to date or marry someone of another race. I honestly think he would have shot any guy of another race and gone to prison for it before allowing that to occur.

Now, you can laugh...but here are some things my father told me while I was growing up (his understanding of race, evolution and all of it):

The different races evolved differently. Because Whites went north, they needed to eat more animal fats and proteins, so they developed larger brains.

Negros, living in Africa, ate lower quality proteins, thus developed smaller brains.

In fact, the different races all evolved differently due to diet and environment.

"Mixed race" children were to be pitied as they would inherit the worst aspects of both races and would have physical and mental health problems all their lives. To have a child with someone of another race was a cruel act that would produce an inferior human who would never find total acceptance and could never fully enjoy life.

Negroes evolved to be violent. My father firmly believed that Negroes did not have the mental capacity to control their behaviors vis-a-vis rape, assault, murder, etc.
Never trust a Negro. Ever.

The ethnic groups from the Middle East, including Jews, Arabs, etc. all carried diseases. Some of this was due to their environment and cultural/religious customs, but some of it was also due to their ancestry. To marry or co-habit with one was guarantee of an early death for any woman foolish enough to do so. (And honestly, the 3 White women I know that married a middle-easterner--two married Jewish men, one married an Arabic man---all three died of cervical cancer before the age of 40!)

That's just a few of my fathers opinions...

My mother also did not approve of "race-mixing". My mother, who at age 81 is a speed demon--still racking up tickets:rolleyes: --is one of the sweetest ladies you would ever want to meet. She is unfailingly polite to everyone she encounters. She has also never said the *N* word...heck, I have only heard her say TWO cuss words in my entire life! (She burned her hand on the stove...I heard her say "DAMN!" and when she dropped the pan "SHIT!") She also has pronounced "Negro" as "Nigra" her entire life. Including in front of *Nigras*.

Go ahead and chuckle at my parents....what did you learn from yours?

And the header was supposed to be AT my fathers kneee...can someone fix that for me?

Allenson
09-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I remember my grandfather telling me, when I was just young feller', that whites were the cream-of-the-crop of humanity. I have a recollection of him citing European civilization & world wide explorations as evidence of this.....

Liffrea
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Nothing much really, just the low level racism common in most households “pakis” this “nigs” that, it’s always been a macro vs micro situation. Most people tend to get along with other people, I’ve had Asian and black friends but on a group level it’s natural to stick with your own. My dad’s made comments about “coons” and the like in the past but I don’t think he would have gone off on one if I had brought a black or Asian girl home, hypocrisy and contradiction exist in most, if not all people, on many levels.

I would say that overall my father has a somewhat negative attitude to blacks but then given I live on an “enriched” council estate and see or hear about muggings, theft, shootings on a fairly regular basis 99% of which are black related it’s probably easy to see why, I tend to give everyone a chance but I would be a liar if I claimed not to have a level of suspicion where blacks are concerned, something I don’t have with Asians.

Learned or acquired? Personally I believe both, it’s human nature to be suspicious of those who are not of our tribe, we’re naturally ethnocentric, and life experience adds to that, there is a reason that society is segregated racially in America, Britain, France and South Africa. I’ve known decent blacks but most I’ve known I dislike, not because of race but because of their attitude, you live and learn, I’ve learned to keep blacks at arms length until I have a good reason not to.

Æmeric
09-09-2009, 12:23 AM
My father use to slipup & call Negroes "colored". He didn't like Puerto Ricans. He would talk about his army days (early 1950s) & about those dumb PRs who had come into the army during WWII & they stayed on as lifers. The most worthless people on the planet. But he had a facination with American Indians & thier culture.

My mother doesn't like Orientals. I'm not sure why, I think it is because of the WWII proganda she was exposed to in the early 40s & the fact that her father was wounded by the Japanese.:coffee:

Jägerstaffel
09-09-2009, 12:50 AM
My family never much have mentioned race.

We were taught to be proud of our own culture not to dislike another.

Electronic God-Man
09-09-2009, 07:23 PM
There was another thread quite similar to this, so I won't repeat myself here. I do have a fun little anecdote though.

For a period of time my dad was very much into Hootie and the Blowfish. Whenever we were in the car and one of their songs came on he'd sing along. Then one day a Hootie and the Blowfish tune started on the radio and my dad didn't seem very interested. I asked him what was wrong. With a look of disbelief he said to me "Someone told me Hootie was black...is that true??" I told him yes and my brother and I laughed. He never mentioned Hootie and the Blowfish again. I think he was just really surprised. :D

ZU-T_MgIbBk

Æmeric
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, Hootie has gone country. (http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/rucker_darius/artist.jhtml):rolleyes2:

Octothorpe
09-12-2009, 01:20 PM
My mother was a public-school teacher, and had swallowed the Progessive line. Always going on about how everyone is equal, how we should all walk together, blah-blah-blah. My brother and I believed it, of course, until we actually met real black people. What a shock it was to see how unequal the races actually are!

Dad, on the other hand, was pretty much a redneck. He didn't say much to us, and even chastised his own father for saying 'nigger' in front of us. However, it was quite clear to us that he didn't think much of blacks, and, when the Japanese took over his factory, East Asians (I personally have no problem with East Asians).

My military experiences also helped shape my racial views. No black in uniform ever impressed me as being able to compete with a competent European-American (I've also met too many stupid whites, sad to say). Some would work hard, but many were also promoted far above their competency level.

The older I get, and the more I experience, the more 'racially aware' I am--the exact opposite of what Progressives claim to be the normal path!