PDA

View Full Version : Orbán says “unfair” Europe must not turn back on Christian roots

Szegedist
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
if Europe betrays its Christian roots and gives up its traditions it will have no strength left for renewal after the crisis, Prime Minister Viktor Orban said at the Cistercian Abbey of Zirc (W) on Wednesday.

Speaking at the inauguration ceremony of the refurbished abbey, Orban said that “Europe is sometimes unfair, it abuses its power, and is more indulgent with countries that stay quiet.”

Hungary, however, must not turn its back on its own traditions because “we can only become a strong country if we walk our own way, and build on the values of our Hungarian and Christian culture,” he said.

The prime minister announced that the government will return the local botanical gardens — nationalised after WWII — to the Cistercian order.

Orban spoke highly of the order’s efforts and said that “as teachers they have earned a high reputation all over the country”.

On the subject of better-than-expected GDP figures published earlier in the day, the prime minister said that 2013 was “a year of harvest” after three years of efforts. He said that Hungary’s GDP growing by 0.7 percent on the previous quarter was one of the signs indicating that the economy was back on a growth path.

Orban said that “though not all problems have been solved”, 160,000 more people had a job than in 2010, and pensions and minimum wages had been increased above inflation.

“There is a fair chance that the country will get higher and higher as a result of efforts during the past three years,” he said.

The abbey, founded in 1182, and the main square of Zirc have been renewed out of a budget of 700 million forints (EUR 2.4m), including a European Union subsidy of 600 million forints.

Baluarte
05-16-2013, 08:30 PM
The only leader to have a clue about this subject.

Cheers Hungary :thumb001:

Szegedist
05-16-2013, 08:32 PM
The only leader to have a clue about this subject.

Cheers Hungary :thumb001:

Orbán says what the population wants to hear... I have doubts (with good reason) about how serious he really is about this. I do not trust him.

Baluarte
05-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Still beats the indifference of most countries, and certainly better than the cultural betrayal of the French Republic.

And if Hungarians want to have Christianity (if I'm not mistaken you country is majority Catholic) defended, it only speaks highly of you. Light years ahead of decadent societies.

I think about England where a party has to actively "not look racist" to get ahead in the polls :picard2:

Szegedist
05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Still beats the indifference of most countries, and certainly better than the cultural betrayal of the French Republic.

And if Hungarians want to have Christianity (if I'm not mistaken you country is majority Catholic) defended, it only speaks highly of you. Light years ahead of decadent societies.

I think about England where a party has to actively "not look racist" to get ahead in the polls :picard2:

http://oi46.tinypic.com/vuk5d.jpg