PDA

View Full Version : Surname Arnautovic

Ushtari
05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
This surname is, as far as i know, quite common in Bosnia. Arnaut is as commonly known, the turkish term for Albanians. And the only logical conclusion for a Bosnian to have surname Arnautovic would be that they were originally Albanians.

We also know that hercegovina had an important albanian presence earlier. Are these Bosnians descendants of these?

morski
05-22-2013, 11:38 AM
It doesn't necessarily work like that. Plenty of Arnaudov surnames in Bulgaria, mostly Macedonian Bulgarians coming from Albania proper or places like Debar, their new neighbours called them Arnauts since they came from the Arnautluk, not because they were ethnically Albs.

blabla
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Dont know about Bosnia, but in Serbia, Sumadija to be precise, this last name was given to serbian newcomers from Kosovo.

el22
05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Dont know about Bosnia, but in Serbia, Sumadija to be precise, this last name was given to serbian newcomers from Kosovo.

Does this mean that Serbs considered Kosova Arnautllek (the country of Arnauts/Albanians) ?

blabla
05-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Does this mean that Serbs considered Kosova Arnautllek (the country of Arnauts/Albanians) ?

Of course not, newcomers from Vojvodina got last names like Madzarevic, from Bosnia Bosnjakovic etc...

Methmatician
05-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Of course not, newcomers from Vojvodina got last names like Madzrevic, from Bosnia Bosnjakovic etc...

Why would they give Serbs ethnic surnames if they didn't consider those lands foreign? Would have made more sense for Vojvodinans to to be called Vojvođanin.

el22
05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Of course not, newcomers from Vojvodina got last names like Madzrevic, from Bosnia Bosnjakovic etc...

Well, if they were Serbs (as you said) coming from another area of Serbia (Kosova), why should they get the surname Arnautovic/Albanianovic?

morski
05-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Well, if they were Serbs (as you said) coming from another area of Serbia (Kosova), why should they get the surname Arnautovic/Albanianovic?

Because of the Albanians living in this region. People were rather sedentary 100-150 years ago, so any newcomer would automatically be called in such a way as to distinguish them from the locals.

sido
05-22-2013, 02:07 PM
In our case it is very possible they had albanian background,we have many families that used to be albanian,but now they are totally assimilated into bosniak muslims

Bosnjakinja
05-22-2013, 04:45 PM
This surname is, as far as i know, quite common in Bosnia. Arnaut is as commonly known, the turkish term for Albanians. And the only logical conclusion for a Bosnian to have surname Arnautovic would be that they were originally Albanians.

We also know that hercegovina had an important albanian presence earlier. Are these Bosnians descendants of these?

Like someone said, doesnt mean they were originally Albanian but rather that they came from Albanian speaking lands.

Selma Harrington (born Arnautovic) is the most prominent Bosniak with that surname she is the president of the Architects' Council of Europe:

http://www.riai.ie/uploads/files/harrington_selma.jpg

Hurrem sultana
05-22-2013, 08:44 PM
who the hell is selma harrington

ChocolateFace
05-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Once I saw the surname Arnautovic I assumed Slavicised Albanian.

ALSh
05-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Once I saw the surname Arnautovic I assumed Slavicised Albanian.

As all bosniaks :cool:

Ushtari
05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
yea ho teh hell is selma

gregorius
05-23-2013, 12:16 PM
I know some dutch arnouts too, didnt know they were alb0z, but they look like ghegs now you mention it :cool:

Hurrem sultana
05-23-2013, 12:25 PM
There are also albos with last name Bosnjaku

Ushtari
05-23-2013, 12:35 PM
^^ hehe nice try Halida

Teh number of Arnautovic is way higher than teh number of Boshnjaku

Hurrem sultana
05-23-2013, 12:37 PM
^^ hehe nice try Halida

Teh number of Arnautovic is way higher than teh number of Boshnjaku

Not true Mahmud :)

Ushtari
05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Not true Mahmud :)
y r u lyin?

I personally know Arnautovic and i dont even live in Balkan, how many Boshnjaku do u know?

Prengs
05-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Have also Bosnaks with typical Albanian clan surnames like Hotic, Gashic, Shaljic ect.

Hurrem sultana
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Have also Bosnaks with typical Albanian clan surnames like Hotic, Gashic, Shaljic ect.

Hotic probably,but the other 2 no

Cokolino
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
These types of surnames, inspired by toponyms and etnonyms, are not unusual in Bosnia.
We got Bošnjak, Bosnić, Bošnjaković, Bosanac, Arnautović, Arnaut, Hrvatović, Hrvat, Madžar
Srbljanin, Hercegovac, Hercegović, Vlahović...
Also Mostarac, Varešanović, Sarajlija, Maglajlija, Tešnjak, Skopljak...surnames derived from
the towns the families originated from.

Hurrem sultana
05-23-2013, 12:49 PM
We also have the famous mosque Arnaudija,i wonder how she got that name?

Prengs
05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Hotic probably,but the other 2 no

Gašić and Šaljić, these surname are also common among montengrins.

Hurrem sultana
05-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Never heard before

Cokolino
05-23-2013, 01:00 PM
We also have the famous mosque Arnaudija,i wonder how she got that name?

Good question...At the entrance of the mosque the name was written as; Defterdar Mosque
I don`t know why the people of Banja Luka started to call her Arnaudija...

Prengs
05-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Never heard before

You can search in google and you find alot people with these surnames.
Also Bušatlić (from Albanian clan, Bushati) is common among Bosnaks.

Cokolino
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I haven`t heard of those last names either :p

Ushtari
05-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Yea beacause "Gašić" sounds so foreign to you Bosniaks :rolleyes:

Prengs
05-23-2013, 01:45 PM
I am surprised, also Gegić and Toskić are very common among Bosnaks.
Found from this article http://www.oscebih.org/documents/osce_bih_doc_2011022813425011cro.pdf claim to be Albanian descend.

I searched and found alot bosnaks with these surnames.

Ushtari
05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Bosnija je Albanija

Bosnjakinja
05-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Yea beacause "Gašić" sounds so foreign to you Bosniaks :rolleyes:

Google Gašić and you will find a lot of Serbian names (Milica, Dana, Nikola, Srdjan) but no Bosniak ones. I personally haven't heard of that name until today.

I'm sure some of the names you've mentioned in this thread exist among Bosniaks but they are not very common like you say.

Hurrem sultana
05-23-2013, 04:36 PM
You can search in google and you find alot people with these surnames.
Also Bušatlić (from Albanian clan, Bushati) is common among Bosnaks.

Busatlic is from the turkish/arabic Bushatli,Bushatlija

ALSh
05-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Nah it is not. Bushati is one of most important tribe in Shkoder, where the most important person has been Karamahmut pashe Bushati, lider of Pashallek of Shkoder

Hurrem sultana
05-23-2013, 08:58 PM
lol who are you to tell it is not? what do we have to do with your tribe? i am sure there is some afrian bushati tribe as well

as i said busatlic comes from BUSHATLI,there is also the name BUSATLIJA

Arianiti
05-23-2013, 09:10 PM

What does that mean in that language if it really exists?

Arianiti
05-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Google Gašić and you will find a lot of Serbian names (Milica, Dana, Nikola, Srdjan) but no Bosniak ones. I personally haven't heard of that name until today.

I'm sure some of the names you've mentioned in this thread exist among Bosniaks but they are not very common like you say.

Gasic should be Albanian surname, that was transformed into slavic or serbian by adding ic to it. I'm sure that are Albanians who have been slavized during our history.

ALSh
05-23-2013, 09:37 PM
lol who are you to tell it is not? what do we have to do with your tribe? i am sure there is some afrian bushati tribe as well

as i said busatlic comes from BUSHATLI,there is also the name BUSATLIJA

Basicly u are saying that Busatlic have more chanses to be relaten with african bushati tribe than Albanian tribe :laugh: