PDA

View Full Version : Help with runescript

Hweinlant
09-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I found this fragment from Russian language website about Ingermanland/St. Petersburg. Supposedly there was runestone located somewhere near the Estonian border at Ingermanland. Stone itself has disappeared (no wonder considering where it was located and massive destruction on the area by WW2) but the runes were copied into paper which was put into archives of NKVD (proto-KGB).

http://www.aroundspb.ru/guide/west/estonitravel/0201.gif

What is written there ?

Sol Invictus
09-13-2009, 06:59 AM
ksewerubegae

pushnaji

kristalnojisti

womnogihdnja

Some letters missing off the script that I couldn't make out

Hweinlant
09-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Some letters missing off the script that I couldn't make out

Is this old or new futhark ?

Brynhild
09-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Is this old or new futhark ?

Looks like the elder Futhark. I've come up with pretty much the same spelling as VA did. If it's translated from Russian, it would only make any sort of sense to them.

Hweinlant
09-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Looks like the elder Futhark. I've come up with pretty much the same spelling as VA did. If it's translated from Russian, it would only make any sort of sense to them.

Please post your spelling. It can not be Russian (nor any Slavic) if it is elder Futhark. Late proto-Balto-Finnic or proto-Norse are only options. Actual old Russian is medieval, not much older than 13th century. Oldest vernacular(Bulgarian Slavic) birchbark letters found at Novgorod are from 11th century.

Afaik transition from elder to younger Futhark happened around 700 - 800 AD ?

Osweo
09-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Ah, it IS Russky!

Sort of, anyway...

ksewerubegae
k severu begae...
to the north ?running?

pushnaji
?
furs? pelts?

kristalnojisti
of crystal ???

womnogihdnja
vo mnogikh dnya..
in many days

I doubt, nay, refute its genuineness.

Brynhild
09-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Please post your spelling. It can not be Russian (nor any Slavic) if it is elder Futhark. Late proto-Balto-Finnic or proto-Norse are only options. Actual old Russian is medieval, not much older than 13th century. Oldest vernacular(Bulgarian Slavic) birchbark letters found at Novgorod are from 11th century.

Afaik transition from elder to younger Futhark happened around 700 - 800 AD ?

Notice, first of all, that I said if it was translated from Russian. I said that only because the spelling makes no sense in English, and it would depend solely on when it was written in the first place.

I also said that I came up with the same spelling as VA, so I saw no need to repost the same thing. However, since you asked, I will be accommodating. :D

Ksewerubegae
Pushnajadiji
Kristalnojisti
Womnogihdnja

Edit: I've just read Oswiu's post. If any sense can be made of it, he's the honourary Russophile around here. :P

Hweinlant
09-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Kse*weru*begae
Pushna*ja*diji
Kristalnojisti
Womnogihdnja

Ja is Finnish/Gothic for "and". I'm not sure if ja/jah has relation here. Howabout weru ? Ware , the gears. Kse = Kysy = to ask ?.Begae = Personal name ?

Osweo
09-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Ksewerubegae
Pushnajadiji
Kristalnojisti
Womnogihdnja
Ah, VA missed the last letters on the second line!

We can definitely say that a considerable section is missing on the right. Pushnaya is definitely a female adjective for pelts. What the corresponding noun might be I cannot say. The isti on the third row might well be istiny - 'of truth' - for what that's worth. It's fairly modern Russian, too. :rolleyes:

Edit: I've just read Oswiu's post. If any sense can be made of it, he's the honourary Russophile around here. :P
Хехе, not honourary, but fully convicted! Go check out my last posts on Skadi for that! :D

I have several times been awarded 'honourary Russky' status, however. :thumbs up

Osweo
09-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Ja is Finnish/Gothic for "and". I'm not sure if ja/jah has relation here. Howabout weru ? Ware , the gears. Kse = Kysy = to ask ?.Begae = Personal name ?

No mate, it's definitely Russian, and most likely a very poor hoax.

Hweinlant
09-19-2009, 08:53 PM
No mate, it's definitely Russian, and most likely a very poor hoax.

Indeed, Looks like too close to modern Russian language which absolutely did not exist during period of Elder Futhark. This is one of those pan-slavic bolshevik lies.

Osweo
09-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Indeed, Looks like too close to modern Russian language which absolutely did not exist during period of Elder Futhark. This is one of those pan-slavic bolshevik lies.
Hmm, well, no. Bolsheviks had better things to do with their time. I'd say this was more likely drawn up by some kids in a Leningrad uchilishche in their lunchbreak. Where did you get it from? Did the source claim an ancient origin?

Hweinlant
09-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Hmm, well, no. Bolsheviks had better things to do with their time. I'd say this was more likely drawn up by some kids in a Leningrad uchilishche in their lunchbreak. Where did you get it from? Did the source claim an ancient origin?

Bolsheviks did not have any better time than falsifying history. It was their main work. This runestone was "found" from Inkeri. called Leningrad oblast even today.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingria

You understand "cryptillic" Russian ?

http://priozersk.lenobl.ru/cultura/konkurs/day_sity

They "liberated Priozersk/Käkisalmi from the Nazi's".... Real meaning: Bolsheviks occupied and caused ethnic cleansing there.. This is what I mean. They really falsified stuff, and many people in Russia still believe it.

Osweo
09-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Bolsheviks did not have any better time than falsifying history. It was their main work. This runestone was "found" from Inkeri. called Leningrad oblast even today.....
I know where Inkermanland is, and that the Finns and their eastern kin have, putting it mildly, been rather unlucky in their history.

You understand "cryptillic" Russian ?

http://priozersk.lenobl.ru/cultura/konkurs/day_sity

They "liberated Priozersk/Käkisalmi from the Nazi's".... Real meaning: Bolsheviks occupied and caused ethnic cleansing there.. This is what I mean. They really falsified stuff, and many people in Russia still believe it.
Я понимаю, Товарищ. The Soviets conquered the town, butchered people, and now the descendants of the people who they moved in their have a municipal celebration every year. What do you want them to do, spend their lives hanging their heads in shame? You lost, they won, that's history. :shrug:

NOW, I have never seen this silly rune text put forward by official Russian organs to 'prove' anything. There's no propaganda here. Just people playing with scripts - I do the same on the back of my notebooks myself. :rolleyes:

Hweinlant
09-19-2009, 10:48 PM
The Soviets conquered the town, butchered people, and now the descendants of the people who they moved in their have a municipal celebration every year. What do you want them to do, spend their lives hanging their heads in shame? You lost, they won, that's history. :shrug:

Well, no butchering happened as all Finns were evacuated. Problem is the falsification. They say that there was "nazis" and city was liberated. A) There was no "nazi" b) it was not liberated as the real citizes were (with millenial roots) evacuated into Finland as city was Finnish. These modern Käkisalmians are nothing but aggressive occupiers themselves. Atleast they should celebrate 65th year of Russian occupation of Finnish land instead of 65th year of liberation.. Commie history writing is cryptillic.

NOW, I have never seen this silly rune text put forward by official Russian organs to 'prove' anything. There's no propaganda here. Just people playing with scripts - I do the same on the back of my notebooks myself. :rolleyes:

Me too, thats why I asked. Any Elder Futhark would be from period Hermanaric's ruledom. Likely east Germanic, Gothic script. This one was not. One more panslavic/bolshevik lie busted.

Osweo
09-19-2009, 10:56 PM
One more panslavic/bolshevik lie busted.
I'm so delighted to have been part of this great and glorious victory.

Now let's all play Sibelius's 'Karelia' very loud, while wrapped in the holy blue-and-white, and down a few bottles of cheap Russian import vodka in celebration! :cheers:

These modern Käkisalmians are nothing but aggressive occupiers themselves.
http://www.priozersk.lenobl.ru/Pictures/big177921121137438.jpg
http://www.priozersk.com/forum/images/avatars/13405661444a40c33d03482.jpg
http://www.vesty.spb.ru/gaz_images/2940/0860.jpg
Eek!

Hweinlant
09-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Now let's all play Sibelius's 'Karelia' very loud, while wrapped in the holy blue-and-white, and down a few bottles of cheap Russian import vodka in celebration! :cheers:

Cheap Russian vodka ? How low of you. Proper Finnish Koskenkorva or Finlandia Vodka are more into celebration. Music is not that bad tho'.

Hweinlant
09-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Eek!

Yes, even the occupiers do have children. Käkisalmi/Korela was Finnish/Karelian, now, slavic bolshevik 3rd world town.

Osweo
09-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Yes, even the occupiers do have children. Käkisalmi/Korela was Finnish/Karelian, now, slavic bolshevik 3rd world town.
SIGH... :(

I haven't been there, but have been to many provincial Russian towns in the North. It's not the Third World, and not inhabited by rabid Bolsheviks. It's probably a nice enough place with the usual parks and so on of Soviet town-planning. And the people are probably the same as people everywhere.

Please don't get all fanatical. It doesn't help your cause.

Hweinlant
09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
SIGH... :(

I haven't been there, but have been to many provincial Russian towns in the North. It's not the Third World, and not inhabited by rabid Bolsheviks. It's probably a nice enough place with the usual parks and so on of Soviet town-planning. And the people are probably the same as people everywhere.

Please don't get all fanatical. It doesn't help your cause.

There is nothing fanatical here, really. Moden Käkisalmi is 3rd world as it gets. Viipuri is slightly better but still 3rd world. You really should go see those places and the stalinist pride the occupiers take. Living in near mudhouses, their mentality not much different from North Korea.

Honestly, if I would not have seen that by myself I prolly would not believe it. Difference in life standard on the different sides of the border are higher that between USA and Mexico, no joke.

Republic of Karelia or St. Petersburg are different thing. Karelian republic is at the level of Romania/Bulgaria or some other poor, poor, EU country, Spb is like 3rd world capitol with oil, rather good tho'. Karelian Isthmus (old Finland) is apocalyptic place. It's much worse than Russian standard (which is pretty fucked up outside of Moscow or Spb). Imo that is because people know they live on stolen land and have no roots. Future of arab-sand-nigger Europe ?

Hrolf Kraki
09-25-2009, 06:03 PM

Osweo
10-07-2009, 05:21 AM
Why oh why did I not simply look at the picture's URL....

k seweru begae...
pushnaja di...
kristalno jisti...
wo mnogih dnja...

к северу бегае-
пушная ди-
кристально чисты-
во многих днях
О Днях Странствий сохранилась старинная легенда, гласящая, что однажды блуждающий народ встретил на своем пути дорожный камень. Незримыми рунами на камне была выбита надпись, что
к северу от него бегает в изобилии
пушная дичь и переполнены рыбой
кристально чистые озера, а к югу,
во многих днях пути, радуют глаз изумрудные склоны холмов и сочатся сладким соком гроздья спелого винограда. Часть племени повернула на север, и так появились финны. Часть ушла на юг, и так появились венгры. Те же, кто не умел читать, остались в Эстонии.

Of the Days of Wandering, an ancient legend is preserved, according to which a nomadic people came across a roadside boulder. An insdription in weathered runes told that to the north there run in great numbers furry wild beasts and fish filled lakes of crystal purity, and to the south, by a road of many days' travel, emerald-green hillsides delight the eye and ripe grapes are almost bursting with sweet juice. Part of the tribe turned north and became the Finns. Part went south, becoming the Hungarians. And those who couldn't read, stayed there, in Estonia...

:rofl::clap::jump0000::pound:

IT'S A JOKE!

HWEINLANT, YOU ARE A PARANOID FOOL! Please tell me you knew the joke! :tongue:D:p

Hweinlant
10-09-2009, 10:38 PM
HWEINLANT, YOU ARE A PARANOID FOOL![/B]

Paranoid ? Not the right word :rolleyes:

Fry them in the butter.. I hope you get what I mean.

Please tell me you knew the joke! :tongue:D:p

Humour is in the eye of the tiger :D