PDA

View Full Version : What's the weirdest meal you've ever eaten?

Jimbo Gomez
09-12-2009, 05:26 PM
The thread title is simple enough. I'm talking about food, not something you accidentally ingested.

I'm not a very exotic eater, I can't even think of something I had that's weird enough to mention here. But I know there are lots of culinary adventurers out there, so who knows what surprising things we may read here.

Æmeric
09-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Rabbit. It looked like fried chicken, I mistook it for fried chicken. But it tasted different.

When I was younger I sat at dinner tables where squirrel was served but passed on it :eek:. Squirrel eating seems to have fallen out of favor over the last 30-40 years.

Loddfafner
09-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I ate squirrel, bear, and a few other critters as a kid. More recently, I made a stir fry out of the last appearance of the 17 year cicada.

Lady L
09-12-2009, 05:45 PM
I guess the weirdest thing would be frog legs :D

Skandi
09-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Rabbit wierd? I had to eat that at least once a week for years! I have had squirrel but I think the oddest thing would probably be some of the wild plants and fungi I eat,

Beefsteak fungus is going to win.
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2597&d=1252777800
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2598&d=1252777800

Loki
09-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, in South Africa I ate biltong of various kinds of animal ... including hippopotamus, giraffe and antelope. But I consider these more "normal" than seafood, which I only consumed on very special occasions.

Frigga
09-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I've eaten bat ray. :sick2:

For those who don't know what it is, it's related to sharks, and they have urea in their flesh, and it's nasty! You're supposed to soak the meat in either milk, baking soda water, or lemon juice and that is supposed to neutralize the urea, but it doesn't! :puke:

Fortis in Arduis
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
I ate durian in Malaysia (the smelly fruit); it had a delicious subtle flavour.

Really, that is all I can think of that could possibly be 'weird'.

Electronic God-Man
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
I've eaten squirrel, rabbit, bear, moose...but those aren't weird.

I have tried kangaroo jerkey. Is that weird? It tasted like every other jerkey.

Æmeric
09-12-2009, 06:57 PM
I guess the weirdest thing would be frog legs :D
I've decline those also. But they are considered a delicacy in some parts of the US. Some people think it is weird to decline frog legs.:hungry:

Rabbit wierd? I had to eat that at least once a week for years! I have had squirrel but I think the oddest thing would probably be some of the wild plants and fungi I eat,

Some people keep rabbits as pets. That's what makes it weird.

I thought squirrel eating was something done only in parts of the rural US. People actually eat them in other places?:confused: I always thought squirrels were almost-rodents.

I've have had game meat before, deer venison, wild boar & bison (though the bisons are now raised on ranches & are no longer in the wild in the US). I didn't think of it as weird though.

Ulf
09-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Scrapple. :thumb001:

Germanicus
09-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Here in Gloucester we have Elvers,we fish them out of the Severn river, the favorite way i eat them is to add them to an omlette.
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n449/ruffusruffcut/f_word_elvering_gallery_10--gt_full.jpg

Mrs Ulf
09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't really have any weird things. Weirdest thing I ever drank was Kombucha Tea. That was an interesting taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

My parents said I used to eat cat food when I was very little. Had to hide it from me, or so they say. lol Maybe I thought they were super tasty cheerios. :D Does that count?

Äike
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Live ants.

Rudy
09-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I have eaten turtle, smoked carp, and crawdads (river crustaceans). The only irregular food I would like to try again is venison (deer).

Mesrine
09-12-2009, 08:12 PM
July 1992 in Pennsylvania, at breakfast in a restaurant: ultra-heavy pancakes with ultra-greasy fried bacon and ultra-disgusting maple sirup. I'm still digesting it. *burp* :D

Ulf
09-12-2009, 08:18 PM
The only irregular food I would like to try again is venison (deer).

Irregular? That's the only reason I go hunting!

I've had snapper soup, wasn't too pleasant.

Gwynyvyr
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Balut and Century Egg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_%28egg%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

Century egg...not so bad.
Balut...never again...needed a LOT of sauce to choke it down.:bullet puke

Squirrel, deer, elk, moose, groundhog, rabbit, even beaver...I have hunted since childhood and was taught--if you kill it, you eat it!
Also got to go to a series of "Wild Feasts" (a once respected money making venture for charities), so I have had kangaroo, several types of impala and gazelle, whale, elephant, hippo (oh gag! Seriously NASTY tasting to me!) and, since this was back in the 70s, I have had some species that are now considered endangered.
Gotta say...the baby seal was sweet and tender.....

anonymaus
09-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Shredded Jellyfish soup in a vinegar broth with hundreds of wee tiny fish eyes floating in it.

Thanks, Cantonese cuisine!

(It's actually quite good)

Mrs Ulf
09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
July 1992 in Pennsylvania, at breakfast in a restaurant: ultra-heavy pancakes with ultra-greasy fried bacon and ultra-disgusting maple sirup. I'm still digesting it. *burp* :D

Score one for Pennsylvania. Proof that PA doesn't like Pansies. :coffee:

Rudy
09-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Irregular? That's the only reason I go hunting!
I was using this definition for irregular- not occurring at expected times
I have only had venison once, but it was good.

ikki
09-12-2009, 09:02 PM
a hamburger!

Damião de Góis
09-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Snails?

Grumpy Cat
09-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Whale blubber.

Treffie
09-12-2009, 10:00 PM
We eat cockles and bara lawr (laverbread or seaweed) quite often here. It may not look very appetising but it's really tasty and very healthy too.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-0I6GffR2eU/SV-RaKXe_nI/AAAAAAAADPE/lR2BvJhpQKw/IMG_5021.jpg

Vulpix
09-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Dry crispy Chinese seaweed I think... and some weird Taiwanese sweet-salty-and-sour candy.

Bari
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Raw octopus with arms, it didnt taste any better than it looked.

Psychonaut
09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
The weirdest (and possibly nastiest) food I've eaten was squid jerky. The dried snack of Cthulhu? ;)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/14183618_1d45a253f9.jpg

lei.talk
09-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I guess the weirdest thing would be frog legs :Dtree-rat (squirrel) is good eating (http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?p=602691#post602691).

if my maternal grand-mother was going to deep-fry the squirrels,
my grand-father prepared the heads
in a separate frying-pan

by filling the skillet
with the skull-tops down against the hot metal
only long enough to cook the crown
as brittle as a boiled-egg shell,

while, leaving the jaw cool enough to rest in one's palm
and, then, smacking the crown
with the convexity of a spoon -

picking out the shattered bits of skull-cap
and sucking out the brain.

a twelve-inch skillet-full of squirrel-heads
would be emptied in minutes. :hungry:

waste not; want not.

Atlas
09-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Seafood definitely. I hated it.

Snails, frog legs, I find that funny, none of my friends or relatives eat such things... stereotypes I guess.

Liffrea
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I was in France many years ago and I ordered Chicken, I got chicken and some white creamy sauce with it, which I proceeded to ingest, turns it out it was made from snails! Yuck, barbaric people!:p

Tolleson
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Frogs legs seem to have come up a bit. When I was younger and camping with my parents, a couple of us kids would head out and catch a bunch of larger frogs. Cut off the legs just at the lower part of the spine, skin them and then cook them on sticks over the open fire. :thumb001: Tastes just like chicken minus the soot. :)

Before Aemma and I were married, I still did alot of cooking at home for my parents. House Rule "If you are home first, you cook". Aemma was coming over for dinner, so I prepared a nice meatloaf and other fine things. After supper I asked her how she like the meal and she it was fine. I said "That good because the meatloaf was made out of bear meat." The look on her face was priceless. :eek:

She still married me and is still a bit leary when I say that supper will be mystery meat! :D

ikki
09-13-2009, 02:11 PM
The weirdest (and possibly nastiest) food I've eaten was squid jerky. The dried snack of Cthulhu? ;)

Hahah... and squid being so.. soft etc when cooked.. lol
(really like jerky even then, further drying it... ewww)

Piparskeggr
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Porcupine (seasoned with powdered beef bouillon), slow roasted over an open fire while I was on a winter survival training encampment a few decades ago.

Side dish was Bracken fern rhizomes and Cattail roots...

Germanicus
09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Frogs legs seem to have come up a bit. When I was younger and camping with my parents, a couple of us kids would head out and catch a bunch of larger frogs. Cut off the legs just at the lower part of the spine, skin them and then cook them on sticks over the open fire. :thumb001: Tastes just like chicken minus the soot. :)

Before Aemma and I were married, I still did alot of cooking at home for my parents. House Rule "If you are home first, you cook". Aemma was coming over for dinner, so I prepared a nice meatloaf and other fine things. After supper I asked her how she like the meal and she it was fine. I said "That good because the meatloaf was made out of bear meat." The look on her face was priceless. :eek:

She still married me and is still a bit leary when I say that supper will be mystery meat! :D

See the look on her face when you give her an Elver sandwich................priceless..:)

Jägerstaffel
09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
All of this looks good to me. Bring on the frog legs, weird sea creatures, venison, bison, etc. I enjoy eating weird food and go out of my way to find it. I'm always buying something at a foreign food market.

The worst thing I've ever eaten though was a bag of dried octopus tentacles from Japan. Ugh. They taste good before they're dried, but afterwards...

Tabiti
09-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Fried Rapanas I guess:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fb/Rapana_Black_Sea_2008_G1.jpg/738px-Rapana_Black_Sea_2008_G1.jpg

Amapola
09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Ostrich meat.

Absinthe
09-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Horse meat

http://equinerescuefrance.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/horse-meat.jpg

cooked by a friend and hence I could not decline.

I don't generally like meat, and this was too much for me. Horse meat has a very strong taste, it is a little smelly and if you're not a meat lover then you sure ain't gonna enjoy this dish. :p

Snails

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_y8MW4ABdImw/R1KTVoNxr_I/AAAAAAAAAHQ/feJoWY5A9LE/s1600-R/DSCN1452.JPG

these actually taste much better than they look, but it's still kind of disgusting to think about what you're eating. Not sure I would ever eat them again...

Vulpix
09-14-2009, 01:01 PM
^But horse meat is very similar to beef :fwhat:... and yummy :yumyum:

Ostrich meat.

That is good too.

Frigga
09-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Abalone is another one I forgot to mention. It's a delicacy around here. So much to point that there are poaching rings that illegaly harvest it and sell it on the black market for around $30 a pound or more. But it is in my opinion nasty! It's a sea snail, and so you're basically eating slug meat! And it has to be prepared in a certain way, or else it is tough like shoe leather. And the abalone I had was not prepared properly, so add to the grossness factor of eating slugs with having to chew said digusting meat for five minutes in order to swallow it down!

Rainraven
09-17-2009, 01:24 PM
My Asian flatmate made the oddest meal. It was pork mince mixed with egg, grated carrot, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Put in a bowl, cooked in the microwave then cut into wedges and served with rice. Not nice, not at all nice.

Octothorpe
09-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Weirdest, I suppose, was the deep-fried shark's head. Not my favorite. I've also had some Korean food that was . . . not identifiable. Not bad, but you pretty much had to close your eyes while eating it. Anthony Bourdain, I am not! :p

Mjod
02-10-2014, 07:50 AM
My weirdest meal...Louisiana swamp gator.

rhiannon
02-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Abalone
Rabbit
Goat
Beef tongue
Shark

Not a big fan of any of it. All of these were at the hands of my dad, who would eat ANYthing lol

Nehellenia
02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Moose and bear meat while in Europe :)

TheBlondeSalad
02-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Spotted Dick :puke

Aurora
02-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Alligator.

I've eaten bear and shark, but I think alligator is the weirdest.

dude
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
Something like this. It is Ethiopian food.
http://anaggieinethiopia.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/img_0868.jpg

Caismeachd
02-10-2014, 04:47 PM
My Asian flatmate made the oddest meal. It was pork mince mixed with egg, grated carrot, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Put in a bowl, cooked in the microwave then cut into wedges and served with rice. Not nice, not at all nice.

Could have been bibimbap. It's quite good actually.