PDA

View Full Version : Herzegovinians

Insuperable
05-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Yes I realise. But I want to understand who are Herzegovinians, how they are different from other Bosnians and where is the line drawn.

Perhaps a topic for another discussion.

Not even Herzegovinians understand who are Herzegovinians:rotfl: Croats make up vast majority of Western Herzegovina, Serbs make up the vast majority of Eastern Herzegovina. Muslims are scattered all over, but in groups, they make majority in some minor settlements...Mostar is divided in two, western Mostar where vast majority are Croats (and minor Serbs) and eastern Mostar where vast majority is made up of Muslims. Some of this Muslims will see them as Bosniaks and some will see themselves as Herzegovinians. Complicated, just like the entire history of Balkans.

Bosnjakinja
05-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes I realise. But I want to understand who are Herzegovinians, how they are different from other Bosnians and where is the line drawn.

Perhaps a topic for another discussion.

Ahm, well first of all you should never call a Herzegovinian a Bosnian :D They are very proud of their regional name (Hercegovac) and see themselves as quite different from Bosnians, both Serbs and Croats and Bosniaks. They might consider themselves "mediterranean" in mentality and culture and the Croats often feel as one with Dalmatian Croats (though Solin obviously doesnt :P). They are better at sports then Bosnians, they are taller.

Rougly speaking you could say Southwestern BiH, but I am actually not sure where the line goes. I know some people in the city Livno like to call themselves Herzegovinians but I'm not sure if they are actually counted as such or just say that because Herzegovina is an area that is considered very Croatian, at least Western parts, and the people in Livno are Croats aswell.

Eastern parts of Herzegovina are in Republika Srpska, Western in the Federation. Serbs are majority in Eastern, Croats in Western, but Western has significant Bosniak minorities. Mostar (biggest Herzegovinian city) has abouy 50/50 of Bosniaks and Cros. There used to be Bosniaks in eastern parts of Herzegovina before the war but not anymore.

Bosnjakinja
05-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Some of this Muslims will see them as Bosniaks and some will see themselves as Herzegovinians. Complicated, just like the entire history of Balkans.

It's a dual identity - just like Croats will be Croats and Herzegovinians so are Bosniaks there Bosniaks and Herzegovinians. But they will never call themselves Bosanac.

Loki
05-24-2013, 07:02 PM
I moved this post to a new thread of its own, so we can discuss Herzegovinians. Good info, thanks Bosnjakinja.

kvarc
05-24-2013, 07:04 PM
actually you forgot part of Hercegovina is in Montenegro

Bosnjakinja
05-24-2013, 07:09 PM
You mean if we talk about Stara Hercegovina?

These parts of Montenegro was part of the historical Herzegovina:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Stara_hercegovina_u_crnoj_gori.svg/475px-Stara_hercegovina_u_crnoj_gori.svg.png

but I'm not sure anyone counts them as Herzegovinian anymore

Insuperable
05-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Ahm, well first of all you should never call a Herzegovinian a Bosnian :D They are very proud of their regional name (Hercegovac) and see themselves as quite different from Bosnians, both Serbs and Croats and Bosniaks. They might consider themselves "mediterranean" in mentality and culture and the Croats often feel as one with Dalmatian Croats (though Solin obviously doesnt :P). They are better at sports then Bosnians, they are taller.

I feel close to Dalmatian Croats, how come you did not realize this? I was just saying that Herzegovinians are wogs, they overall look different then them (except some pockets) which is strange and that they are corrupt and backwards and that although they feel close to Dalmatians not every Dalmatian will share that feeling.

Rougly speaking you could say Southwestern BiH, but I am actually not sure where the line goes. I know some people in the city Livno like to call themselves Herzegovinians but I'm not sure if they are actually counted as such or just say that because Herzegovina is an area that is considered very Croatian, at least Western parts, and the people in Livno are Croats aswell.

I have never ever met any person from Livno and I have met quite a number who would like to call themselves Herzegovinians. It is true that the area is mostly Croatian, but Duvno and not Livno is the last town in Herzegovina when speaking about that parts. Livno is Bosnia.

It's a dual identity - just like Croats will be Croats and Herzegovinians so are Bosniaks there Bosniaks and Herzegovinians. But they will never call themselves Bosanac.

Well duuuh

Bosnjakinja
05-24-2013, 07:15 PM
I feel close to Dalmatian Croats, how come you did not realize this? I was just saying that Herzegovinians are wogs, they overall look different then them (except some pockets) which is strange and that they are corrupt and backwards and that although they feel close to Dalmatians not every Dalmatian will share that feeling.

I have never ever met any person from Livno and I have met quite a number who would like to call themselves Herzegovinians. It is true that the area is mostly Croatian, but Duvno and not Livno is the last town in Herzegovina when speaking about that parts.
Livno is Bosnia.
Yes, I meant Duvno not Livno, i mixed them up.

Insuperable
05-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes, I meant Duvno not Livno, i mixed them up.

So, you are trying to tell me that you met someone from Duvno who does not think is a Herzegovinian?

Bosnjakinja
05-24-2013, 07:21 PM
So, you are trying to tell me that you met someone from Duvno who does not think is a Herzegovinian?

I heard some people on two forums (Croats, some from RH some from BiH) discussing whether or not Duvno is Herzegovina or Bosnia. The conclusion is usually that it is Herzegovina, but there was a debate.

Duvnjaci themselves see themselves as Herzegovians.

Sisak
05-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Herzegovinian girls:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z8vpdy.jpg

Loki
05-24-2013, 07:48 PM
They don't look dark to me at all.

Insuperable
05-24-2013, 07:56 PM
That is one hell of a cherry picked picture. Quite atypical.

Sisak
05-24-2013, 07:57 PM
I think that most of Herzegovinians are brown, but can also be found black- haired people. One man I know looks like Adrien Brody.

Twistedmind
05-24-2013, 08:04 PM
I dont think people in Hercegovina are wogs (Nor they have any connection with Albanians, Safinator would jump to confirm this, since Hercegovina is epicenter of I2a, over 65% males belong to that patrilineal line :laugh:) They are darker than average group in BiH, but it is still not wogish.

Girls from Bileća.

http://mojahercegovina.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bilecanke.jpg

http://trebinjelive.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/bilecankama-prvo-mjesto-u-odbojci-u-igalu-604x480.jpg

PS, they are probably tallest people in Europe without any real competition.

Permafrost
05-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes, I've met a few Herzegovinians in my life. From my experience they're kinda sneaky, very suspicious of outsiders, and always with their guard up. Such behaviour no doubt reflects the harsh environment these people have to live in.

Oh, I also met one on the bus the other day. He was drunk and started yelling 'Ko je ovdje chetnik??' After he realized the bus was full of Slovenes, he said 'Ma j**** vam mater Slovensku' :D It was a hilarious situation

Edit: The man was s***faced drunk. No, I do not hold the belief that the majority of them are a bunch of primitive rednecks :)

Cokolino
05-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Northern Herzegovina is mostly populated by Bosniaks. They are the great majority in
municipalities of Konjic and Jablanica, and hold around two thirds of Mostar municipality.
There is also a sizable presence in municipalities of Stolac and parts of Capljina.

Geographically speaking, Herzegovina ends ca 20 km from Posusje on route to Duvno,
so Duvno in that sense is in Bosnia...but of course Herzegovina is not just a geographic
term, but a cultural also... Livno is an interesting, special case...it is in Tromedja,
which means between the three in our lang, between Bosnia, Herzegovina and Dalmatia.
The people of Livno say that they are more honest than Herzegovians, more clever than
Bosnians and more hard working than Dalmatians :P

Insuperable
05-25-2013, 12:40 AM
Northern Herzegovina is mostly populated by Bosniaks. They are the great majority in
municipalities of Konjic and Jablanica, and hold around two thirds of Mostar municipality.
There is also a sizable presence in municipalities of Stolac and parts of Capljina.

Geographically speaking, Herzegovina ends ca 20 km from Posusje on route to Duvno,
so Duvno in that sense is in Bosnia...but of course Herzegovina is not just a geographic
term, but a cultural also... Livno is an interesting, special case...it is in Tromedja,
which means between the three in our lang, between Bosnia, Herzegovina and Dalmatia.
The people of Livno say that they are more honest than Herzegovians, more clever than
Bosnians and more hard working than Dalmatians :P

Two thirds?

Cokolino
05-25-2013, 12:46 AM
60-40 then :P From Gornja Dreznica down to Gubavica/Pijesci :)

Insuperable
05-25-2013, 01:05 AM
60-40 then :P From Gornja Dreznica down to Gubavica/Pijesci :)

Look at the 1991 census and the latest one (not official) made by the Islamic and Christian communities
http://www.hrvatska-rijec.com/2012/03/demografska-analiza-hrvati-najmlada-populacija-u-hercegovini-posusje-najmlada-opcina-u-bih/

(Talking out of the ass )

Diërker
05-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Moj friends from facultet su vazda zovili mene Herzegovna.

Cokolino
05-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Look at the 1991 census and the latest one (not official) made by the Islamic and Christian communities
http://www.hrvatska-rijec.com/2012/03/demografska-analiza-hrvati-najmlada-populacija-u-hercegovini-posusje-najmlada-opcina-u-bih/

(Talking out of the ass )

The majority of the population are Croats, but they live roughly on one third of the municipality,
that`s what I was referring to :) From Dreznica in the north, to Prigradjani, Vrapcici, Gnojnice
in the east, to Blagaj and Gubavica in the south...mostly Bosniaks inhabit
roughly two thirds of the municipality :)
What is interesting, is the development in Potoci. Looks like a slight Bosniak majority
there also, but we`ll wait for the census. Also Hodbina is important ;)

Cokolino
05-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Mjuziiik :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZR-JkW1SuE

Hurrem sultana
05-25-2013, 09:44 AM
How many bosniaks are there in Livno?

Cokolino
05-25-2013, 10:00 AM
How many bosniaks are there in Livno?

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5248/2010bosnjaci1991.png

Hurrem sultana
05-25-2013, 10:10 AM
dobri smo,eto polako se pocinje Neum zeleniti :D

Cokolino
05-25-2013, 10:13 AM
dobri smo,eto polako se pocinje Neum zeleniti :D

Nemoj sad o Neumu, bit ce balkanski flamewar ovdje opet :D
Pozz :)

Cokolino
05-26-2013, 09:53 PM
A Hercegovac was attacked by a bear, so he strangled the animal with
his bare hands :P

http://www.avaz.ba/vijesti/teme/hercegovac-blazo-u-samoodbrani-zadavio-medvjeda

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/969143_592880234076375_358930719_n.jpg

Sisak
05-27-2013, 01:02 AM
According to Mexican Robert Salinas Price ancient Troy is located in Gabela in Herzegovina.
He said: "When scholars say that cradle of Western civilization are Hellas they are completely wrong, they have no idea what they're saying, the cradle of Western civilization is in the Slavic world in the Balkans."

Price je prošle godine objavio svoju drugu knjigu na tu temu "Homerova šaputanja", u kojoj se, po autorovim riječima, nalazi pregršt novih dokaza u korist njegove teorije. Do kraja ove godine iz tiska bi trebao izići hrvatski prijevod spomenute knjige.

Sisak
05-27-2013, 01:10 AM
Roberto Salinas Price is philologist and amateur archeologist, he argues that ancestors of modern Greeks came to region much after Trojan war and have adopted epic songs, he also believes that Iliad was originally written in proto-Slavic language.

From his website:
It is at the time of the Trojan War (or better yet, at the time of the Fall of Troy, c. 1,200 BC) that the term "Illyrioi" comes into historical being as a collective name for a number of independent albeit closely related tribes of a common Slavic stock.

Guapo
05-27-2013, 01:13 AM
You mean if we talk about Stara Hercegovina?

These parts of Montenegro was part of the historical Herzegovina:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Stara_hercegovina_u_crnoj_gori.svg/475px-Stara_hercegovina_u_crnoj_gori.svg.png

but I'm not sure anyone counts them as Herzegovinian anymore

I was born in Pljevlja, those areas are hardcore Serbs.

Loki
05-27-2013, 04:53 AM
I was born in Pljevlja, those areas are hardcore Serbs.

Slavicized Albo

Loki
05-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Roberto Salinas Price is philologist and amateur archeologist, he argues that ancestors of modern Greeks came to region much after Trojan war and have adopted epic songs, he also believes that Iliad was originally written in proto-Slavic language.

From his website:
It is at the time of the Trojan War (or better yet, at the time of the Fall of Troy, c. 1,200 BC) that the term "Illyrioi" comes into historical being as a collective name for a number of independent albeit closely related tribes of a common Slavic stock.

This is an outrageous hypothesis that is obviously not mainstream.

Twistedmind
05-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Slavicized Albo
Nope. Its Hercegovina not Montenegro :P Ask Safinator. I2a is not albanian :P

Loki
05-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Nope. Its Hercegovina not Montenegro :P Ask Safinator. I2a is not albanian :P

Quite right, it's Illyrian ;)

Mans not hot
05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Quite right, it's Illyrian ;)
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab22/micky_vey/3749-i-see-what-you-did-there-no-text.png

Cokolino
05-28-2013, 11:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Mtmhp-bY8

kvarc
05-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Livno is not really Hercegovina