PDA

View Full Version : Where does this older man fit best? Vote please

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 02:40 AM
http://www.popstaronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Ariana-Grande-Grandfather.jpg

ChocolateFace
05-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Fits in Greece best

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 02:45 AM
He's Sicilian. He is Ariana Grande's grandfather.

alfieb
05-25-2013, 02:49 AM
I had thought he looked like a Sicilian. Good to know. Will vote after I try to find more photos. :lol:

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 02:50 AM
Being Sicilian, he fits better in continental Central and Southern Italy than Greece IMO. I actually think he fits best in Israel. I know it sounds weird, but there is something Jewish about him.

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 02:50 AM
I'd easily mistake him for Jewish.

ChocolateFace
05-25-2013, 02:51 AM
Being Sicilian, he fits better in continental Southern Italy than Greece IMO

i thought you were Chinese

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Being Sicilian, he fits better in continental Central and Southern Italy than Greece IMO.

Central Italians generally are distinguishable from Sicilians. I have noticed you like to compare Greeks to Iberians but you seem to have an issue with southern Italians being compared to Greeks.

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 02:54 AM
i thought you were Chinese

I am :), just a Chinaman obsessed with European stuff. And I thought you were a Slav.

ChocolateFace
05-25-2013, 02:56 AM
And I thought you were a Slav.

Imagine

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 02:57 AM
Central Italians generally are distinguishable from Sicilians. I have noticed you like to compare Greeks to Iberians but you seem to have an issue with southern Italians being compared to Greeks.

Not that I have a problem with it, I just have a relatively negative experience with the diasporan Southern Italians I've met. The darkness and nose size of Greeks are overstated IMO. It's nothing like comparing Greeks with Assyrians. Do that and I'll probably scream my head off (jk I'll just get a bit wild ;)).

I like comparing Greeks to Spaniards because they look much more like them than to anyone in Iraq or the Arab World. Genetically so as well.

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Oh no I agree with you that the swarthiness of Greeks is greatly overstated. The swarthiest parts of Greece don't make enough of Greece's population to be statistically significant. I bet you the Aegean islands and Crete and the southern Peloponnese are no more than 25% of Greece's population and even then, not all of them (but some are) swarthy.

Calabrese are more Armenoid influenced than either Sicily or Greece.

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 03:09 AM
Oh no I agree with you that the swarthiness of Greeks is greatly overstated. The swarthiest parts of Greece don't make enough of Greece's population to be statistically significant. I bet you the Aegean islands and Crete and the southern Peloponnese are no more than 25% of Greece's population and even then, not all of them (but some are) swarthy.

Calabrese are more Armenoid influenced than either Sicily or Greece.

Yeah only a small minority of people native in Greece (like other S. Euro countries) would have relatively dark skin/hair/eyes. Even those people tend to have distinctive features that you won't usually find among Assyrians, Palestinians, etc.

On other forums, some people lump Greeks with Middle Easterners (including Iraqi ethnic groups). It drives me insane! Greece and Iraq/Palestine/Syria are worlds apart! I'm not saying that Middle Easterners are unattractive, just different.

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Yeah only a small minority of people native in Greece (like other S. Euro countries) would have relatively dark skin/hair/eyes. Even those people tend to have distinctive features that you won't usually find among Assyrians, Palestinians, etc.

Well what I think tricks people with Greece is, they see pictures of Greek islanders and see a swarthy group but don't realize that of 11 million people, only 508,000 live in Aegean islands, 601,000 in Crete. So only 10% of Greece could potentially be extremely swarthy.

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Well what I think tricks people with Greece is, they see pictures of Greek islanders and see a swarthy group but don't realize that of 11 million people, only 508,000 live in Aegean islands, 601,000 in Crete. So only 10% of Greece could potentially be extremely swarthy.

10% tops. Actually I'd lower it to 4-5% as at least half of the people in those islands are not really that dark (personal experience).

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 03:15 AM
I've never been under the impression people actually think Greeks are Middle Easterners. The attempts to compare them are often done in a trollish fashion, not a serious one.

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 03:20 AM
I've never been under the impression people actually think Greeks are Middle Easterners. The attempts to compare them are often done in a trollish fashion, not a serious one.

Of course. Greeks are not Middle Easterners. If they are, then so are Bulgarians because they have a longer border with Turkey than Greece. But nobody calls Bulgarians 'Middle Easterners' because they know that these people are South Slavs like Serbs.

Lumping Greeks with all Levantine Arabs, Jews and Iraqi ethnic groups is definitely trollish and not serious.

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 03:21 AM
Granted SOME Greeks can pass in the Middle East but often they are Pontic, islander, or Cypriot.

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 03:26 AM
Granted SOME Greeks can pass in the Middle East but often they are Pontic, islander, or Cypriot.

That's right :thumb001:. Individually, Pontic/Islander/Cypriots would overlap with Levantines and coastal North Africans never with Bedouins.

Sikeliot
05-25-2013, 03:27 AM
That's right :thumb001:. Individually, Pontic/Islander/Cypriots would overlap with Levantines and coastal North Africans never with Bedouins.

Not so much North Africans.

Pontic Greeks tend to look like Armenians often. Islanders look exotic in the same way a Sicilian would, and Cypriots often look straight Levantine.

Newsboy
05-25-2013, 03:29 AM
Not so much North Africans.

Pontic Greeks tend to look like Armenians often. Islanders look exotic in the same way a Sicilian would, and Cypriots often look straight Levantine.

North Africans only limited to the far northern coasts individual overlap. I know Pontic Greeks would overlap with the Caucasus people. But you were referring to Middle Easterners in your previous post. Caucasus is not Middle Eastern. And I agree with your Greek Islander and Cypriot perceptions.

Trun
05-25-2013, 07:29 AM
But nobody calls Bulgarians 'Middle Easterners' because they know that these people are South Slavs like Serbs.

Stay longer here and you'll hear everything, including us being accused of looking like Turks, Kurds, Armenians...

Darkest Greeks are Anatolian and Pontic Greeks not Islanders.