PDA

View Full Version : Parents' fury after birthday cake for their child Adolf Hitler Campbell is refused

Vulpix
12-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Parents' fury after supermarket refuses to decorate birthday cake with their child's name - Adolf Hitler Campbell

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/17/article-1096348-02D3DD7C000005DC-811_468x300.jpg

Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1096348/Parents-fury-supermarket-refuses-decorate-birthday-cake-childs--Adolf-Hitler-Campbell.html):The parents of a three-year-old boy have branded a supermarket 'intolerant' after it refused to decorate their son's birthday cake with his name - Adolf Hitler Campbell. The couple from New Jersey had asked ShopRite staff to decorate their son's cake with his name - which he shares with the Nazi dictator - and were outraged after staff refused to on the grounds that it was 'inappropriate'.

Heath and Deborah Campbell said they were also upset by the outpouring of angry internet postings in response to a local newspaper article about the cake.
It has also emerged that the couple have in the past asked for a swastika decoration.

ShopRite spokeswoman Karen Meleta said: 'We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate and we considered this inappropriate.'
Would a Joseph Stalin cake decoration be deemed inappropriate too :rolleyes:?

However, the child's father Heath Campbell said it was time that people looked forward and accepted change.

'They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did,' he said.

Wife Deborah said she was told over the phone by ShopRite bakery staff that they would not undertake the order.

The Campbells eventually got their wish and had their cake decorated at a Wal-Mart store in Pennsylvania.

Mrs Campbell, who said his ancestors are German, insisted the uproar had come out of nothing and that the couple were not racist.

Mr Campbell said more than a dozen children had attended her son's birthday party including several who were of mixed race.

'If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?' he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell (:D), two and eight-month-old Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell.

The Aryan Nations is a white nationalist neo-Nazi organisation in the U.S. and the name Hinler is very close to the spelling of Himmler, who was the head of the SS under Hitler.

Mr Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked it and because 'no one else in the world would have that name'.

But his views have been questioned after he was seen wearing a pair of black boots which he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

HawkR
12-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Now what the fu*k would they expect? Adolf Hitler ain't actually the most common name:p

Lars
12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Adolf is a great name but fitting it with Hitler is just retarded. The parents are special alright, and with the mediocre genes they have I bet that their children will be as special as their names. Beyond retarded...

Jägerstaffel
12-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah, they had to expect that kind of reaction.

Loyalist
12-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Mrs Campbell, who said his ancestors are German, insisted the uproar had come out of nothing and that the couple were not racist.

I was apparently under the mistaken belief that "Campbell" is a Scottish surname. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have sympathy for the child, as this only markes the beginning of the lifetime of ridicule he faces as a result of his parents' stupidity.

SwordoftheVistula
12-18-2008, 07:46 AM
I listened to them on the radio the other night. They are either putting up a snow job to hide their beliefs, or are just a couple goobers seeking attention using Adolf Hitler as the new, edgier, version of Che.

GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS
12-18-2008, 07:58 AM
I was apparently under the mistaken belief that "Campbell" is a Scottish surname. :rolleyes:

Yes? She obviously got it from her husband, so we have no way of knowing her maiden name, so what's the problem?

Arrow Cross
12-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Cretins.

Loyalist
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Yes? She obviously got it from her husband, so we have no way of knowing her maiden name, so what's the problem?

It was the husband who said his ancestors are German; other sites don't make the same typo as this particular source.

Oisín
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Those kids are going to have to fight their way through school with names like that.

SwordoftheVistula
12-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Would a Joseph Stalin cake decoration be deemed inappropriate too :rolleyes:?

There's a pro football player with the first name 'Stalin'. Nobody ever makes mention about anything unusual regarding this name:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3972

Vulpix
12-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Typical double standards!
Stalin caused more deaths than Hitler yet Stalin and Joseph as first names don't even raise an eyebrow :rolleyes2:!!

There's a pro football player with the first name 'Stalin'. Nobody ever makes mention about anything unusual regarding this name:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3972

Loyalist
12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical double standards!
Stalin caused more deaths than Hitler yet Stalin and Joseph as first names don't even raise an eyebrow :rolleyes2:!!

The death toll allegedly inflicted upon Jews and other peoples by the Nazi regime pales in comparison to the victims of Stalin's atrocities (the Great Purge, the Gulags, the Holodomor, etc.). Modern estimates generally range from between 10 to 30 million dead, though some are even higher. In addition, Stalin invaded, and forced his will upon, virtually every nation in Eastern Europe. Using the same criteria with which Hitler is judged today, Stalin was far worse, and far more evil, than his German counterpart. That isn't the case, however, and thus the hypocrisy of today's society becomes glaringly evident.

Alison
12-18-2008, 07:08 PM
The point is that these parents chose a name that would subject this child to ridicule and humiliation for the rest of his life. They should be drawn and quartered. This may have been a completely innocent idea to name their child after Hitler, but they are not doing their child any favours by focusing their idealogy on someone who most people despise.

It's almost as bad as naming a child Pol Pot Campbell, of Fidel Castro Campbell!

And yes, Campbell is a fine Scottish surname.

Æmeric
12-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Why doesn't the mother just make a cake herself or buy a cake & then write "Happy Birthday Adolf Hitler Campbell"? It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out.

On the topic of inappropriate names what about the White couple who named the kid "Barack Obama ******? I don't know if it has happen yet but it will.:rolleyes2:

TheGreatest
12-24-2008, 08:10 AM
And I thought having a German middle name was giving me trouble in school... I could only imagine what Professor Goldstein would say about a certain ''Adolf Hitler'' in his class! :thumb001:

Æmeric
01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
State authorities have removed Adolf Hilter Campbell and his two sisters from their parents' home in Holland Township, township police Chief David Van Gilson said today.
New Jersey's Division of Youth and Family Services took the 3-year-old, as well as JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, 1, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, who turns 1 in April, the chief said.

The parents, Heath and Deborah Campbell, were to appear for a hearing today at the Hunterdon County Justice Center, the chief said, but the hearing was postponed.

The chief didn't know why the children were taken but said his department received no reports of abuse or negligence.

Source (http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/index.ssf/2009/01/boy_named_adolf_hitler_his_sis.html)

Well it's obvious the children were taken for political reasons. I guess New Jersey will find more appropriate parents - maybe a mixrace couple.:mad:

If inappropriate names were a reason to make children a ward of the state, 1/2 of all Negro children in the US would be in foster care. Instead of about 1 in 50.:rolleyes2:

Loyalist
01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
I wonder if the ACLU will take on the case. :rolleyes:

Beorn
01-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Whilst I can't find it within me to see any reasonable level as to why they named their children with such openly anti-establishment names; I do empathise with them having their children taken because of it.

Can't the world just let people live and let live?

Just a thought, but that is their official names given at birth and registered by law? Then why weren't the names objected to at the correct time? ie: When registering!

It seems outrageous that having such officially endorsed names can only raise questions at such a late time.

Æmeric
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
There are very little, if any, restrictions on what given names you can give your children in the US.

Jägerstaffel
01-15-2009, 01:17 AM
You know, I think naming kids after a dictator is pretty poor taste. It's probably not in the best interest of the kid, and most people will probably look down on you for it. And personally I think it's a screwed up thing to do to a child - but I'd like to see one piece of legislation that shows that it is illegal.

If it is shown to be illegal, every Muslim child with the name Hussein or Osama needs to be taken away from their children; as I hear Osama is one of the most popular names for Muslims now..

Treffie
01-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I wonder if we're all missing the point? Hitler is generally seen as a surname - no wonder the supermarket refused their request. :rolleyes:

Æmeric
01-15-2009, 01:26 PM
And your point is? :icon_ask:

Someone with the same surname as myself - but unrelated - became very infamous. Should I be penalize for having the same last name? As it was, I was on a watch list for several years after 9/11 because of my last name, which meant any trip by air I was always selected for special screening before being allowed onto the concourse at airports.

Treffie
01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
And your point is? :icon_ask:

Someone with the same surname as myself - but unrelated - became very infamous. Should I be penalize for having the same last name? As it was, I was on a watch list for several years after 9/11 because of my last name, which meant any trip by air I was always selected for special screening before being allowed onto the concourse at airports.

I was being facetious.

Bobby Martnen
09-21-2018, 07:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VanTNuFtP08