PDA

View Full Version : Generation Rx

Sol Invictus
09-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Generation Rx

8 Parts in total although I couldn't find part 7 in the list provided on Veoh.

After watching this video, I am wondering how many of you guys have been prescribed psychotropic medication, mood stabilizers, selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitors, tranquilizers, stimulants or any other type of prescription meds in your lifetime. So I'll make a poll about it to sate my curiosity. It's a private poll so your name won't be revealed, but I would like you to talk about your experiences on these if you feel you would like to share them. How did they affect you? If you haven't, do you know someone in your family or circle of friends who has?

Part 1: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v18919897JgpsgcmP#watch%3Dv18919526gZ4fkAAk

Part 2: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v18919897JgpsgcmP#watch%3Dv18919720mgey8SEd

Part 3: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v18919897JgpsgcmP#watch%3Dv18919761TCHPx4sr

Part 4: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v18919897JgpsgcmP#watch%3Dv18919844hScj6y5A

Part 5: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v18919897JgpsgcmP#watch%3Dv18919844hScj6y5A

Part 6: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v18919897JgpsgcmP#watch%3Dv18920109K9ZtG6xF

Part 8: http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educational_and_howto/watch/v18919897JgpsgcmP#watch%3Dv18920254z7jhGAsC

ikki
09-16-2009, 11:54 PM
wont even accept pain medication for minor surgery like stiching up a wound or removing foreign metal objects :p

Nor can i quite shake the notion that users of various psychostuff are junkies.

Jägerstaffel
09-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm like Ikki. I don't take medicine whatsoever unless it's a necessity - not even an aspirin.

And I've never been to a doctor for any kind of mental illness (I assume I'm sane) so no anti-depressants, tranquilizers, stimulants, or anything of that sort.

Loddfafner
09-17-2009, 12:07 AM
I was never so depressed in my life as when I was prescribed antidepressants. Before that, I was prescribed a stimulant that helped me finish school but had some inconvenient side effects. After the disastrous anti-depressants I was switched to a different medication that had no noticeable effect except to drain my bank account and leave my head shaking like a rattle whenever I ran out.

I kicked those and all drugs of its ilk. If I need to get something done I drink lots of coffee and chocolate.

Grey
09-17-2009, 12:22 AM
My parents (huge hypochondriacs) stuck me on antidepressants in my preteen years. I ended up losing 20 lbs in just a few weeks (I'm still not sure how) and I eventually just stopped taking them along with any other medicines.

Birka
09-17-2009, 01:05 AM
I take no CNS medication, but I know about 4 female friends over 50 years old who take SSRI's, and one takes Seroquel for treatment of bipolar disease. If they did not tell me this information, I would have never known, or suspected.

Sol Invictus
09-17-2009, 01:36 AM
I was never so depressed in my life as when I was prescribed antidepressants. Before that, I was prescribed a stimulant that helped me finish school but had some inconvenient side effects. After the disastrous anti-depressants I was switched to a different medication that had no noticeable effect except to drain my bank account and leave my head shaking like a rattle whenever I ran out.

This almost exactly reflects what a life-long friend has told me about his experience with SSRI's (Citalopram) and Beta-blockers (Benzodiazapines) which he took for depression and his anxiety disorder. I noticed it in him.

He looked and acted like a zombie, would cut off all contact with us and had no desire to socialize with anyone what-so-ever. It was like his soul was torn out of his body and nothing was left of him but an empty shell.

He was so indifferent, so dis-associated that it was hard to believe that this was the same person I knew since we were in Kindergarten. He told me he didn't have thoughts of suicide before he was treated for his depression but as soon as they put him on the SSRI, he had no interest in life and really just didn't care.

I can understand that in some very extreme cases, SSRIs can probably be very beneficial in treating depression in severe instances where people are reduced to sobbing wrecks, curled up into a ball in their rooms wishing for death to come to them, but the Pharmaceutical industry hands this kind of mind-altering stuff out like candy to anyone who even gives them any hint of feeling 'down' or gloomy. It's very scary.

Having said that I would have to be very thankful for my parents not keeping me on Ritalin when they were basically given an ultimatum by my school teacher when I was in the 4th or 5th grade. My parents were told that I couldn't focus, I was constantly fidgeting, and was basically the class clown and that I had to see my family doctor to have me checked out for ADD/ADHD. My parents had never heard of this before. Nobody in my family had heard of it before.

Never-the-less, I was prescribed Ritalin and I took it for about a year when I finally descided I wasn't going to take it anymore. I didn't feel comfortable taking it, and I remember the side effects even to this day. I couldn't eat, my mouth was always dry, I felt exhausted, and I lacked motivation. It basically destroyed my childhood for that year I was on it.

My parents noticed these changes, and when I refused to take anymore, my parents didn't force me to. From that day on, I have never, ever had any teacher tell me that what I was doing as a child was anything but normal.

I look back and I am sickened that she had told me and my parents I had to be pumped full of mind and developmental altering chemicals.

I am very happy that I only took them for a year of my life before serious damage had been done to me and my body, and very glad that my parents supported my decision.

Besides Ritalin, I have never been on any sort of psychotropic drugs, and I never will take them again. I simply don't trust the pharmaceutical industry at all.

Ulf
09-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Tranquilizers: Alcohol
Stimulants: Caffeine and Nicotine
Mood Stabilizer: Alcohol, though I've often experienced some weird side-effects with this one.

:p

I don't take drugs from these legal dealers, especially when the drug they're trying to give me is branded on their clipboard.

Óttar
09-17-2009, 02:33 AM
I was prescribed Zoloft and took it for three days. It took away my sex drive and gave me stomach aches. I figured I would be super-depressed without the ability to "beat it;)", and I had stress-induced stomach cramps at the time anyhow so I threw the pills out. When I told the doctor about the side-effects, he insisted I should keep taking it even though I saw no benefit. Anti-depressants should only be given for people with a *serious mental disposition* toward depression, not every Tom, Dick and Harry who experiences natural run-of-the-mill melancholia from a bad day or teen angst.

I take no CNS medication, but I know about 4 female friends over 50 years old who take SSRI's, and one takes Seroquel for treatment of bipolar disease. If they did not tell me this information, I would have never known, or suspected.
Seroquel can give you diabetes, my mother got it and there is a large lawsuit against the manufacturer now.

Fortis in Arduis
09-17-2009, 02:42 AM
Over 10 years ago, I was prescribed Prozac and then another SSRI and also beta-blockers for period of depression which I think was mostly circumstantial because I had no idea how I wanted to run my life and I felt isolated from my peers.

Needless to say, these so-called anti-depressants did not change my life, I had to, and this I had to learn to do through the school of hard knocks, which happened when I was not taking anti-depressants. I was depressed because my situation was ridiculous and I did not know myself.

Then, after I left university I had a 'second honeymoon' with recreational drugs, which was very draining, and I discovered that I had a taste for benzodiazepines. So I asked my doctors to prescribe me diazepam for anxiety, but of course these things never really satisfy...

It was not a habit, but after confessing my (now, non-existent) cocaine habit to a particularly shrewd GP, I was automatically put on the black list for benzos, as I had asked for them several times, which is a shame because they are genuinely useful for long-haul flights.

Life and growth are suspended whilst we are taking mind-altering drugs, and I think that the prescribed drugs are some of the most dangerous, and I am happier to be clean and out of the clutches of the medical profession, although coffee remains a problem... but that is a light problem.

It saddens me to hear of people having to take these SSRIs, betablockers and benzos, because they never really helped me at all.

Amarantine
09-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Over 10 years ago, I was prescribed Prozac and then another SSRI and also beta-blockers for period of depression which I think was mostly circumstantial because I had no idea how I wanted to run my life and I felt isolated from my peers.

Needless to say, these so-called anti-depressants did not change my life, I had to, and this I had to learn to do through the school of hard knocks, which happened when I was not taking anti-depressants. I was depressed because my situation was ridiculous and I did not know myself.

Then, after I left university I had a 'second honeymoon' with recreational drugs, which was very draining, and I discovered that I had a taste for benzodiazepines. So I asked my doctors to prescribe me diazepam for anxiety, but of course these things never really satisfy...

It was not a habit, but after confessing my (now, non-existent) cocaine habit to a particularly shrewd GP, I was automatically put on the black list for benzos, as I had asked for them several times, which is a shame because they are genuinely useful for long-haul flights.

Life and growth are suspended whilst we are taking mind-altering drugs, and I think that the prescribed drugs are some of the most dangerous, and I am happier to be clean and out of the clutches of the medical profession, although coffee remains a problem... but that is a light problem.

It saddens me to hear of people having to take these SSRIs, betablockers and benzos, because they never really helped me at all.

So if you have 30, now, I suppose it is quite natural in 20's you don't know how to run your life, someones happen the same much later...and the persons on higher level of awareness are usually depressed, becouse they have better life perception and in the same time usually they are so young (like you in 20's). So any kind of medical treatment except good old conversation and talking about life issues are here out!
I think Doctors sometimes act like drug dealers.:(