PDA

View Full Version : will india become a first world nation in the next 50-100 years?

Mortimer
06-05-2013, 01:11 PM
what do you think?

Amun
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM
If they controlled their population growth, maybe. I think Indians should apply 1 child policy if they want to be advanced.

Lord Flasheart
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Looking at the amount of widespread poverty and gap between the rich and poor, no.

Mind, looking at the growing level of poverty and gap between the rich and poor in the west we might be dropping down a few pegs to join them if things don't pick up sharpish.

RussiaPrussia
06-05-2013, 01:27 PM
well i dont know, you cant know for every country how its gonna devolope. But india is not that much far away from ssa

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.PP.CD/countries/1W-IN-CN-ZG-RU-BR?display=graph

You could then ask the same question for ssa then.

Mortimer
06-05-2013, 01:31 PM
well i dont know, you cant know for every country how its gonna devolope. But india is not that much far away from ssa

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.PP.CD/countries/1W-IN-CN-ZG-RU-BR?display=graph

You could then ask the same question for ssa then.

i think india is different then SSA in many aspects. I read India has the fastest growing middle class in the world
With one of the fastest growing economies in the world, clocked at a growth rate of 8.3% in 2010, India is fast on its way to becoming a large and globally important consumer economy. The Indian middle class was estimated to be 250 million people in 2007, by McKinsey & Company.[1] It will reach 600 million by 2030. According to Deutsche Research the estimates are nearly 300 million people for all Middle Class.[2] If current trends continue, Indian per capita purchasing power parity will significantly increase from 4.7 to 6.1 percent of the world share by 2015.[3] In 2006, 22 percent of Indians lived under the poverty line. India aims to eradicate poverty by 2020
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_of_living_in_India

also Indians have a space Programme, intercontinental nuclear Missiles and the 4th strongest army in the world etc.

CrystalMaiden
06-05-2013, 02:00 PM
If they controlled their population growth, maybe. I think Indians should apply 1 child policy if they want to be advanced.

This :thumb001:

Loki
06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
what do you think?

No. Why? Because inequality is so deeply entrenched into Hindu society, it would take a whole change of mindset to overcome that. And a long, long time.

Amun
06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
No. Why? Because inequality is so deeply entrenched into Hindu society, it would take a whole change of mindset to overcome that. And a long, long time.

Agreed. Caste system is so deeply rooted in Indian society. How successful you are, depends on which clan or family you belong.

ABest
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I think that they have the potential to become a force to be reckoned with. As Amun said, population control would have to be implemented along with maybe some administrative reforms that would allow a more competitive and efficient economy. India is already exporting many precious stones, iron ore and other minerals and some chemicals and medicaments but they could develop their exports of machinery and cars in the future, if they reorganized their economy.

Albion
06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
They'll run out of water before then, maybe in the next ten years.

Smeagol
06-05-2013, 08:15 PM
No.

alb0zfinest
06-05-2013, 08:19 PM

In a few years they will have more people then China. And imagine India is much smaller then China, plus much less industrialized then China. Not only will the poverty rates skyrocket, but imagine trying to walk from one place to another :D
http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/7/0/702078/1295062448994.JPEG

Accountant
06-05-2013, 08:25 PM
No way. India is a time-bomb which will explode in near future.

Albion
06-05-2013, 09:37 PM
In a few years they will have more people then China. And imagine India is much smaller then China, plus much less industrialized then China. Not only will the poverty rates skyrocket, but imagine trying to walk from one place to another :D
http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/7/0/702078/1295062448994.JPEG

Their agricultural land is suffering from drought and salt buildup from flood irrigation. The rivers are polluted with excrement, heavy metals from mining and chemicals from factories.
Most of their water is from aquifers which are depleting rapidly as there isn't enough rainwater to recharge them. Much of the water now being extracted is ancient and can't be replaced. The water table is dropping, in some areas wells have gone from 10 meters down to 50 or more and the water tables are still dropping. The glaciers in the Himalayas are also shrinking which means less water in the Ganges.
So all in all, I expect them to face a major agricultural crisis in the next decade or so. This will be devastating for the poor of that country as food prices will rise greatly. India may even have to import water, perhaps via pipelines from SE Asia but have little infrastructure in place to transport it yet other than some malaria infested canals built by the British. Unlike China, there doesn't seem to be a grand plan to move around water.

This, together with the caste system and competition problem from China will mean that India isn't going to be a superpower any time soon. It will continue developing fast, but it's not going to make it as a superpower unless it gets its act together.

Szegedist
06-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Parts of it yes (I am talking literally certain upper class districts and so on) the vast majority now.

Dombra
06-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Probably not

Armand_Duval
06-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Actually I foresee Mexico or Brazil becoming firts world countries before India does because Mexico and Brazil have are not that big mess that India is.

India has a lot or ethnic groups and different religions with different degrees of cultural backwardness in regards to the occidental world, Mexico an Brazil are to more feasible candidates by far.

Farah
06-05-2013, 10:03 PM
India has alot of complex social problems ahead of it, especially the population growth as many have mentioned already..the one-child policy is not as glossy as it sounds, it has its cons (plus the moral dilemma) and it can't truly work in a society like that in India. Even though India as a state is officially secular, religion is still deeply embedded in the societal fabric and so this policy would be rejected by all religious groups. Also, the poverty..I have never seen so much poverty as I did in India. There is a mindblowing income gap in India and poverty is so ingrained into most areas - I really am amazed at the ability for survival. Plus the lack of respect for women's rights, female infanticide, dowry deaths, extreme institutional corruption, religious tension..India is definitely a country of extreme contrasts (beauty vs ugliness).

Incal
06-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Just earlier I was reading this BBC article, they are supposed to be fun facts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22772391

But still, gives you a perspective of what India is. I'd say they won't become first world not even in 1000 years.

Lusos
06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
There's a big problem In India.
Indians don't like "other" Indians.

Pontios
06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
They will never become a first world country... It is simply impossible because they have got to a point of no possible return unless they use EXTREME measures... Basically unless some miracle happens, no it is impossible for them...

lamb
06-06-2013, 03:08 AM
I doubt it. I think their population will just keep growing, it doesn't seem like they care to control it. First world nations will then have to handle their burden.

Anglojew
06-06-2013, 08:01 AM
what do you think?

So you're saying Britain will rule it again?

asingh
06-06-2013, 08:14 AM
India has alot of complex social problems ahead of it, especially the population growth as many have mentioned already..the one-child policy is not as glossy as it sounds, it has its cons (plus the moral dilemma) and it can't truly work in a society like that in India. Even though India as a state is officially secular, religion is still deeply embedded in the societal fabric and so this policy would be rejected by all religious groups. Also, the poverty..I have never seen so much poverty as I did in India. There is a mindblowing income gap in India and poverty is so ingrained into most areas - I really am amazed at the ability for survival. Plus the lack of respect for women's rights, female infanticide, dowry deaths, extreme institutional corruption, religious tension..India is definitely a country of extreme contrasts (beauty vs ugliness).

That is a good summation, Farah. I doubt India will even remain 3rd world. We might migrate to 4th world or 5th world, if that even exists. I think you have been to India, so are posting what your eyes showed you. Poverty is actually rampant, and everywhere. It is extremely sad. Our government and all systems are corrupt to the CORE. Even the military and sports regimes are not exempt from this rot. The well-off; do not pay taxes and try to shun away responsibility. We are a highly self centered (ones self) race, and never ever think about the mother land or fellow man. Pushing / shoving and 'careless' mind-set is the norm. As someone mentioned, India is a ticking time bomb. Nothing is managed here, absolutely nothing. I have lived in India 35 years, and am 'still' shocked when I venture into some rural areas, and the poverty and lack of basic amenities is absolutely shocking. Makes one feel like crying out loud. India is not living, it is daily fight for survival. A slog. We still get dirty water in taps, major power cuts, viral infestations periodically of disease (dengue/malaria/typhoid/jaundice) and health care standards are a mere joke; even in the metropolitan cities.

India is going down-hill. Sad.

Graham
06-06-2013, 08:24 AM
The rich/poor gap is too large in India, but overall wealth GDP will be extremely high. India is an extreme class system Nation.

only1
06-06-2013, 11:48 AM
ha. Indians are primative and unclean, just like their african brothers, they have no chance. Only chance for you wandering indian and your people to see a first world country is to come clean skyscrapers in Dubai.

Minde
06-06-2013, 11:49 AM
dont care less by time i be long dead anyway

Albion
06-06-2013, 11:53 PM
They will never become a first world country... It is simply impossible because they have got to a point of no possible return unless they use EXTREME measures... Basically unless some miracle happens, no it is impossible for them...

If China and India became first world then the concept of just what is first world would change. There'd be less to go around, so less luxury in the first world for a start. Outsourced manufacturers were probably have to move too, to somewhere like Indonesia I guess.

there is inequal Distribution but Wikipedia says by 2010 india had estimated 300 Million middle class People and by 2020 will have 600 Million. thats quiete alot. my friends from Facebook are middle class Indians and they go Shopping in big malls and own a lap top and a flat TV and a small nice car etc. also india has one of the the best Metro in the world

Numerically, it's a lot. But it would be like having 3/4 of Europeans poor, so it's not so good when you look at it that way. I doubt they're so affluent, we get "middle class" Indians here and they join our lower class.

Albion
06-06-2013, 11:57 PM
The rich/poor gap is too large in India, but overall wealth GDP will be extremely high. India is an extreme class system Nation.

Indian GDP is low for a such a populous nation. When 1.2 billion are outperformed by 60 million in the UK or France it is really a poor show. China meanwhile has long since surpassed all three.

asingh
06-07-2013, 07:16 AM
^^
Yea, those economic metrics hold no value in the real world. Just for bankers and corporations to jump-the-bandwagon of exploitation+exploration. You all should come over for a visit, and see what a 3rd world nation is. :(

RussiaPrussia
06-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Indian GDP is low for a such a populous nation. When 1.2 billion are outperformed by 60 million in the UK or France it is really a poor show. China meanwhile has long since surpassed all three.

not for ppp, in ppp india is bigger than japan but china is almost 3 times bigger than india

SKYNET
06-07-2013, 07:44 AM
sure, NO.