PDA

View Full Version : What does Jesus Christ means in Hebrew?

el22
06-07-2013, 08:46 AM
If it means anything... I'm interested in the etymology of these words. Maybe Anglojew of other Jewish members can answer this better. Or if the words aren't Jewish, in what language are they, and again how they came to life?

riverman
06-07-2013, 08:51 AM
theres debate about "Jesus". I assume most think it's a Europeanized version of the name Eshu, Isa, Jeshuah, Yoheshuah, Joshua, opinions vary

Philo
06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
In hebrew Christ does not mean anything. It just means Christian.
In hebrew, Christian is called "Nozri". It comes from the place Jesus was born in, Nazareth.
Similarly, Christianity is called "Nazrut".

alfieb
06-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Christ is a Greek-origin word that means anointed one, basically the Greek version of "messiah".
Jesus is a variant of the Hebrew name Joshua.

Since Jews do not believe Jesus is their Messiah, they would not call him Christ.

Queen B
06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Jesus is from Hebrew Yoshua.
Christ is Greek. Ιts for the one that brings/holds/has the chrisma (unction,anoinment). It was the translation of the Hebrew messiah, which also means the one that brings the anoinment.

Pepe Gonzalez
06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Iesous = Greek for Yeshua (salvation)
Christos = Greek for Mashiah (annointed one)

becomes Jesus Christ in English

Maleficent
06-07-2013, 09:34 AM
theres debate about "Jesus". I assume most think it's a Europeanized version of the name Eshu, Isa, Jeshuah, Yoheshuah, Joshua, opinions vary
Isa means Jesus in Arabic. Jesus in Hebrew would be Yeshua. Christ is a Greek origin word mean anointed one.

alfieb
06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Jews call him "Yeshua ben-Yosef", meaning Jesus (Joshua) the son of Joseph.
Muslims call him "Isa ibn Maryam", meaning Jesus the son of Mary.

Jews don't believe in the immaculate conception. Muslims do. To Muslims and Christians, Jesus did not have a human father. To Jews, he did.

Anglojew
06-07-2013, 09:54 AM
It's Joshua (יהושע) the Messiah.

Jesus, as heir to the royal house of David after the murder of his cousin John by the usurper Idumean Herod, was the real King of Judea (the Jews) which was the real reason the Roman's murdered him.

I'm descended from a cadet branch of the house of David. Therefore I'm distantly related to Jesus but no doubt so are millions of others. Separated by 80 generations though.

el22
06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Who became the heir and why Romans preferred him instead of Jesus?

Anglojew
06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Who became the heir and why Romans preferred him instead of Jesus?

Herod?

He was a pawn.

The Maccaabee's took over leadership of the revolt against Roman occupation;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maccabees

Annihilus
06-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Jesus comes from the word Zeus

Anglojew
06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Jesus comes from the word Zeus

That's completely untrue.

Zeus is Ζεύς in Ancient Greek
Jesus is Ἰησοῦς

Basically you have no idea what you're taking about.

Annihilus
06-07-2013, 10:24 AM
That's completely untrue.

Zeus is Ζεύς in Ancient Greek
Jesus is Ἰησοῦς

Basically you have no idea what you're taking about.

IESOUS is Hail Zues in Greek, add to that the fact that letter j as we know it now is only a couple hundred years old (J used to be capital i) there is no way it can be denied.

Anglojew
06-07-2013, 10:31 AM
IESOUS is Hail Zues in Greek, add to that the fact that letter j as we know it now is only a couple hundred years old (J used to be capital i) there is no way it can be denied.

I already wrote the Greek for both. It doesn't mean that it's a transliteration of Hebrew.

Pepe Gonzalez
06-07-2013, 10:35 AM

nominated for dumbest posting of the year

Anglojew
06-07-2013, 10:37 AM
nominated for dumbest posting of the year

Totally. Is this the level of education in Turkey today I wonder?

Annihilus
06-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Who is the sneaky bastard that has deleted posts here?

el22
06-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Who is the sneaky bastard that has deleted posts here?

What did I miss?

Annihilus
06-07-2013, 11:04 AM
What did I miss?

Apparently I can't call anglojew a dumb Jew for bringing in the education system in Turkey which has nothing to do with me stating an obvious fact.

Maleficent
06-07-2013, 11:04 AM
In hebrew Christ does not mean anything. It just means Christian.
In hebrew, Christian is called "Nozri". It comes from the place Jesus was born in, Nazareth.
Similarly, Christianity is called "Nazrut".
The similarity of Semitic languages: First paragraph from the Wikipedia article about Palestinian Christians:

Palestinian Christians are Christians of Palestinian descent, that are descended from the peoples of historic Palestine, today including modern Israel and the Palestinian territories, as well as Christians who emigrated to the area. In this area, there are churches and believers from many Christian denominations, including Oriental Orthodoxy, Anglican, Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholic (Eastern and Western rites), Protestant, and others. In both the local dialect of Palestinian Arabic and in classical or modern standard Arabic, Christians are called Nasrani (a derivative of the Arabic word for Nazareth, al-Nasira) or Masihi (a derivative of Arabic word Masih, meaning "Messiah").[1] In Hebrew, they are called Notzri (also spelt Notsri), which means "Nazarene".