PDA

View Full Version : The Long Lost Friend/Der Lange Verborgene Freund - John George Hohman

Electronic God-Man
09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
The Long Lost Friend
or
Der Lange Verborgene Freund (http://www.sacred-texts.com/ame/pow/index.htm)

by John George Hohman

The Long Lost Friend (1820) (orig. German Der Lange Verborgene Freund) is a magical receipt-book by Johann Georg Hohman and first translated into English in 1846.

Since the 3rd English edition it has also been published under the title Pow-Wows and Pow-Wows or The Long Lost Friend.

Written by a Pennsylvania Dutch healer in the 1820s, this book is a rambling collection of rural home remedies and folk invocations. Pow-wow is a unique creole of Christian theology and a shamanistic belief system. It is still practiced in some rural areas of Pennsylvania. In spite of the name, it is not of Native American derivation. It is believed to have been brought over to America by German immigrants who practiced folk-magic.

Jamt
09-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Link to this stuff?

Electronic God-Man
09-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Link to this stuff?

The huge title is a link. :)

Jamt
09-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Hmm. ok.

Brynhild
09-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I know that this will be slightly off-topic but in a book I recently read by Edred Thorssen he wrote a chapter about Pennsylvanian Dutch that I thought was fascinating. In particular, I think their hex marks are beautiful.

Edit: Maybe not so off-topic, I had a closer look at the link. :)