PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people think they know what average people look like in countries not their own?

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 07:48 PM
A question that's been rattling around in my head for a while.

I've noticed this in many threads - people claiming to know how the average person looks in a country they've never been to and have next to no knowledge of.

People in general tend to have knowledge of their own country and some on the countries that surround their own - that's usually the extent of what they know.

So why is it that so many seem to think they are experts on countries they've never been to, or lived in, or spent any significant time in?

Your opinions... go.

Mark
06-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I think it's a combination of comfortably and cockiness. Some people get in their minds that others are going to look or behave a certain way and have trouble budging from this--sometimes even with proof to contour their argument. :picard1:
Bravado and ignorance can be dangerous, if not embarrassing.

Lemon Kush
06-10-2013, 08:21 PM
I dunno usually from looking at their celebrities, sports players, etc..

Hŕkon
06-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Among the myriad of reasons that are, I will name two (more or less well known):

1. It is in the general nature of people to overestimate their own capability (-ies).
2. Having and sharing or displaying opinions, viewpoints and knowledge (no matter their accordance with reality), and then discussing them in various manners, is generally well enjoyed by people. (Which is how and why forums are.)

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I dunno usually from looking at their celebrities, sports players, etc..

Which essentially means they have no real knowledge.

Jackson
06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
I just don't believe them unless they are from those countries or have spent a long time there, although i might consider it if they have spent a long time looking at various ethnicities, like Sikeliot for example.

Lemon Kush
06-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Which essentially means they have no real knowledge.

Well it gives them a pretty good idea. Would the average people on the street look any different?

Jackson
06-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Well it gives them a pretty good idea. Would the average people on the street look any different?

Quite often yes, unless they are from local clubs. Even then they can be atypical.

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 08:34 PM

So I'm supposed to believe that every woman in France generally looks like Eva Green and every man in France generally looks like Gérard Depardieu?

Just an example.

Celebrities can give a person an idea, but it's never the whole picture.

Only a person from the country in question would know for sure, a foreigner cannot claim expertise, so again why do they think they can?

WOOHP
06-10-2013, 08:48 PM
It's not a big thing. Most of the Europeans here know alot about their neighbouring countries and maybe even other parts of Europe. They know how they look, how they act, stereotypes etc.
Thanks to TV, internet, magazines and tourism we know much more today.

Non-Europeans at TA, like Australians and Americans generally got a connection with Europe. Like me for an example. I've spent significant amount of time in France, and I also currentley live in Sweden. I've been to other European countries aswell. Many Americans are actually genuinely interested about Europe.

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I think it's a combination of comfortably and cockiness. Some people get in their minds that others are going to look or behave a certain way and have trouble budging from this--sometimes even with proof to contour their argument. :picard1:
Bravado and ignorance can be dangerous, if not embarrassing.

It's weird though, especially when it comes to people who have never in their lives met someone from the country or countries they pretend to have knowledge of. It's like in the US, unless you live in a place where you can easily meet people from all over, and even then it's not like they would suddenly know all there is to know.

Among the myriad of reasons that are, I will name two (more or less well known):

1. It is in the general nature of people to overestimate their own capability (-ies).

Hmm, that's interesting and it ties into what Mark said about cockiness.

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I just don't believe them unless they are from those countries or have spent a long time there

Exactly.

Why would one believe a foreigner over a native?

riverman
06-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Exactly.

Why would one believe a foreigner over a native?

I don't.

What you're talking about has happened to me on various threads, on this and other forums, sort of annoying actually.

Mark
06-10-2013, 09:06 PM
It's weird though, especially when it comes to people who have never in their lives met someone from the country or countries they pretend to have knowledge of. It's like in the US, unless you live in a place where you can easily meet people from all over, and even then it's not like they would suddenly know all there is to know.
I agree. I grew up in New York where you can meet people from all over the world--sometimes even daily. But nothing beats living in or spending a great deal of time in another country to better gauge the way people really are.

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't.

What you're talking about has happened to me on various threads, on this and other forums, sort of annoying actually.

That's why I for one never claim to know much about any place other than the one I'm native to, and the one I've lived in for a very long time. Two places, that's it.

riverman
06-10-2013, 09:11 PM
That's why I for one never claim to know much about any place other than the one I'm native to, and the one I've lived in for a very long time. Two places, that's it.

Something else though, we can know our own ethnicity, (usually), at least to a degree for discussion.

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Something else though, we can know our own ethnicity, (usually), at least to a degree for discussion.

Yes, this is true.

ChocolateFace
06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Well I believe that I have pretty precise knowledge on the looks of most European peoples.

From life experiences and research

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 09:34 PM
They know how they look, how they act, stereotypes etc.

That doesn't make any sense.

Thanks to TV, internet, magazines and tourism we know much more today.

None of that is good enough.

Non-Europeans at TA, like Australians and Americans generally got a connection with Europe. Like me for an example. I've spent significant amount of time in France, and I also currentley live in Sweden. I've been to other European countries aswell. Many Americans are actually genuinely interested about Europe.

Not doubting your interest in Europe.
I just know plenty of Americans that think Portugal is in Brazil. :p

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 10:14 PM
I agree. I grew up in New York where you can meet people from all over the world--sometimes even daily. But nothing beats living in or spending a great deal of time in another country to better gauge the way people really are.

Yes, exactly.

Vasconcelos
06-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Unless you have had constant and direct contact with various people for a decently long time your opinion is nearly worthless and potentially misleading.

The arrogance and ignorance some guys speak of peoples they DO NOT KNOW is truly outrageous.

riverman
06-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Unless you have had constant and direct contact with various people for a decently long time your opinion is nearly worthless and potentially misleading.

The arrogance and ignorance some guys speak of peoples they DO NOT KNOW is truly outrageous.

Well said.

Atlantic Islander
06-10-2013, 11:42 PM

I agree.

WOOHP
06-11-2013, 10:53 AM
TA wouldn't be this popular if everyone just posted their opinions about their own ethnicity.

Atlantic Islander
06-11-2013, 08:34 PM
TA wouldn't be this popular if everyone just posted their opinions about their own ethnicity.

There's more to this site than just random chatter about ethnic groups. The genetics section is one of the best and most informative parts imo.

WOOHP
06-11-2013, 10:10 PM
The Anthropology section is the most popular though.

Vasconcelos
06-11-2013, 10:17 PM
It's total shit.

Balmung
06-11-2013, 10:17 PM
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know what everyone looks like in Europe: WHITE. Except for the minorities, and Southern Europeans (im kidding).

Atlantic Islander
06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
The Anthropology section is the most popular though.

Popularity equals quality? That section is just for amusement, filled with pseudo-scientific fluff. There are some good threads like the ones dedicated to each country, the quality posts in each made mostly by people native to the countries.

WOOHP
06-11-2013, 10:38 PM
But it's the most popular. People post there for a reason. Sure the Genetic forum is great, but there are better sites for that. TA is mostly known for the Anthropology section. And what makes it fun and enjoyable is when people post their opinion about other countries.

Take this as an example: Christiano Viejo posts a picture of a blonde Spaniard(we all know this happens alot), other Iberian members join in and classifies him/her. Then the thread dies out after like 10 posts. Fun? No. UNLESS someone(me) gives his/her opinion and then the thread goes nuts until we reach 20 pages. It's fun, amusing, and actually quite educational.

Atlantic Islander
06-11-2013, 11:34 PM
UNLESS someone(me) gives his/her opinion and then the thread goes nuts until we reach 20 pages. It's fun, amusing, and actually quite educational.

Uninformed/uneducated opinions always garner a response.

Incal
06-12-2013, 12:58 AM
So why is it that so many seem to think they are experts on countries they've never been to, or lived in, or spent any significant time in?

Your opinions... go.

Because they suck at everything, and pretending to know about something make them feel a lil bit better.

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Uninformed/uneducated opinions always garner a response.

You just don't get it...

Vasconcelos
06-12-2013, 01:26 PM
:picard2:

gregorius
06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I'll ask my swedish friends brb

Queen B
06-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I agree. Ignorane, mixed with idiocy is having such results.

I can see it when some people here are talking about Greeks. They have no connection to reality :rotfl:

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I just know plenty of Americans that think Portugal is in Brazil. :p

Americans usually think that the whole Italy (Milano or Udine don't exist obviously...only Palermo..) is like the southern Italy of the '30s...xD

Jackson
06-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Americans usually think that the whole Italy (Milano or Udine don't exist obviously...only Palermo..) is like the southern Italy of the '30s...xD

That is true i think. All the stereotypes that i know about Italy seem to relate pretty much to the centre and south. You don't see or hear as much about the north to be honest, which is a shame.

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 04:01 PM
That is true i think. All the stereotypes that i know about Italy seem to relate pretty much to the centre and south. You don't see or hear as much about the north to be honest, which is a shame.

There are, but only in southern american soap operas. :lol:
(i'm serious)

ABest
06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I think that it is extremely irritating when people make outrageous claims about the typical phenotypes in certain countries. I mean, if you don't know anyone from a certain region, have never visited it or have never researched its phenotypical spectrum, then you shouldn't be asserting your opinion about how people from that region look like on average.

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 04:12 PM
There are, but only in southern american soap operas. :lol:
(i'm serious)

Really? What is the general view of North Italy there?

Americans know that Milan, Bologna, Rome exist ofc. But Southern Italian influence has been much much greater so that's probably the reason.

Manuel
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Americans know that Milan, Bologna, Rome exist ofc. But Southern Italian influence has been much much greater so that's probably the reason.

Why is Rome even grouped with Bologna and Milan? it's not a Northern city.

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM

It's not Southern Italy. Maybe that's why?

riverman
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM

central=north.
and historically north & central was Roman Empire.

ABest
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM

Yeah, but he probably responded because you have been very transparent with your agenda.

Manuel
06-12-2013, 04:16 PM

The person you quoted was talking about North Italy. Whatever.

ABest
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
central=north.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrpjuiiwd61qb4s5p.gif

History and anthropology are not your strong points.

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM

That's because 90% of italian americans are siclians or from other southern parts...very few northerns (and there is an accurate explanation for this).

The only americans of northern descents i can think of are Rick Santorum and Rudy Giuliani...but i can think of more than 100 famous italian americans of southern descents...

riverman
06-12-2013, 04:18 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrpjuiiwd61qb4s5p.gif

History and anthropology are not your strong points.

I'm realistic, if you disagree with my statement then I'd suggest reading some history. lol.

ABest
06-12-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm realistic, if you disagree with my statement then I'd suggest reading some history. lol.

lol? OK, keep thinking that you're the history expert then. :)

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah, but he probably responded because you have been very transparent with your agendas.
I wrote that it was the Southern Italian culture that influenced the US. Rome isn't Southern Italy. Just deal with it. I have no particular agenda.

ABest
06-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I wrote that it was the Southern Italian culture that influenced the US. Rome isn't Southern Italy. Just deal with it. I have no particular agenda.

I'm just telling you why some people are responding to you. I perfectly understood what you were saying.

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Btw, we're seen like rich latifondists or business owners, and this isn't so far from reality: during later XIX and early XIX centuries, southern american states liek Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil adopted the immigration policiy of ''Pais blanco'' (only white people here) and attempted to attract skilled immigrants and settlers...since us northerners, in these times, were the only southern euros (occitans excluded, obviously) with management skills and, overall, with foreigner money, many of them settled in Southern Cone and opened succesfull factories/industries/etc, especially in the southern brazilian states and in the Rio de la Plata.

That's why more than 33 million of brazilians (even among mulattos) have italian ancestors, and why 50% of uruguayans and argentines have some degree of italian roots.

...at the opposite, southern italians were poor peasants and workers...so, they gone in US and Canada for the most part.

central=north.

Not true, historically Rome expanded southward, in the former and rich greek territories (the ''Magna Graecia'' and Sicily)...northern Italy was considered ''Gallia Cisalpina'', since was sparsely populated by celts and ligurians.

riverman
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
lol? OK, keep thinking that you're the history expert then. :)

Arf arf, I'm talking about the R. Empire, whatever.

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm just telling you why some people are responding to you. I perfectly understood what you were saying.
Please tell me why you belive he responded me.

Manuel
06-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Btw, we're seen like rich latifondists or business owners, and this isn't so far from reality: during later XIX and early XIX centuries, southern american states liek Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil adopted the immigration policiy of ''Pais blanco'' (only white people here) and attempted to attract skilled immigrants and settlers...since us northerners, in these times, were the only southern euros (occitans excluded, obviously) with management skills and, overall, with foreigner money, many of them settled in Southern Cone and opened succesfull factories/industries/etc, especially in the southern brazilian states and in the Rio de la Plata.

That's why more than 33 million of brazilians (even among mulattos) have italian ancestors, and why 50% of uruguayans and argentines have some degree of italian roots.

...at the opposite, southern italians were poor peasants and workers...so, they gone in US and Canada for the most part.

Not true, historically Rome expanded southward, in the former and rich greek territories (the ''Magna Graecia'' and Sicily)...northern Italy was considered ''Gallia Cisalpina'', since was sparsely populated by celts and ligurians.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Roman_conquest_of_Italy.PNG

This is a quite clear map of Roman expansion.

Please be less obnoxious 'cos you're wildly wrong.

Why the fuck is everyone so aggressive in here?

riverman
06-12-2013, 04:31 PM

Which area had more Empiric influence in totality, in your opinion?

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 04:31 PM
TEXT
It's a shame they didn't come to the US instead. Today they are living in a third world country. Sure the Southern Brazilian regions are fine. But I think they would have been better off here in the US.

ABest
06-12-2013, 04:33 PM

Arf, Arf, Southern Italian and Sicilian cities were strategically, politically and culturally much more important for the Roman Empire simply because they already existed and were already highly advanced before Rome expanded.

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 04:38 PM
It's a shame they didn't come to the US instead. Today they are living in a third world country. Sure the Southern Brazilian regions are fine. But I think they would have been better off here in the US.

Some of us went even in the USA, btw...that's why my maternal granfather was born in Joliet, Illinois...the funny thing is that he was a lombard native speaker...in his entire life he didn't learnt a single word of standard italian...he was able to speak only english and lombard...:lol:

Btw, during Peron's (another man of partial italian descents) rule, Argentina was the 6th world economy...too bad that their corrupted governments and their opera-like dictators literally transformed most of the Southern Cone into a shithole.

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Which area had more Empiric influence in totality, in your opinion?

The parts which were colonized bu roman settlers from Rome...the other parts were only inhabited by indigenous romanized people.

Here the map of the roman colonies:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_umhSvWEgx2c/TClAOLxqQfI/AAAAAAAAFbY/dj145Fo8p5E/s1600/colonie.jpg

Prince Carlo
06-12-2013, 04:59 PM

At their peak pure Italians weren't more than 1.5% of US population and 20% of them were from North Italy. 99% of what Americans know about Italy, comes from Television.

Geni
06-12-2013, 05:03 PM
The parts which were colonized bu roman settlers from Rome...the other parts were only inhabited by indigenous romanized people.

Here the map of the roman colonies:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_umhSvWEgx2c/TClAOLxqQfI/AAAAAAAAFbY/dj145Fo8p5E/s1600/colonie.jpg

Albania is full..hmm..

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 05:09 PM
At their peak pure Italians weren't more than 1.5% of US population and 20% of them were from North Italy. 99% of what Americans know about Italy, comes from Television.

They're 6% according to the census:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_American

Prince Carlo
06-12-2013, 05:29 PM
They're 6% according to the census:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_American

^^ Only if you include all the halfbreeds and latin americans claiming italian ancestry.

Outnumbered by groups migrating for decades before them. Italians only made-up 1.5% of the U.S. population at its peak.

http://library.thinkquest.org/20619/Italian.html#

Demographic growth.
2010[1] — 17,250,211
5.9% of the U.S. population
2000[2] — 15,723,555
1990[3] — 14,664,550
1980[4] — 12,183,692

They are grown by 50% in 30 years? lol.

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 05:38 PM
^^ Only if you include all the halfbreeds and latin americans claiming italian ancestry.

They are grown by 50% in 30 years? lol.

I noticed this too...something wrong...:lol:

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 06:28 PM
I noticed this too...something wrong...:lol:

Someone who's like 50% German 25% English and 25% Italian could answer "Italian American". Those kind of surveys are not trustable. Take me as an example. What would I answer if they asked me? I feel equally related to all four ancestries and it would be kinda false if I answered Swedish American, cause I'm not even 50% Swedish.
Nah, I doubt that survey is realistic.

Peyrol
06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Someone who's like 50% German 25% English and 25% Italian could answer "Italian American". Those kind of surveys are not trustable. Take me as an example. What would I answer if they asked me? I feel equally related to all four ancestries and it would be kinda false if I answered Swedish American, cause I'm not even 50% Swedish.

That's the point...so, if someone is 75% puertorican and 25% sicilian, can pick ''italian''...mhh...

WOOHP
06-12-2013, 06:57 PM
That's the point...so, if someone is 75% puertorican and 25% sicilian, can pick ''italian''...mhh...

Yeah, people chooses the ethnicty they feel related to.
And Italian along side with Irish are the most "popular" selfreported ancestries today, not just among Hispanics but White selfhating Americans aswell. Dutch and French are the most underepresented ethnicities.

Atlantic Islander
06-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I think that it is extremely irritating when people make outrageous claims about the typical phenotypes in certain countries. I mean, if you don't know anyone from a certain region, have never visited it or have never researched its phenotypical spectrum, then you shouldn't be asserting your opinion about how people from that region look like on average.

Preach!

I completely agree.

Atlantic Islander
06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
It's funny, I made that post a while back with a description of a type, asking people which phenotype comes to mind while reading it, people said:

Slightly-Alpinized North-Atlantid
Keltic-nordid
Atlanto-med
north pontid
Basque - Other possibilities would be Dinaricized Med or Dinaric
Sounds kelto-Atlantid type. From Atlantid to Keltic Nordid. Kelts have more compressed temples though, less triangle like, though can have the Dinarc trait.
Some sort of Nordic definately.
Keltic Nordid + Atlantid, triangular face, thin nose, narrow lips turned slightly outwards sounds about right
Wide range of interpretations - honest opinions.

Vasconcelos
06-14-2013, 12:16 AM
It's all pseudo-science, and when made by "arm chair internet hero anthopologists" it really shouldn't be taken any seriously.

riverman
06-14-2013, 12:24 AM
It's all pseudo-science, and when made by "arm chair internet hero anthopologists" it really shouldn't be taken any seriously.

:D,,,,,,,,,,,

Atlantic Islander
06-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Yes, I agree. Classification is fun, but people shouldn't believe it - it's still pseudo-science.

The descriptions were written long before Coon and his plates. :D

Humanophage
06-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Living in a country doesn't really give one authority to say what a "typical" person there looks like. In fact, people have many weird delusions about the ethnic appearance of those surrounding them. I have seen all sorts of outrageous concepts of what Russians look like, coming from Russians.

Either way, I am mostly annoyed by people who say "he looks German" instead of trying to find an adequate description from the language of physical anthropology. While it is unscientific to use it this way, it is still more informative than "guessing ethnicity". For example, Atlantic Islander's list projects a clear, lucid picture and avoids pointless mentions of ethnicity.

Permafrost
06-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Living in a country doesn't really give one authority to say what a "typical" person there looks like. In fact, people have many weird delusions about the ethnic appearance of those surrounding them.

Not only that, but there actually is a tendency toward bias coming from people living in a country, just like there is from outsiders.

So I agree that the most qualified individual when talking about people's phenotypes is the one living among said people, however that shouldn't be the only qualification. As noticed by Humanophage, there is the matter of presenting the description in a lucid way and using appropriate terminology, I'm sure there are other factors...

Atlantic Islander
06-14-2013, 09:04 PM
While it is unscientific to use it this way, it is still more informative than "guessing ethnicity". For example, Atlantic Islander's list projects a clear, lucid picture and avoids pointless mentions of ethnicity.

Yes, posting a description of a group and not mentioning their ethnicity garners honest opinions - at least for the most part, some people could still bias their opinion based on the country the OP is from.

Gaijin
06-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Foreigners love to assign other peoples identity, especially if that identity is perceived as inferior to them. This magnifies their ego as a person of great ancillary.
Such deposition is accompanied with an inferiority complex, notorious among unconscious people, where they know little to nothing about a Country & Group of people.

This type of forums is a good example, by the way. Perhaps the best example to give.

Atlantic Islander
07-03-2013, 06:15 AM
Bump.

Incal
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
According to Sikeliot he knows what every single Cypriot looks like...from behind his keyboard in the USA.

Hahahahahaha.

Peikko
07-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I think we all know where most of the Internet experts come from.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XDjvRCCMdOY/T_aB0q3liyI/AAAAAAAC1u0/T6vNVBBPYQA/s1600/meanwhile_in_america_07.jpg
They just know how Europeans look like, better than Europeans themselves.

WOOHP
07-03-2013, 05:05 PM
I think we all know where most of the Internet experts come from.

They just know how Europeans look like, better than Europeans themselves.

Why would you know better about how, lets say Romanians look like as a Finn than an American? Makes no sense.

Incal
07-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Why would you know better about how, lets say Romanians look like as a Finn than an American? Makes no sense.

Because it is really common for Europeans to travel all around their continent (plus intra-migration), while the average Yank don't even have a passport.

WOOHP
07-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Because it is really common for Europeans to travel all around their continent (plus intra-migration), while the average Yank don't even have a passport.

Well that's not true. Most Northern Europeans I know have only been to Greece, Spain and maybe UK, France and/or Germany. They know little about smaller countries far away like Moldova, Slovenia or Portugal.

Besides Americans travel alot in Europe too. France and the UK are pretty famous destinations.

Stormer99
07-03-2013, 05:50 PM

But the average American has seen many immigrants and many of them have old family photos of their immigrant relatives coming over around the early 20th century.

Peikko
07-03-2013, 05:59 PM
The traveling thing applies to some countries, maybe not to Romania. Another example is, that most people watch sports, follow the news, etc. I know personally people from all over Europe too.

I'm not saying I'm expert of all parts of Europe. I don't know much about SE Europe for example, and therefore don't usually feel comfy to participate threads related to them. ut I don't pretend to be an expert either, unlike some Americans. I usually try to focus on Northern Europe.

WOOHP
07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
The traveling thing applies to some countries, maybe not to Romania. Another example is, that most people watch sports, follow the news, etc. I know personally people from all over Europe too.

I'm not saying I'm expert of all parts of Europe. I don't know much about SE Europe for example, and therefore don't usually feel comfy to participate threads related to them. ut I don't pretend to be an expert either, unlike some Americans. I usually try to focus on Northern Europe.
You're allowed to express your opinions here at TA. I don't know alot about SE or Eeast Euros in general but it doesn't stop me from participating in threads about them.
Neither do I get mad and disrespectful just because some Europeans try to post their opinions about how Americans look like, in contrary to most European members here.

Archduke
07-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Because most of the people here base their opinion on stereotypes. Simple as that.

Atlantic Islander
07-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Because most of the people here base their opinion on stereotypes. Simple as that.

Which means they are basing their opinions on complete rubbish.

bimo
07-05-2013, 09:20 AM
well i can have a personal opinion about other ethnicity and say "you look german , spaniard , russian , greeks ecc...) , but i never say such thing like i am an expert and like my words are the rule and of course i leave the last word for a person wich is from and live in the country for wich i'm talking

Atlantic Islander
07-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Bump.

Chieftain
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Because they might have actually visited those countries?

Lusos
07-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Well that's not true. Most Northern Europeans I know have only been to Greece, Spain and maybe UK, France and/or Germany. They know little about smaller countries far away like Moldova, Slovenia or Portugal.

Besides Americans travel alot in Europe too. France and the UK are pretty famous destinations.

Portugal receives around 12 Millions visitors a Year.Most are from the UK,Holland and Germany.

Quote.
"Most Northern Europeans I know ..."

Atlantic Islander
07-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Because they might have actually visited those countries?

This was the full question:

Balmung
07-10-2013, 03:45 PM

Thats like people in New York & LA though. I'd say most White Americans outside of those areas are pred British descent. They're numerous, and they practically dominate the ancestries of all our White entertainers. The only other ancestry you hear a lot of among entertainers besides Scottish, English, Irish is Jewish......Jews love hollywood!

Just look at the cast in most of our films. They always look completely Anglo.

http://www.miscupload.com/upload/388302832751412462644763.jpg

All those girls could go straight back to Britain, except the Asian ofcourse LOL

WOOHP
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Portugal receives around 12 Millions visitors a Year.Most are from the UK,Holland and Germany.

Quote.
"Most Northern Europeans I know ..."
And how many visitors do America get every year? And how many Americans visit Europe every year? Britain and France are the two most popular countries to visit among Americans. Germany, Italy and Spain are popular too.

Thats like people in New York & LA though. I'd say most White Americans outside of those areas are pred British descent. They're numerous, and they practically dominate the ancestries of all our White entertainers. The only other ancestry you hear a lot of among entertainers besides Scottish, English, Irish is Jewish......Jews love hollywood!

Just look at the cast in most of our films. They always look completely Anglo.

http://www.miscupload.com/upload/388302832751412462644763.jpg

All those girls could go straight back to Britain, except the Asian ofcourse LOL

Yeah, I've been telling this to some Iberian members here, that most of all White Americans are pretty much Anglo+German(very common from Pennsylvania to Oregon) or just British. Dutch, French, Italian and Scandinavian ancestries are restricted to certain states/regions. I mean even really multi-ethnic states like California got a German + Anglo majority. But they refuse to believe that the White population in America, outside some areas in Northeast is highly Germanic.

But the ancestry of the actors/entertainers in America, I strongly dissagree. Take a look here:
http://ethnicelebs.com/

Atlantic Islander
11-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Bump.

RMuller
11-11-2013, 01:10 AM
On race forums and on Anthropology forums many times people with an agenda against a certain ethnic group or country will use stereotypes to enhance their agenda against that group. They will post atypical looking people of their targeted group over and over untill a few idiots believe it. It's kinda of what political ads attempt to do on their opponent.

alnortedelsur
03-17-2014, 05:52 AM
But it's the most popular. People post there for a reason. Sure the Genetic forum is great, but there are better sites for that. TA is mostly known for the Anthropology section. And what makes it fun and enjoyable is when people post their opinion about other countries.

Take this as an example: Christiano Viejo posts a picture of a blonde Spaniard(we all know this happens alot), other Iberian members join in and classifies him/her. Then the thread dies out after like 10 posts. Fun? No. UNLESS someone(me) gives his/her opinion and then the thread goes nuts until we reach 20 pages. It's fun, amusing, and actually quite educational.

Yes, and our responses are very educational, particularly for people with stereotyped misconceptions about ethnic groups they don't know about, as in your case.

1stLightHorse
03-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Maybe they've travelled to countries...however i've heard people say Alexandria in Egypt is "whiter" than Cairo because it's further north and on the mediterranean sea.

This is completely untrue. I've spent too much time in both of them and Cairo is by far more light featured than Alexandria. Some of the darkest SSA-influenced Egyptians i know are Alexandrian by deep ancestry.

Sikeliot
03-17-2014, 06:03 AM
. Some of the darkest SSA-influenced Egyptians i know are Alexandrian by deep ancestry.

Then you don't know many people from Luxor southward, some of them look almost Horn African.

1stLightHorse
03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Then you don't know many people from Luxor southward, some of them look almost Horn African.

Luxor and Aswan etc are nowhere near Cairo. Yes, they do look like horn africans, which are dark-skinned caucasoids.

The people i'm referring to are more west-african looking.

Sikeliot
03-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Luxor and Aswan etc are nowhere near Cairo. Yes, they do look like horn africans, which are dark-skinned caucasoids.

The people i'm referring to are more west-african looking.

I've seen people from Cairo and Alexandria who look like quadroonish Dominicans.

afrotaino
03-20-2014, 06:33 PM
they are fools, for example a british do not know more about haitians than a dominican, I don't know too about eastern europenas countries but i know a lot about caribbeans countries

Atlantic Islander
03-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Bump.

Caismeachd
03-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Because those types of people use this forum as a tool to gauge their own self worth and by acting knowledgeable they get a multitude of thumbs up and acknowledgement by people who are equally as unknowledgable. The blind leading the blind, more or less. They aren't even aware at how ignorant and unsophisticated in worldly experience they are but will go to any means to pretend they are.