PDA

View Full Version : Hungarians in Romania fear regional reform plans

Szegedist
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Ethnic Hungarians in Romania will take to the streets if the government merges Székely-dominated areas into a majority Romanian region in the upcoming reform of public administrative districts, RMDSZ president Hunor Kelemen declared yesterday.

The head of Romania’s largest ethnic Hungarian party told Radio France Internationale that people protested on the streets in 1968 and will do again in 2013.

He was referring to protests sparked when Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceausescu moved to abolish the Mures Hungarian Autonomous Province in 1968.

Romanian politicians should overcome their paranoia, because nobody will take Harghita and Covasna counties away in bags, leaving a black hole in the middle of the country, Kelemen remarked.

He argued that ethnic considerations in the region should be taken into account.

Deputy prime minister Liviu Dragnea, who is in charge of the administrative reform, dismissed Kelemen’s comments as dangerous and unfair.

Forming new regions will not require passports within the country, as the new system will only co-ordinate the development projects of the affected counties, he said, adding that ethnic Hungarians have nothing to fear.

Baluarte
06-12-2013, 09:42 AM
"When the government tells you not to panic, that's when you run"

Gerrymandering is the cheapest and lowest example of political manipulation and electoral cheating. I don't see why it's even necessary to begin with.

Courage to Hungarians.

Szegedist
06-12-2013, 09:49 AM
I am trying to look for the map of the proposed changes, I can't find it now but I saw it before.
Basically, they want to attach the Szekler regions to regions of Moldova on the other side of the Carpathians, so its not even within the same historic and geographic region.

Baluarte
06-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Any official excuse?