PDA

View Full Version : Catholics 'feel alienated' from UK

Baluarte
06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
http://cdn1.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/article29324065.ece/ALTERNATES/h342/PANews+BT_N0282101370442702705A_I1.jpg

Northern Ireland Catholics feel alienated from the United Kingdom but do not feel a united Ireland is a realistic prospect, a new academic survey has revealed.

The number of people believing Irish unity is very unlikely has now risen to 41%, with fewer Catholics than Protestants expecting it.

The study also highlighted a significant drop in the number of people wishing to remain in the UK - down from 72% to 63% since 2010 - the lowest since devolution in 2007 especially among Catholics.

Duncan Morrow, of the University of Ulster, said: "These results confirm that the hybrid nature of Northern Ireland as a shared space sharply and persistently divided over questions of national identity is unchanged.

"However, this does not translate into a similar division over constitutional status, where there is little evidence of any strong desire for Irish unity at present."

The findings were recorded in the annual Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey carried out by the University of Ulster and Queen's University of Belfast (QUB).

It found a marked rise in the percentage of people describing their national identity as Irish - up from 26% in 2010 to 32% in 2012. But the proportion of people who said they were Northern Irish had fallen from a historic high of 29% three years ago to 22% in 2012.

This included a significant drop in the number of Catholics calling themselves Northern Irish, which was down from 26% to 17% - the lowest in more than a decade. There has been a jump in the percentage of Protestants calling themselves British from 60% to 68%.

The annual survey records public attitudes to a wide range of social issues and is aimed at providing insights into the changing nature of Northern Ireland politics and society.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely understandable. Protestants show their true allegiance.

My sympathy for the Irish

alfieb
06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Oh, you're British, eh?

Great Britain is that other island over there... feel free.

Solidarity with my Catholic brothers. :coffee:

riverman
06-13-2013, 03:28 PM
[IMG]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely understandable. Protestants show their true allegiance.

My sympathy for the Irish

Irish is an ethnicity, not a religious denomination.

Baluarte
06-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Read the article and get some context.

Baluarte
06-13-2013, 04:01 PM
I suppose that since the very term "Irish" is related to the free Republic of Ireland and its mostly Catholic people, they find it easier to show allegiance to Westminster, the source of Anglicanism.

Hurrem sultana
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
No catholics in north Europe:mad:

alfieb
06-13-2013, 04:20 PM
No Muhammadans in Europe.

RussiaPrussia
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Catholics complaining...

Baluarte
06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
No Muhammadans in Europe.

All remember Sigurd I Magnusson, called Sigurd the Crusader, the Norwegian King that took his military host across Europe, fighting Islam at every turn.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/SigurdNorwegianCrusade1107-1111OldNorse.png

Ah the old days, where refugees and crocodile tearing asylum-seekers wouldn't sway the Christian spirit of Old Europe.

"After this they came to a castle in Muslim Al-Andalus called Sintra (Sintre - present day Sintra, Portugal, probably referring to Colares which is closer to the sea). They took the castle, and killed every man there as they had refused to be christened. Further they sailed to Lisbon, a "half Christian and half heathen" city, said to be the division between Christian and Muslim Iberia. There they won their third battle, and acquired great treasures."

"They were warmly welcomed, and Baldwin rode together with Sigurd to the river Jordan, and back again to Jerusalem.
The Norwegians were given much treasures and relics, including a splinter off the True Cross that allegedly Jesus himself had been crucified on. This was given on the condition that they would continue to promote Christianity and bring the relic to the burial site of St. Olaf.

Later Sigurd returned to his ships at Acre, and when king Baldwin were going to the heathen (i.e. Muslim) town of Sidon (Sætt) in Syria (Sırland) Sigurd and his men accompanied him in the siege. The town was then taken and subsequently the Lordship of Sidon established."

Those days when the North still served the Faith.

Loki
06-13-2013, 05:39 PM

^ This :thumb001:

Loki
06-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Catholics complaining...

They're weird, as usual.

Graham
06-13-2013, 05:41 PM
A lot of Protestant Brits, in Britain, actually sympathise with the Irish Catholics, it doesn't get mentioned much. The whole thing is a stubborn mess there.

Baluarte
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
^ This :thumb001:

You're historically coherent, I'll give you that :thumb001:

Various overtures were made by Ottoman rulers to the Protestants, who were also fighting against a common enemy, the Catholic House of Habsburg. Suleiman the Magnificent is known to have sent at least one letter to the "Lutherans" in Flanders, offering troops at the time they would request,[20] Murad III is also known to have advocated to Elizabeth I an alliance between England and the Ottoman Empire

Overall, the military activism of the Ottoman Empire on the southern European front probably was the reason why Lutheranism was able to survive in spite of the opposition of Charles V and reach recognition at the Peace of Augsburg in September 1555:[9] "the consolidation, expansion and legitimization of Lutheranism in Germany by 1555 should be attributed to Ottoman imperialism more than to any other single factor"

It's a pity that Tuan is banned, would be funny to see him reconcile his pro-heretic point of view with his rampant Islamophobia.

Loki
06-13-2013, 05:54 PM
^ Yes, thank God for the Ottomans.

arcticwolf
06-13-2013, 07:04 PM

You must be shitting me! LOL You as a Muslim think you fit better? This is just too funny! :laugh:

Loki must like the idea he thanked you! haha maybe others in that area feel the same way! If they do I hope they get their wish granted! LOL

Peyrol
06-13-2013, 07:08 PM

...and no muslims in Italy xD

Baluarte
06-13-2013, 07:12 PM
...and no muslims in Italy xD

Amen

Bring back the Roman Inquisition

http://womenineuropeanhistory.org/images/f/fa/Inquisitorial_Trial2.JPG

Jackson
06-13-2013, 07:19 PM
On the broader subject of Catholicism, at least Protestants got more in touch with the actual religion than spending all their time filling their Churches with the wealth of people better than them.

As regards to Northern Ireland...well it's been a trouble spot for a while. Catholics feeling alienated is not desirable but not surprising as well, although i might have expected it more the other way around.

Baluarte
06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
On the broader subject of Catholicism, at least Protestants got more in touch with the actual religion than spending all their time filling their Churches with the wealth of people better than them.

The Love of Money, Satisfaction, and the Protestant Work Ethic:
Money Profiles Among Univesity Professors in the U.S.A. and Spain

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FB%3ABUSI.0000025081.51622.2f

Jackson
06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
The Love of Money, Satisfaction, and the Protestant Work Ethic:
Money Profiles Among Univesity Professors in the U.S.A. and Spain

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FB%3ABUSI.0000025081.51622.2f

Sounds interesting, but unless it is about the accumulated wealth of the Church i do not see the direct relevance?

In my opinion Christianity should focus on the religious element. Charity work is the main thing i respect about religious institutions, in regards to their role outside of their core roles, and surely hoarding wealth (signficantly beyond the neccesary) is not central to Christianity?
I think that institutions should focus on what they do more than how shiny they look. :P