PDA

View Full Version : EU membership will allow closer cooperation between Croatia and Hungary, ambassador says

Szegedist
06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
With its official EU accession on July 1, Croatia will return to Central Europe, Croatia’s ambassador to Hungary told MTI in an interview on Thursday.

From a geopolitical point of view, Central Europe is a special region, a buffer zone between east and west, a zone where countries share similar ideals, objectives and interests, Gordan Grlic Radman said.

EU membership will allow Croatia to more closely cooperate with the Visegrad Four, namely the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia, he said.

The ambassador thanked the support and help Hungary had provided for his country throughout the entire EU integration process.

He noted that the final chapter sealing Croatia’s membership had been successfully closed just during Hungary’s EU presidency in 2011.

Concerning Croatia’s EU integration process, the ambassador pointed out that Brussels assigned the “greatest amount of homework” to be done by his country.

Grlic Radman attributed the extra load to several member states’ position that Romania and Bulgaria had been admitted in 2007 prematurely, mainly out of political considerations, without being obliged to live up to all accession criteria.

Brussels set several more criteria for Croatia to fulfil, the benefit of which is that the country has become an EU member much more prepared, he said.

Concerning the public’s expectations, the ambassador pointed out that Croatians are optimistic, but maintain a critical stance as well. Croatia in their view has a place in the EU, but maintaining its sovereignty is also important for them, Ambassador Grlic Radman said.

Sisak
06-14-2013, 08:45 PM
I think it can be positive because continental part of Croatia is similar to Hungary. I'd like to hear which will be the first change to happen when we join the EU, positivity and negativity?

Szegedist
06-14-2013, 08:51 PM
I think it can be positive because continental part of Croatia is similar to Hungary. I'd like to hear which will be the first change to happen when we join the EU, positivity and negativity?

You personally won't notice a difference in your life quality, at least not for a few years, but your politicians will feel better.

You will probably see some roads renewed, maybe some new motorways, some buildings and schools renewed...

Sisak
06-14-2013, 09:02 PM
A lot of schools and roads has already been done, even in some small villages, but the most annoying thing is money mostly invested in the capital Zagreb.

Szegedist
06-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Are you looking forward to Croatia joining EU or not?

Sisak
06-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Many people are skeptical about the European Union, and those who have declared that they want to enter the EU are people from Slavonia, because since independence has not been no change, and now it is their chance for a different direction. We do not want just tourism.