PDA

View Full Version : What browser do you use?

Loki
12-19-2008, 10:27 AM
If you know what a browser is, please participate in this poll. ;)

And ... any comments welcome on the strengths and weaknesses of any of them. Rants allowed as well. :coffee:

Multiple choice, public poll.

Absinthe
12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
My browser of choice is Mozilla Firefox. I find to be most convenient.

At work, I am stuck with this stupid IE 7 that crashes all the time :p

HawkR
12-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Haha! Fools!

Home I use Opera, at work I use IE6:p

Vulpix
12-19-2008, 10:56 AM
I use mainly Firefox, then Opera and Chrome for a bit of fun ;). Home & work. Wouldn't touch IE with a proverbial ten-foot pole.

Loki
12-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately most work computers are limited to IE only. But at home I have gradually moved to Google Chrome. I like it, and now use it permanently. On the mobile phone I use the Opera Mini browser, which is very nice.

Vulpix
12-19-2008, 11:07 AM
That's because people don't complain :disapproving.

Unfortunately most work computers are limited to IE only.

Opera Mini on my phones too.

HawkR
12-19-2008, 11:40 AM
That's because people don't complain :disapproving.

No? Clearly you haven't had an office job:p

Oisín
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Used to only use IE, downloaded Firefox a month or so ago and I think it's way better.

HawkR
12-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Used to only use IE, downloaded Firefox a month or so ago and I think it's way better.

Everything is better than IE, even whatever Mac uses.

Thorum
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Ok, ok. What the hell am I missing here? All I have ever used is IE. I haven't had any problems and it seems to do what I want. I am curious now. I have a fast 2gb memory computer with a 1.66 gig processor I bought last year. Is it time to research a new browser too?

Vulpix
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes I have :eek:... and I never heard someone complain to IT services that they don't want to be forced to use IE.

No? Clearly you haven't had an office job:p

Loki
12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Ok, ok. What the hell am I missing here? All I have ever used is IE. I haven't had any problems and it seems to do what I want. I am curious now. I have a fast 2gb memory computer with a 1.66 gig processor I bought last year. Is it time to research a new browser too?

Try this one for a new experience:

http://www.google.com/chrome

:)

You will notice that not all browsers display pages in the same way. Have a look at the difference on our forumhome page in Chrome ...

Thorum
12-19-2008, 12:56 PM
"Have a look at the difference on our forumhome page in Chrome ... "

You mean change the "skin" on the Forum?

Loki
12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
"Have a look at the difference on our forumhome page in Chrome ... "

You mean change the "skin" on the Forum?

No ... not all browsers display webages in exactly the same way. Check it out!

For example, on IE I see that the Regional subfora's flags are outlined with a thick blue frame. It is not visible on Chrome or Firefox. Doesn't look good in IE. I may have to experiment with the templates in order to have this right in all the browsers.

Thorum
12-19-2008, 01:05 PM
No ... not all browsers display webages in exactly the same way. Check it out!

For example, on IE I see that the Regional subfora's flags are outlined with a thick blue frame. It is not visible on Chrome or Firefox. Doesn't look good in IE. I may have to experiment with the templates in order to have this right in all the browsers.

Yes, I see. I just went to the website. The examples they have of the browser do look clean. And it says it is a fast browser, that is always nice. Maybe I will give it a shot tonight when I get home from work.......Thanks!!
:thumbs up

Loki
12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Yes, I see. I just went to the website. The examples they have of the browser do look clean. And it says it is a fast browser, that is always nice. Maybe I will give it a shot tonight when I get home from work.......Thanks!!
:thumbs up

It is definitely faster than IE, especially on a slow connection. But I guess nowadays with broadband everywhere, it doesn't really matter too much.

Thorum
12-19-2008, 01:43 PM
It is definitely faster than IE, especially on a slow connection. But I guess nowadays with broadband everywhere, it doesn't really matter too much.

If I switch to Google, I wonder if I can save my "Favorites"? :coffee:

Eldritch
12-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Bog-standard Exploder. The version I use now seems much more stable than before, can't really recall it crashing more than maybe once or twice.

I used to use Opera, but disliked its window management system.

Vulpix
12-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I can import your favorites from IE. Any browser lets you do that.

If I switch to Google, I wonder if I can save my "Favorites"? :coffee:

Beorn
12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Firefox. Have been for over a year now and will not be persuaded to use anything else.
The add-ons are great, the designs are even better and the speed is tremendous.

The only down side is the memory leaks. But, meh!

Loki
12-19-2008, 04:57 PM

We've managed to fix this problem. ;)

Aemma
12-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Seems that I'm quite behind the times...I haven't even heard of half of these. :icon_redface: I'm one of those IE users. Hmm maybe it's time to experiment a little?

Thorum
12-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Seems that I'm quite behind the times...I haven't even heard of half of these. :icon_redface: I'm one of those IE users. Hmm maybe it's time to experiment a little?

Same as me, IE and never thought of anything else................I think I will try the Google Chrome this weekend and report back!!
:fponder:

SwordoftheVistula
12-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Mozilla mainly. Sometimes Youtube doesn't work properly, in which case I use Opera

Rudy
12-24-2008, 10:07 PM
I use Firefox because I read in the past that it may be safer, but I have not looked into the security ratings for browsers recently.

Atlas
12-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Mozilla Firefox, definitely better than that Internet Explorer mess.

GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS
12-25-2008, 10:15 AM
I use FF 3.0 for the most part, but sometimes use IE6 for quick FTP sessions and testing of web sites (so they're cmpatible).

40% of the market is IE6, another 35% is IE7 if I remember correctly.

Loki
05-01-2009, 05:18 AM
Hmmm in the past few days I've been trying out different browsers for size.

I usually use Google Chrome, which has taken over from Internet Explorer for me. Sigurd mentioned Opera a day or so ago, which I tried. I was impressed ... they certainly have improved it since I first checked it out some 5 years ago.

But now I downloaded Apple's Safari browser (http://www.apple.com/safari/). I'm loving it! Speed seems faster than the others, and the visual clarity seems superior. Try it out! :thumb001:

Tabiti
05-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Mozilla Firefox.
Haven't tried something different than IE and Firefox, but the last one satisfies me, so I go with it.

Lady L
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Google Chrome :thumbs up

Äike
05-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox

Aemma
05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I use evil Bill Gates stuff. :p

I should try others on for size one day. But my Bessie (my pooter) is temperamental you know, so I have to initiate change when she's in a good mood! :P

Hypathia
05-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Mozilla Firefox for ever:D

Vargtand
05-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Firefox

Groenewolf
05-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I mainly use Opera, Firefox only a few things that do not seem to work so well with opera.

anonymaus
05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Firefox renders most things properly and doesn't often choke on bad code like other browsers. I switched to FF when it was version 0.8 and for the level of customization I require there is no alternative.

Vulpix
05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Firefox, Opera AND Chrome.

Brynhild
05-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Firefox, but I'll have a look at the one that Loki suggested. :thumbs up

Skandi
05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Firefox direct and I have IE set up to run off a proxy :)

Rainraven
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Internet Exploder ;)

It's awful. Crashes on me constantly... But I'm too slack to change :D

Vulpix
05-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Internet Exploder ;)

It's awful. Crashes on me constantly... But I'm too slack to change :D

Do yourself a favor: download, install, import bookmarks, and forget about IE!

www.getfirefox.com

www.opera.com/download

www.google.com/chrome

Barreldriver
05-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Firefox :D The only browser that hasn't screwed me royal.

YggsVinr
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
People still use Internet Explorer? :eek: Anyways, I use Sea Monkey (another Mozilla browser) on my laptop but now since I'm not using my laptop for internet anymore I use Firefox. Have tried Opera a few times in the past but it annoyed me.

Vulpix
05-07-2009, 07:09 PM
People still use Internet Explorer? :eek:

Indeed :eek:! :confused:

Atlas
05-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't use IE by choice, but just because I had a virus some months ago crashing my MSN and Mozilla Firefox, so I have to put up with that IE crap that crashes 30 times a day. :mad:

Atlas
05-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Bump... I decided I could eventually switch to google chrome, I should thanks Loki for telling us about it, quite awesome, and I thought Firefox was great ! Fast, easier, more clean. :thumbs up

Loki
05-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Bump... I decided I could eventually switch to google chrome, I should thanks Loki for telling us about it, quite awesome, and I thought Firefox was great ! Fast, easier, more clean. :thumbs up

Chrome is most definitely my browser of choice. I tried out Safari for some days and liked it, but I'm back again on Chrome. It seems to be the most user-friendly and clean of browsers. Speed excellent too. What I like about it, is that you can just type any word into the browser and it does a Wikipedia search. Quick and convenient.

Rainraven
05-10-2009, 09:53 PM
I am now viewing this page on google chrome :thumb001:

Might take a wee bit of getting used to, it's so... empty! But I like it :D

Ladejarlen
05-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I use Opera, I think its better than Firefox:thumb001:
On my old mac I use safari.

Vulpix
05-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm pleased IE is not leading, but why is 35% still using it :confused:?

Ladejarlen
05-12-2009, 10:33 AM
What I like about it, is that you can just type any word into the browser and it does a Wikipedia search. Quick and convenient.
This you can do with Opera too, and I guess with firefox too. In Opera you can add your own search and customise engines very easy. If Firefox dont have this option you could just simply search for "keyword wikipedia" for example.

lei.talk
05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm pleased IE is not leading,
but why is 35% still using it?
:confused:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1758&d=1242119774many of the drop-downs, options and other features
on various web-sites
do not appear/are not offered/do not function

while sampling the other browsers
in the default-settings.

perhaps, if those browsers are customised
all of the "bells and whistles"
that were designed for microsoft's inter-net explorer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer#Market_adoption_and_usage_share)
will function. :noidea:

blutwölfin (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25501#post25501) brought this phenomenon to my attention,
when i suggested she make use of the spell-checker
at the nordish portal
before posting.

she claimed there was none.

she accused me of photo-shopping the image
of my reply-frame
that i sent via "private message"
(as we jokingly called them
under her administration).

to prove that charge,
she sent an image of her reply-frame.

assuming her honesty
and considering her personality,
i asked if she was "using an off-brand browser". :biggrin:

of course, as part of her "individuation"
she was using an obscure norwegian browser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_(web_browser))

which, back then, did not enjoy all of the benefits
of the world-standard inter-net explorer
when applied to the forum software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBulletin).

Loki
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
This you can do with Opera too, and I guess with firefox too. In Opera you can add your own search and customise engines very easy. If Firefox dont have this option you could just simply search for "keyword wikipedia" for example.

Not quite the same. In Opera you must type the letter "w" before a word in order to Wikipedia search it. In Chrome you don't even have to do it. And in Firefox, there is a separate bar for searches. In Chrome it's all in one.

Vulpix
05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Not quite the same. In Opera you must type the letter "w" before a word in order to Wikipedia search it.

You're joking? :confused:

Vulpix
05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
many of the drop-downs, options and other features
on various web-sites
do not appear/are not offered/do not function

while sampling the other browsers
in the default-settings..

I never use IE. The only good reason for me to use it would be to test a page. Yet all the drop-downs etc work fine in the other browsers I use (Firefox, Opera and Chrome), 99.9% of the time :).

Add improved security, far fewer crashes and higher browsing speed to the mix and IE is clearly the loser :thumbs up.

Loki
05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
You're joking? :confused:

No, I just tried it. Maybe it needs to be customized further, I don't know. :)

Vulpix
05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
No, I just tried it. Maybe it needs to be customized further, I don't know. :)

Opera Wiki search:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9421/operae.jpg

Loki
05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Opera Wiki search:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9421/operae.jpg

Yes I know, I was referring to the main address bar. This is another bar for searches. It's not like that in Google, all-in-one. :)

lei.talk
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Add improved security, far fewer crashes and higher browsing speed to the mix and IE is clearly the loser :thumbs up.these complaints appear regularly on the inter-net,
but,

as far as i can discern
page-changes are instantaneous,

i have never experienced a "crash"
(what ever that is)

and have never experienced a "security issue"
(to my knowledge).

at the nordish portal,
ahnenerbe (http://forums.skadi.net/search.php?searchid=1344672&photoplog_searchinfo=1) provided excellent advice
on computer-security

and regular house-cleaning for one's computer.

he would be a valueable addition
to the apricity membership.

Vulpix
05-12-2009, 12:51 PM
these complaints appear regularly on the inter-net,
but,

as far as i can discern
page-changes are instantaneous,

Lucky you :p!

i have never experienced a "crash"
(what ever that is)
Browser crash = when it freezes and closes down by itself

Surely it must have happened to you sometimes?

and have never experienced a "security issue"
(to my knowledge).

at the nordish portal,
ahnenerbe (http://forums.skadi.net/search.php?searchid=1344672&photoplog_searchinfo=1) provided excellent advice
on computer-security

and regular house-cleaning for one's computer.

he would be a valueable addition
to the apricity membership.If anyone is in touch with him, you know what to do :)...

Ladejarlen
05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Not quite the same. In Opera you must type the letter "w" before a word in order to Wikipedia search it. In Chrome you don't even have to do it. And in Firefox, there is a separate bar for searches. In Chrome it's all in one.

Or you could add wikipedia search engine and use it from the dropdown menu at the upper right, where you can change very quick and easy in which search engine you want to search. But its correct you can also use a letter in the adressbar to search, I usually do this with google... In Opera you also have all the search bars in one, as you say Chrome has.
Where is what I have:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5572/searchmox.jpg

Loki
05-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Or you could add wikipedia search engine and use it from the dropdown menu at the upper right, where you can change very quick and easy in which search engine you want to search. But its correct you can also use a letter in the adressbar to search, I usually do this with google... In Opera you also have all the search bars in one, as you say Chrome has.
Where is what I have:
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5572/searchmox.jpg

Yes I know, but what I mean is that you don't have an extra dropdown on Chrome for searches ... you can do it all from the same address bar. :)

Ladejarlen
05-12-2009, 01:06 PM
If anyone is in touch with him, you know what to do :)...

Stuff like this makes me not want to be a member of this forum.

she was using an obscure norwegian browser

Funny how you say obscure. Opera is one of the most secure, fastest and best browers in the world.

Loki
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM

What do you mean? What is wrong with inviting people? Ahnenerbe was a member of my previous forum Nordish Portal.

Vulpix
05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes I know, but what I mean is that you don't have an extra dropdown on Chrome for searches ... you can do it all from the same address bar. :)

Too lazy for the dropdown ;)? With the dropdown search you can quickly select exactly the specific search engine you wish to use.

Ladejarlen
05-12-2009, 01:08 PM

So can Opera, so where is the difference? I hardly see it is any effort having to type w before you search for wikipedia, or g for google, or i for imdb for example. It really shouldnt be a argument for using a browser over another, imo.

Vulpix
05-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Excuse me :confused:? What did you understand?

Funny how you say obscure. Opera is one of the most secure, fastest and best browers in the world.

:thumb001:

Loki
05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
So can Opera, so where is the difference? I hardly see it is any effort having to type w before you search for wikipedia, or g for google, or i for imdb for example. It really shouldnt be a argument for using a browser over another, imo.

It's not a big thing, I just thought I'd point it out. :)

lei.talk
05-18-2009, 05:11 PM
assuming her honesty
and considering her personality (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25501#post25501),
i asked if she was "using an off-brand browser". :biggrin:

she was using an obscure norwegian browser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_(web_browser))

which, back then, did not enjoy all of the benefits
of the world-standard inter-net explorer
when applied to the forum software (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBulletin).
Funny how you say obscure.
Opera is one of the most secure, fastest and best browers in the world.obscure (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/obscure) as in the sense of arcane (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/arcane).

at that time, an accurate adjective
for a struggling browser
that, only months previous, ran banner-advertisments (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_banner)
for revenue, but, had (that year) graduated
to surviving on google-revenue
thanks to contracting their default search-engine as google (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_search).

even today, several years after the conversation
described in the questioned post,

that browser continues to have a relatively miniscule user-base
as demonstrated by the two pie-charts
offered in the post.

secundus, how many forum-members
would characterise a browser as "one of the...best",
if it did not reveal all of the available forum-options

as recounted in the questioned post?

Manifest Destiny
05-18-2009, 05:40 PM
I just downloaded and installed Safari for Windows. So far I like it better than Opera. And, unlike FireFox, it actually seems to work on Apricity. :thumb001:

Útrám
05-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Firefox 3.0 with Noscript, and occasionally Epiphany.

Beorn
05-20-2009, 12:04 AM
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4614/iluvfirefox.gif

Beorn
06-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I've just updated to Firefox version 3.5 (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html) today and I am loving it.

Osweo
07-01-2009, 12:48 AM
I just get rubbish like in the screenshot. What am I doing wrong? I hate these damned things. IE is familiar to me, and that's enough for me! :p

DarkZarathustra
07-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Firefox, dunno what version. :cool:

Cato
07-01-2009, 02:03 AM
IE 7.0, I think. I really don't care though..

Vulpix
07-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Firefox, dunno what version. :cool:

Help > About

lei.talk
07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
IE 7.0, I think. I really don't care though..is that information not displayed in the signature-image, below.

Guapo
07-01-2009, 07:10 AM
According to ie.talk, using firefox :D

quotablepatella
07-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Firefox, although I still have IE just in case.

Phlegethon
07-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Firefox 3.5

anonymaus
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Firefox 3.5

+1

I ran sunspider on my install before upgrading, and then ran it after for comparison: 3.5 is much faster with js but sfari was much faster than 3.5 (too bad it can't render html properly!)

esaima
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
My old friend Internet Explorer 6.0 ...

The Lawspeaker
11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I use my good friend, Firefox. And when sometimes even Firefox is being a pain I just switch to Safari.

Trencavel
11-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Firefox !

I do css development to earn some cash regularly. I'll be happy to help if any problem comes out !

Cato
11-12-2009, 03:39 AM
IE, I think I said it already but oh well...

Stefan
11-12-2009, 03:40 AM
I have been using Firefox for about 2 years now. When Firefox doesn't do the job, or if I'm using a system with low memory, I use Opera as a backup.

Grey
11-12-2009, 04:13 AM
I like the fact that Opera is the most correct as far as standards-compliance, but many sites just don't work well with Opera, and it lacks an easy alternative to Firefox's AdBlock extension as far as I know. I also used SeaMonkey for a while.

Firefox has been used in my household since it was called Phoenix.

Svipdag
11-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Internet Explorer came with my computer and it's familiar, so I use it.:ohwell:

Jeef
11-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Firefox + Adblock Plus + Noscript.

Rachel
11-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I am an apple girl all the way that even means their software. I think they are more holy then slice bread .. and at first i really thought sliced bread was pretty holy. ;)

Franz
11-15-2009, 01:48 AM
I’ve been using Firefox for five years. I’ve tried Opera, but it was cumbersome, because I use so many keyboard shortcuts which are different and have become engraved into my mind by habit. When I try to something similar which is by habit; it doesn’t work. There are too many extensions I use, so there’s that transition problem. I’ve wanted to try Chrome months ago but never installed it. I use Opera on my mobile phone. A new version came out a week ago for S60 OS.

Eldwin
11-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Firefox with the following addons:

Adblock Plus (No ads.)
DownThemAll! (Download accelerator. The best I've ever found.)
Linkification (Converts text links to clickable ones. Very useful.)
Modify Headers (To fool certain sites into thinking I'm in America so I can stream content.)

Why is Konquerer on the list? It's hardly a full featured browser, and every Linux distribution has Firefox as the default anyway.

Phlegethon
11-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Firefox with the following addons:
DownThemAll! (Download accelerator. The best I've ever found.)

FlashGot combined with Free Download manager is much, much better.

Bard
11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Mozilla firefox with greasemonkey.

Piparskeggr
11-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Mozilla Firefox, Internet Exploder on occasion when site functionality in Firefox is an issue..tried a few others; Firefox has the best functionality for what I do online. I really liked Netscape, but went with the forced change...

Östsvensk
11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Currently using Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5. :)

Rusalka
11-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Internet Explorer but only because my Mozilla's been functioning in what resembles a Valium-induced state as of late.

The Lawspeaker
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
I use my good friend, Firefox. And when sometimes even Firefox is being a pain I just switch to Safari.
I used Google Chrome for a moment but it was crashing all the time so I have deleted Safari and Google Chrome (and I will delete IE) and will start using Firefox 3.6 and Opera 10.10

Daos
02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/funny-graphs-internet-explorer.jpg

Absinthe
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Currently Firefox and Chrome.

I use Firefox as my "main" browser and Chrome for when I need to have two different Yahoo! mail accounts open at the same time, etc.

antonio
02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
At home, I use Chrome, Firefox...and the merry old IE6, mainly to access Microsoft or these fucking sites popping-up windows to advice how bad and insecure it is (these jerks obviously cannot know I'm running Chrome or Firefox concurrently so I can savely access the suspicious places they're talkin about). And this hurts me, for it's like an old relative, maybe updated but always a good person, then here comes a strange to make joke of him in my own fucking face. :mad:

At office, I use what System Administrator -a guy worth tenth part of my computer knowledge- allows the others and me to use: currently IE6 over one o of these goddammed things called Intranets running on a fucking Windows 2000 set up on a bloody encrypted filesystem. :rolleyes:

W. R.
04-03-2010, 06:15 AM
I am using Google Chrome right now. Downloaded a new version of Opera yesterday - it simply sucks! :mad:

poiuytrewq0987
04-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I use Firefox, I don't like IE because it feels way too sluggish compared to Firefox.

Murphy
04-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Generally FireFox, videos stream much better using FireFox in my opinion.

Äike
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox

I now use mostly Mozilla Firefox and Chrome, they're both good.

Psychonaut
04-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Were the data harvesting features that could not be disabled when Chrome first came out ever removed?

Lithium
04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Im using Mozilla Firefox.

Grey
04-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Were the data harvesting features that could not be disabled when Chrome first came out ever removed?

No, but there are a few community builds that fix that.

W. R.
04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I am using Google Chrome right now. Downloaded a new version of Opera yesterday - it simply sucks! :mad:I have reinstalled an older version now. What a relief, really.

Albion
04-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I use Firefox, Ocaasionally Chrome and Opera and Opera Mini on my phone. IE is crap in my opion and I don't like the look and feel of Chrome all that much and Opera is too "nosy" and weird.
I also use my own browsers which I occasionally make.

lei.talk
09-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Everyone "knows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme)" that Chrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS), Firefox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox) and Safari (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safari_(web_browser)) are all way more secure than Internet Explorer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer).

But what's the real story?

To find out, I first looked up Symantec (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symantec)'s twice-yearly Security Threat Report, which yeilded the total numbers of reported vulnerabilities for 2009: Firefox had the most at 169, followed by 94 for Safari, 45 for IE and 41 for Google Chrome. For most recent data, I turned to the United States Computer Emergency Rediness Team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Computer_Emergency_Readiness_Team) (US-CERT), which hosts the National Vulnerability Database, a searchable index of reported computer vulnerabilities. A search of data for a recent three-month period yeilded 51 such vulnerabilities for Safari (including both mobile and desktop versions), 40 for Chrome, 20 for Firefox and 17 for IE.

Such counts alone aren't the best way to measure a browser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser)'s security, however. A browser with 100 security flaws that are patched a day after being discovered is safer than a browser with only one exploit that hasn't been patched for months.

According to Symantec's report, the average window of vulnerability (the time between when the flaw is reported and when it's patched) in 2009 was less than a day for IE and Firefox, 2 days for Google Chrome and a whopping 13 days for Safari.

Clearly, Internat Explorer is doing fairly well. Nevertheless, you should still consider a few important factors before deciding to jump ship back to IE.

Stay updated. The second most common Web-based attack in 2009 exploited an IE security flaw patched way back in 2004 (the 2009 attack targeted unupdated PCs). The latest version of IE may be pretty safe, but ditch any earlier versions you have.

Your browser is only as secure as your plug-ins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_(computing)). Symantec found that Microsoft's ActiveX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveX) plug-in (enabled by default in IE) was the least secure with 134 vulnerabilities, followed by Java SE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Standard_Edition) with 84, Adobe Reader (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Acrobat) with 49, Apple QuickTime (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime) with 27 and Adobe Flash Player (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash_Player) with 23. The moral: be careful at sites that use browser plug-ins.

It's tough to be on top. IE still has the biggest piece of the browser pie, meaning that cybercriminals are more likely to target IE than any other browsers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/07/PC_World_logo.svg/200px-PC_World_logo.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_World_(magazine))

poiuytrewq0987
09-26-2010, 04:11 AM
I disagree about Chrome being a secure browser. One time when I was on my laptop I had decided to visit a forum dedicated to Windows 7 for some help on a certain issue I was having. I was using the Chrome browser at that time, and when I entered that website url then my laptop suddenly got attacked by a virus. A first in my two years of laptop ownership (when I was using Firefox for the first two I never got a virus). I was able to eradicate it. However I learned my lesson and went back to Firefox immediately after.

Moonbird
10-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm like most people here, I use Mozilla Firefox.

Imperivm
10-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I used to run firefox but it crashes all the time (as I have 12+ tabs open normally). So I run Opera instead, it crashes less.

Lithium
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox...

jerney
10-02-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm judging you if you still use IE.. :D

nah, not really, but it reminds me of this funny thing I saw awhile back:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/email_address/1.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/email_address/2.jpg

lei.talk
12-19-2012, 05:40 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Tor-logo-2011-flat.svg/200px-Tor-logo-2011-flat.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)#Hidden_services)

it was a remedy to this problem: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"
my son sought to travel the invisible!

like many members of mensa (http://theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=62245#post62245),
my son and i enjoy das glasperlenspiel (http://theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1197947#post1197947).

after factoring away the psychological problems
that generate self-limiting behaviours,
most intelligent persons develop a benevolent-universe (http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/benevolent_universe_premise.html) sense-of-life (http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/sense_of_life.html)
and realise that health (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18905)/wealth (http://theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29628#post29628)/wisdom (http://theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=220556#post220556)
(the vital ingredients of eudaimonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudaimonia))
are "low-hanging fruit" and easily plucked -

leaving one with much leisure-time
to pursue self-development.

physical and mental exercises
comprise much of that.

my invitation to the glass-bead game
had abided in a cryptography text
in the reference section of a library
for several years before i discovered it,

several more months
before i decoded it

and weeks
for my seemingly blank post-card
to arrive in the designated hotel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_drop).

during the past half-century,
the game has accelerated asymptotically.

even so, the parts i play
are much like the one visible image
in my signature-space: superficial
(a crude reflection of the viewer)

the phyla of the glass-bead gamehttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.png
that are sufficiently challenginghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.png
to entertain my sonhttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.png
are on the far side of that mirror:https://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/u7leimb.png
https://i.imgur.com/ikeLdPC.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Web)

Panopticon
12-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I generally use Opera, but I change from time to time for the sake of change itself. Otherwise, I use Tor as it provides anonimity, and I can use it to access the dark side of the Internet. Tor is rather slow though. Thus my use of Tor is tied to some specific situations only.

bocc
12-22-2012, 07:59 PM
I use firefox although I think that Chrome is the better browser.

EagleAtHeart
12-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I was using Rockmelt. But since they've stopped updating it I've switched to the Yandex browser. It's a Chromium based browser but designed to act like Opera. It even uses Opera Turbo. As with all Chromium based browsers, all Chrome apps in the Google Store are compatible.

Incel King
12-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Mozilla Firefox.

TheMagnificent
12-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Google Chrome. Internet Explorer in case something doesn't work on Chrome.

Welter
12-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Firefox Nightly.

Started using Yandex browser to access specific websites.

Albion
12-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I was using Rockmelt. But since they've stopped updating it I've switched to the Yandex browser. It's a Chromium based browser but designed to act like Opera. It even uses Opera Turbo. As with all Chromium based browsers, all Chrome apps in the Google Store are compatible.

Cool, sounds great. How does it use Opera Turbo though? Wouldn't Opera sue them? I'll see if there's an English version.

Caismeachd
12-22-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been switching around with Chrome and Firefox. I can't stand certain things about google, like it's terrible auto-complete. But I keep coming back to it for convenience sake.

Albion
12-22-2012, 09:51 PM
I've been switching around with Chrome and Firefox. I can't stand certain things about google, like it's terrible auto-complete. But I keep coming back to it for convenience sake.

Why not just turn off auto-complete?

dado
12-22-2012, 09:56 PM
chrome is my main browser...from time to time i use safari and firefox

Albion
12-22-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm trying Yandex now. So far so good. It seems to combine some of the better features of Chrome and Opera. Hopefully it doesn't crash all the time like Opera though. One bad point in the English version - the auto translate asks whether I want English pages translated into Russian and there is no way of changing it other than turning it off. It's only a minor complaint though.

Lemon Kush
01-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Google Chrome.

Roy
01-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Chrome in this moment, used to use Mozilla earlier. Sometimes when i accidentally happen to use IE i feel like i'm using time-back machine ...

Meow
01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Used Firefox, but not got used to Chrome and I love it :)

Twistedmind
01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Who is using Konqueror. KDE and Linux ftw. :D (but I use firefoks)

Mans not hot
01-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Firefox.

lei.talk
02-11-2013, 03:44 AM
dude i am not using chrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome), i use yandex

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Yandex_browser_logo.png/120px-Yandex_browser_logo.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandex_Browser)

Albion
02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
I've converted to Yandex too. The English version has a few annoying bugs such as the automatic translation only being to Russian and only an American English dictionary. On the whole it is good though and the turbo mode reduces bandwidth use and makes pages load much faster, so I prefer it to Chrome now.

Mans not hot
02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
At the moment, I use google chrome which is better because it's faster.

Lemon Kush
02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Whoever still uses Internet Explorer is a noob. :D

archangel
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
mozilla and sometimes chrome

Mazik
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Mozilla and Chrome.
Right now I'm using chrome.

Mans not hot
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Whoever still uses Internet Explorer is a noob. :D
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Lemon Kush
02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

What's so funny? I haven't used Internet Explorer for 4 years.

Snchpnz
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Chrome on the PC, Safari on the ipad.

Mistel
02-11-2013, 01:27 PM
I use firefox. I am sort of anti-Google as far as its products are concerned. I don't like the way everything is synchronised if you have a google account. I used to use Picasa, but I don't anymore, so I wouldn't use Chrome. Firefox is good enough for me :)

Musso
02-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Chrome. Because it's simply the best.

RussiaPrussia
02-14-2013, 07:05 AM
ie, fiferfox, opera, yandex, sea monkeys

RussiaPrussia
02-14-2013, 07:38 AM
apples browser gosh i tried it ounce it didnt even start piece of crap browser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S6WwldUbGs

alfieb
02-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Phone: Opera, Safari, Perfect Browser, 360 Browser
PCs: Firefox, Opera

I don't dislike Microsoft, but I do dislike Google, so I avoid Chrome, and I just think IE sucks.

RussiaPrussia
02-14-2013, 07:52 AM
for me

phone

chrome regular

fiferfox for downloading from rapidshare or other sites because chrome doesnt support on them

pc

yandex and opera standard browsers. Opera is good to download videos to mp4 format on youtube with a certain addon, it also emails you directly at your browser if you get a new email. Its also good for torrents as well. Yandex is the most secure browser it has direct kaspersky protection, its probably the only way to get anything free from kaspersky. Both also have adobe block.

fiferfox, cuz of adons like net videohunter you can download any video but only to flv, therefore its the exact quality.

sea monkey and ie are for certain sites. As even sometimes sites dont work with fiferfox.

archangel
02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
mozilla rules

Sonboy
02-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Google Chrome

Aredhel
02-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Google Chrome

Iroczor
02-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Google chrome

SILNI
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Google is the most easiest to use.

EagleAtHeart
02-15-2013, 09:34 PM

I'm a full time Yandex browser user now. It's the best (Opera built over Chromium, and you can still use the apps from the Chrome store), plus I like supporting emerging Russian technology

Check it out:

http://browser.yandex.com/

Mark
02-15-2013, 09:58 PM
I still prefer Firefox over the others. I am involved in the computer field and am always testing other browsers on multiple platforms.

lei.talk
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
http://www.slimbrowser.net/images/sbr_logo3.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlimBrowser)http://i48.tinypic.com/2h3wu9k.pnghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d0/Chrome_Logo.svg/120px-Chrome_Logo.svg.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome)

2012JD
02-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I use safari or the one in my BB phone

Albion
02-24-2013, 03:38 PM
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlimBrowser"]

With a Trident "engine"? No thanks, it is no better than an IE skin which is essentially what it is. I've made such a browser before, Trident is still awful regardless of whatever facade is used and makes for a poor browser.