PDA

View Full Version : Did Magic Mushrooms Play A Crucial Role in the Evolution of Human Consciousness?

Anglojew
06-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Terence McKenna advocated the exploration of altered states of mind via the ingestion of naturally occurring psychedelic substances. For example, and in particular, as facilitated by the ingestion of high doses of psychedelic mushrooms, and DMT, which he believed was the apotheosis of the psychedelic experience. He spoke of the "jeweled, self-dribbling basketballs" or "self-transforming machine elves" that one encounters in that state.

Although he avoided giving his allegiance to any one interpretation (part of his rejection of monotheism), he was open to the idea of psychedelics as being "trans-dimensional travel"; literally, enabling an individual to encounter what could be ancestors, or spirits of earth. He remained opposed to most forms of organized religion or guru-based forms of spiritual awakening.

Either philosophically or religiously, he expressed admiration for Marshall McLuhan, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Gnostic Christianity, Alfred North Whitehead, and Alchemy. McKenna always regarded the Greek philosopher Heraclitus as his favorite philosopher.

He also expressed admiration for the works of James Joyce (calling Finnegans Wake "the quintessential work of art, or at least work of literature of the 20th century") and Vladimir Nabokov: McKenna once said that he would have become a Nabokov lecturer if he had never encountered psychedelics.

During the final years of his life and career, McKenna became very engaged in the theoretical realm of technology. He has advocated the idea of a technological singularity. In his last recorded public talk, Psychedelics in The Age of Intelligent Machines, he outlined strong ties between psychedelics, computation technology, and humans.

"Stoned Ape" theory of human evolution

In his book Food of the Gods, McKenna proposed that the transformation from humans' early ancestors Homo erectus to the species Homo sapiens mainly had to do with the addition of the mushroom Psilocybe cubensis in its diet - an event which according to his theory took place in about 100,000 BC (this is when he believed that the species diverged from the Homo genus). He based his theory on the main effects, or alleged effects, produced by the mushroom. One of the effects that comes about from the ingestion of low doses, which agrees with one of scientist Roland Fischer's findings from the late 1960s-early 1970s, is it significantly improves the visual acuity of humans - so, theoretically, of other human-like mammals too. According to McKenna, this effect would have definitely proven to be of evolutionary advantage to humans' omnivorous hunter-gatherer ancestors that would have stumbled upon it "accidentally"; as it would make it easier for them to hunt.

In higher doses, McKenna claims, the mushroom acts as a sexual stimulator, which would make it even more beneficial evolutionarily, as it would result in more offspring. At even higher doses, the mushroom would have acted to "dissolve boundaries", which would have promoted community-bonding and group sexual activities that would result in a mixing of genes and therefore greater genetic diversity. Generally McKenna believed that the periodic ingestion of the mushroom would have acted to dissolve the ego in humans before it ever got the chance to grow to destructive proportions. In this context, he likened the ego to a cancerous tumor that can grow uncontrollable and become destructive to its host. In his own words:

Wherever and whenever the ego function began to form, it was akin to a cancerous tumor or a blockage in the energy of the psyche. The use of psychedelic plants in a context of shamanic initiation dissolved - as it dissolves today - the knotted structure of the ego into undifferentiated feeling, what Eastern philosophy calls the Tao.
—Terence McKenna, Food of the Gods

The mushroom, according to McKenna, also gave humans their first truly religious experiences and, as he believed, were the basis for the foundation of all subsequent religions to date. For example, he proposed that the biblical Fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was actually an entheogenic mushroom. Another factor that McKenna talked about was the mushroom's potency to promote linguistic thinking. This would have promoted vocalisation, which in turn would have acted in cleansing the brain (based on a scientific theory that vibrations from speaking cause the precipitation of impurities from the brain to the cerebrospinal fluid), which would further mutate the brain. All these factors according to McKenna were the most important factors that promoted evolution towards the Homo sapiens species. After this transformation took place, the species would have begun moving out of Africa to populate the rest of the planet Later on, this theory by McKenna was given the name "The 'Stoned Ape' Theory of Human Evolution".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna

Further reading;

http://deoxy.org/t_highx.htm

Baluarte
06-19-2013, 11:17 AM
I know this theory quite well. I had a teacher in university who was deep into natural psychedelic drugs.

She taught me about it. McKenna's works are not 100% conclusive, but I'd say there is a good chance that he's right.

Anglojew
06-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I know this theory quite well. I had a teacher in university who was deep into natural psychedelic drugs.

She taught me about it. McKenna's works are not 100% conclusive, but I'd say there is a good chance that he's right.

So do I. It makes sense that something sparked our evolution. Since we have receptors for drugs the implication is we've been taking them since time immemorial.

When the 3000 year old Indo-European "Chinese" Mummies were discovered they had had 28 oz. of marijuana on them for instance. http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com.au/2008/11/caucasian-mummy-in-china-had-28-oz-of.html?m=1

rob211080
07-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Every culture on the planet has a history of using these type of drugs so i would probably say it's more than likely.

Anglojew
07-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Every culture on the planet has a history of using these type of drugs so i would probably say it's more than likely.

Agreed.

Mortimer
07-15-2013, 05:18 AM
i like your signature anglo-jew

Anglojew
07-15-2013, 05:21 AM
i like your signature anglo-jew

Thanks Giggy

highnoblebenlutfi
07-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Wow this might be the holy grail

Anglojew
07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Wow this might be the holy grail

Very true.

What's your background? Lebanese?

Odin
03-03-2018, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdVgQQIiZF0

jackrussell
03-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Evolution is a theory .

Magic Mushrooms grow like wild fire in Fergana Valley .

Kannabis actually means " it is (our) blood and life .

Good old mc kenna indeed .

:D

Mana from heaven , eh ?

Decius
06-17-2019, 10:02 PM
Yes its very possible.

sean
05-02-2021, 02:54 AM
The Stoned Ape Theory is a theory that we evolved from neurogenesis from mushrooms. It's usually pushed by mycologists to argue neurogenesis brought about from mushrooms without regard for the spiritual implications. It's a fact that many psilocybe mushrooms and lion's mane promote neurogenesis, but it is not a proof. It's a theory that explains the possible mechanics of the theory of evolution. Terence McKenna believed it and Paul Stamets and other mycologists push it today.

I don't think that there is solid proof that psychedelics changed the perspective of animals in such a way that some "evolved toward" humanity. It doesn't go with what biologists say. And if hominids did experiment with psychedelics like ergot or mushrooms, it doesn't make them at all a catalyst for evolution the same way that taller trees did not make giraffes taller. It was more that only the taller giraffes could get to the leaves. Think about it this way: for someone to even ponder psychedelics you'd have to have sufficient idle time which I doubt hominids had.

And I don't think it's the only reason for our higher consciousness, but I think it could have played a part. It coincides with us becoming better hunters and eating more meat, which provides more nutrients and makes strategic thinking more of a priority. It then becomes a feedback loop and is what caused our evolution from Homo habilis to Homo erectus.

Prior to being Erectus we gathered over half our meat as scavengers, fending off larger predators long enough for our shitty hunting groups to slice off a few limbs and slink away. The bigger, stronger, and smarter among us survived the predators attacks and contributed to our evolution. We became Erectus, started hunting out own animals and tracking them. Their poop had mushrooms growing on it which enhances visual acuity and hunting senses. Anyone who has taken mushrooms and run around outside knows what I'm talking about. But it's the combination of all these factors.

Terence McKenna often spoke of a theory of human evolution that Eden was a real period in Africa prior to 30,000 years ago, when the African rainforest was first receding into grasslands, and our primitive ancestors started eating Psilocybin mushrooms growing near cow pies on the grasslands. It encouraged ego-dissolving behaviour not normally exhibited in primates, such as orgiastic mating and a lack of direct obvious lineage, leading to groupthink on all matters involving children and resources (which were plenty). As the savannah continued to dissolve into desert and resources grew even scarcer, the mushrooms became rarer, leading to normal ego-driven behaviour again with fathers defending their children and identifiable bloodlines, concepts of property, etc.

If you believed this theory and wanna return to it, you have to understand that it's an all-or-nothing prospect as a species, because the regular ego-driven primates with identity and culture will devour and destroy hippie-ass orgy breeders with no sense of self. It's a neat theory, but there's no going back short of a population-shattering cataclysm.

It's also a lot easier to believe that synesthesia as a side effect of hallucinogenic mushrooms contributed to the early development of language insomuch as sights can be expressed as sounds. I'd say it was actually more of a mutator of culture than biological evolution, but cause and effect of those two are debatable. I'm almost certain the manna described in the Bible that sustained the Israelites in the desert were shrooms.

However, there is essentially no compelling evidence suggesting magical benefits of many medicinal mushrooms. People like to believe in panacea and mushrooms are the next big thing for middle to upper class white folks. Stamets is a great snake oil salesman and makes millions selling dubious pills to desperate old people or people scared of “toxins” and who think they need daily doses of mushroom extracts to function.

Fungi are amazing but I can’t stand when people take on a rampant anthropometric attitude and start thinking mushrooms exist to help them and even anthropomorphize them. It’s just pseudo-religious nonsense and usually involves people with no relevant education and knowledge on the subject besides a thin veneer derived from cherry-picked papers and Facebook-tier infographs and “sources”.