PDA

View Full Version : German 'should be a working language of EU'

Aunt Hilda
06-19-2013, 08:20 PM
German 'should be a working language of EU', says Merkel's party
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10128380/German-should-be-a-working-language-of-EU-says-Merkels-party.html)

German should be an official language of the European Union along with English and French, according to the draft election manifesto of Angela Merkel’s Christian Democrat Union party.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02593/A_sign_in__English_2593779b.jpg
The inferior status of German is a long-standing grievance for Berlin, which points out that it has over 100 million speakers, including German-speaking minorities in Belgium, Denmark, Italy and Poland
“German is the most widely spoken mother tongue in the European Union,” the draft says. “We are committed to strengthening the German language in Europe. Our aim is that it is treated equally with English and French in the European Parliament, Commission and Council.”
The inferior status of German is a long-standing grievance for Berlin, which points out that it has over 100 million speakers, including German-speaking minorities in Belgium, Denmark, Italy and Poland.
The EU currently conducts daily activities such as the midday press briefing in English and French. German is spoken as a mother tongue by 16 per cent of the EU’s 500 million-strong population, followed by Italian and English, both spoken by 13 per cent. French is spoken as a mother tongue by 12 per cent.
A survey carried out for the European Commission last year found that the most widely spoken foreign language is English, spoken by 38 per cent of adults, followed by French and German.
A senior member of Mrs Merkel’s party, Volker Kauder, caused uproar two years ago when he declared: “Suddenly Europe is speaking German”, saying that other nations had now come round to the German view that public spending should be limited.

The CDU’s draft programme also opposes any dismantling of the eurozone. Ahead of an election in which it faces a eurosceptic challenger, Alternative für Deutschland, the draft says: “We want to progress, as far as possible, with all of our EU partners.”
It commits the party to a defence of the single currency, saying that the CDU and its Bavarian sister party the CSU are “the German Europe parties”.
The manifesto opposes a Europe-wide bank deposit guarantee scheme, reflecting German fears that this would leave its taxpayers with the bill for other countries’ mistakes.
The CDU calls for a “pact for competitiveness” in which states pledge to the EU Commission that they will carry out economic reforms. It calls for the commission to be given greater oversight over national budgets.
The draft, due to be formally adopted this weekend, also states that in order to achieve greater mobility in the European labour market, it should be easier to transfer educational qualifications and to move between different social security systems.
In an interview last week, Mrs Merkel said that “mobility” was the answer to high youth unemployment and that young people should be ready to move across the continent to find jobs.
By Jeevan Vasagar,
Berlin5:42PM BST 18 Jun 2013

Hitler would be proud :picard1:

Peikko
06-19-2013, 08:21 PM
What a load of horse shit.

Aunt Hilda
06-19-2013, 08:30 PM

warum? deutsch ist 'ne prima sprache :P

Wolf
06-19-2013, 09:35 PM
“German is the most widely spoken mother tongue in the European Union,” the draft says.

Without doubt!

“We are committed to strengthening the German language in Europe. Our aim is that it is treated equally with English and French in the European Parliament, Commission and Council.”

About time too!

The inferior status of German is a long-standing grievance for Berlin, which points out that it has over 100 million speakers, including German-speaking minorities in Belgium, Denmark, Italy and Poland.
The EU currently conducts daily activities such as the midday press briefing in English and French. German is spoken as a mother tongue by 16 per cent of the EU’s 500 million-strong population, followed by Italian and English, both spoken by 13 per cent. French is spoken as a mother tongue by 12 per cent.

All correct.

A senior member of Mrs Merkel’s party, Volker Kauder, caused uproar two years ago when he declared: “Suddenly Europe is speaking German”, saying that other nations had now come round to the German view that public spending should be limited.

An unfortunate choice of words.

Are you serious?!

What exactly?

Aunt Hilda
06-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Are you serious?!

no. I actually thing he would be disappointed :D

B01AB20
06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
to be real only one offical language is enough and more practical.

which should it be?, if we're 'practical', we know it.

Wolf
06-19-2013, 09:47 PM
to be real only one offical language is enough and more practical.

I quite agree with you.

which should it be?, if we're 'practical', we know it.

German, what else? ;)

Aunt Hilda
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
German, what else? ;)

maybe russian? :rolleyes:

B01AB20
06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
German, what else? ;)

and then they say germans are 'practical' people, :D

Wolf
06-19-2013, 10:14 PM
maybe russian? :rolleyes:

Russia isn't even an EU member state. :rolleyes2:

Methusalem
06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Deutsch ist die Herrensprache.

Methusalem
06-19-2013, 10:22 PM

German is 34566950909393885 trillion times better than English.

Empecinado
06-19-2013, 10:26 PM
German is 34566950909393885 trillion times better than English.

Why?

Manuel
06-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Why?

Everything you say sounds like you're barking orders.

Methusalem
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Why?

BECAUSE!

Wolf
06-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Everything you say sounds like you're barking orders.

:picard1:

Prove it!

Manuel
06-19-2013, 10:34 PM

Proof it!

Prove what? that's what German sounds like to me, Wolf.

B01AB20
06-19-2013, 10:41 PM
it so easy and cheap to throw linguistic-racist attacks against german language... whyyyyyyy? :rolleyes2:

I'm not germanophile at all, but man, that was really unfair.

Wolf
06-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Prove what? that's what German sounds like to me, Wolf.

I'm not sure which kind of German you have in mind, but it would be interesting how you've got this impression.

BTW, that's the right thread to discuss this topic: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/poll.php?pollid=4445&do=showresults

Methusalem
06-19-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure which kind of German you have in mind, but it would be interesting how you got this impression.

Hat sich wohl zu viele Hitlerreden reingezogen. Unser griechischer Freund.;)

Anglojew
06-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Fair enough.

Again, English is the perfect solution being a harmonious blend of Germanic and Romance anyway.

Albion
06-19-2013, 11:21 PM
It's impractical. The majority of Europeans that know a foreign language will know English and I doubt they'll all suddenly switch to German whilst America still dominates the west.

Dombra
06-19-2013, 11:31 PM
German might e nice, I would like to learn it. As long as French never becomes official

Manuel
06-19-2013, 11:36 PM
it so easy and cheap to throw linguistic-racist attacks against german language... whyyyyyyy? :rolleyes2:

I'm not germanophile at all, but man, that was really unfair.

1. I was trolling.
2. Language is not a race so you can't be a racist against language.
3. If what I said was racist, I have many such racist things to say about Greek or Portuguese or Russian.

Anyways, it was not my intention to derail this thread so I will leave it at that. I wasn't aware people were so sensitive about racism in this place (where actually racist and supremacist claims count as "common sense")

Incal
06-20-2013, 04:18 AM
It's impractical. The majority of Europeans that know a foreign language will know English and I doubt they'll all suddenly switch to German whilst America still dominates the west.

This. Plus English is easier to learn than German.

Lemon Kush
06-20-2013, 04:22 AM
EU = 4th Reich!!

Baluarte
06-20-2013, 04:45 AM
German might e nice, I would like to learn it. As long as French never becomes official

You do know that English and French have always been the two official languages since the very beginning right?

Wolf
06-20-2013, 09:25 AM

But French as an official language is more practical?

They don't want to abandon English but rather making German co-official, that's a difference.

Albion
06-20-2013, 11:25 AM
But French as an official language is more practical?

They don't want to abandon English but rather making German co-official, that's a difference.

I didn't read the full article. German and English co-official does make a lot more sense than French and English though, I don't see any problems with it.
There are probably more German than French speakers in the EU and German is of more importance. I guess it's similar to the situation with airmail where it's still marked in French and English- French serves no purpose outside of french speaking countries.

Peikko
06-20-2013, 02:31 PM
What exactly?
Alles

Exactly. English is the number one language in the world.

Wolf
06-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Alles

:rolleyes2:

Exactly. English is the number one language in the world.

Aunt Hilda
06-20-2013, 05:21 PM

waste of time and money

B01AB20
06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
waste of time and money

then it's a perfect project for UE standards ;)

come on les enfants de la patrie!!!

Wolf
06-20-2013, 05:30 PM
waste of time and money

No, just the recognition of reality.

BTW, Germany as the biggest payer would only waste its own money. I think this would be a good investment for a change.

Arend
06-20-2013, 05:32 PM
waste of time and moneyThe European Union in a nutshell

Virtuous
06-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Se il Tedescho sarebbe parlato da tutte le Nazioni EU, perderebbe la sua Germanicita' come l'ha perso l'Inghlese nel' corso dell' espansione della Gran' Brettagnia. Come conseguenza perderebbe anche il suo pregio. Personalmente non mi dispiacerebbe impararlo dato che e una' lingua che mi piace.

B01AB20
06-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Se il Tedescho sarebbe parlato da tutte le Nazioni EU, perderebbe la sua Germanicita' come l'ha perso l'Inghlese nel' corso dell' espansione della Gran' Brettagnia. Come conseguenza perderebbe anche il suo pregio. Personalmente non mi dispiacerebbe impararlo dato che e una' lingua che mi piace.

I've never learnt italian man, but I've understood your post almost perfectly, is this meaningful for something?

latin back to power... :cool:

Virtuous
06-20-2013, 09:03 PM
I've never learnt italian man, but I've understood your post almost perfectly, is this meaningful for something?

latin back to power... :cool:

Quando l'Imperium Europa sara' stabbilito, il Latino sara' la lingua ufficiale ;).

Methusalem
06-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Quando l'Imperium Europa sara' stabbilito, il Latino sara' la lingua ufficiale ;).

LOL I don't need a translator to understand this.:rolleyes:

Aunt Hilda
06-20-2013, 10:29 PM

all 27 will be :)

Incal
06-21-2013, 03:16 AM
I'd prefer Italian over German.

Wolf
06-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I'd prefer Italian over German.

That's not the question.

RussiaPrussia
06-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Obviously German has more native speaker than french its logical that it should be an official language given the fact that germany has also stronger economy as well. In the long run english, german and russian will be the the most spoken languages of europe because these have most native speakers in europe.

Incal
06-22-2013, 04:25 AM
That's not the question.

Rephrasing: It shouldn't be German, should be Italian.

Aunt Hilda
06-22-2013, 04:32 AM
Obviously German has more native speaker than french its logical that it should be an official language given the fact that germany has also stronger economy as well. In the long run english, german and russian will be the the most spoken languages of europe because these have most native speakers in europe.

it already is :coffee:

Wolf
06-22-2013, 09:49 AM
In the long run english, german and russian will be the the most spoken languages of europe because these have most native speakers in europe.

In the long run Arabic and Turkish will be the most spoken languages of Europe because they have the highest birth rates. :rolleyes:

Rephrasing: It shouldn't be German, should be Italian.

it already is :coffee:

But it's not used sufficiently.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Europa/DeutschlandInEuropa/DeutscheSpracheInDerEU_node.html

CrystalMaiden
06-22-2013, 09:50 AM
The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby
English will be the official language of the EU, rather than
German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government
conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has
therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".
In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly,
this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be
dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion
and allow one key less on keyboards.
There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when
the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like
"fotograf" 20% shorter.
In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be
expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are
possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters
which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil
agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.
By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as
replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".
During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords
kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer
kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli
sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and
everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI
COM TRU!
Herr Schmidt

Methusalem
06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
"fotograf" 20% shorter.
COM TRU!
Herr Schmidt

http://images.wikia.com/morph-society-4real/images/a/a9/Bravo_Bravo.gif

RussiaPrussia
06-22-2013, 10:51 AM
In the long run Arabic and Turkish will be the most spoken languages of Europe because they have the highest birth rates. :rolleyes:

they have backwards economy no one will learn it

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.PP.CD/countries/RU-DE-GB-1A-TR?display=graph

Albion
06-22-2013, 11:59 AM
"fotograf" 20% shorter.
COM TRU!
Herr Schmidt

Nooooo!!!! :lol:

antonio
06-23-2013, 09:35 AM

But I think it's rather good because English is the language of the ruthless globalization. A strong Europe needs something more adecuate. I personally would happily exchange my limited English skills and a fair amount of money for a good proeficiency in German or Latin.

Baluarte
06-23-2013, 09:39 AM
But I think it's rather good because English is the language of the ruthless globalization. A strong Europe needs something more adecuate. I personally would happily exchange my limited English skills and a fair amount of money for a good proeficiency in German or Latin.

Latin would be ideal. Tracing the origins of Europe back to Rome, going beyond nationalistic interests and making contact with the Medieval tradition of putting the language of the Church in a preeminent position.

I don't see why German should be it. The Romance world is already suffering under the boot of the Anglos, no need to make it worse and put the Teutons instead.

antonio
06-23-2013, 09:46 AM
I guess it's no so humilliant be under German boot, after all some of our ancestors spoke Gothic not an eccentric Frisian spinoff.

I agree Latin would be ideal, but it forcefully had to be Vulgar one: Classic is way too difficult as I experiment myself when I was 15, and considering I once have an excellent memory, go figure the fate of many of our youth fighting with 5 declinations and 6 cases for each one.

Loki
06-23-2013, 09:51 AM
No way I'm learning that ugly language.

Germanics against High German!

riverman
06-23-2013, 09:53 AM

English is also very forgiving, you can write a sentence in almost any jumbled way and it will mean the same thing.

antonio
06-23-2013, 10:02 AM
English is also very forgiving, you can write a sentence in almost any jumbled way and it will mean the same thing.

I never underestimate the fact is a rather easy language (excluding its dammned Phonetics) as one of the reasons for its global success. Anycase, if Spanish educative system had been provide us with German option additionally to English and French ones, I had probably choose it as foreign language. Current days, they relegated French so all the Spanish school boys have English as a compulsory matter.

Wolf
06-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Latin would be ideal. Tracing the origins of Europe back to Rome,

I thought the origin of Europe was Greece? :confused:

going beyond nationalistic interests and making contact with the Medieval tradition of putting the language of the Church in a preeminent position.

That depends on the Church.

I don't see why German should be it.

Because it has the most native speakers in the EU, for example.

The Romance world is already suffering under the boot of the Anglos, no need to make it worse and put the Teutons instead.

French is already official, so I don't see your problem.

Wrong thread:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?83041-Do-you-regard-German-as-an-ugly-language

BTW, such broad-brush claim needs some more arguments.

What's about Germanic solidarity?

Loki
06-23-2013, 12:56 PM
What's about Germanic solidarity?

Sure ... but the Low German dialects are threatened with extinction, due to the spread of High German.

Graham
06-23-2013, 01:02 PM
English is well set between Germanic & Latin, what makes it a better language for European trade.

antonio
06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Latin (or Greek) neologisms in English (as ubiquitous or more than in Romance languages) dont help at all to master the core language, although, at a later time, it's nice to know you're effortless writing (in punctual aspects) more as a Cambridge scholar than as a Liberian homeless.

Aunt Hilda
06-23-2013, 08:04 PM
French is already official, so I don't see your problem.

it already is....:picard1:

alfieb
06-23-2013, 08:12 PM

lol.

English > German > Swedish > Dogshit > Dutch

Aunt Hilda
06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
lol.

English > German > Swedish > Dogshit > Dutch

:laugh:

Baluarte
06-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Thank God Tuan is banned. Otherwise we'd have another chimpout ahead of us.

Arend
06-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Sure ... but the Low German dialects are threatened with extinction, due to the spread of High German.Schnackst du Platt, Loki ? :p

Thank God Tuan is banned. Otherwise we'd have another chimpout ahead of us.Tuan > Balurate

Baluarte
06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Tuan > Balurate

I demand an explanation.

Wolf
06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Sure ... but the Low German dialects are threatened with extinction, due to the spread of High German.

That saddens me too, but even without the Low German areas (High) German would be largest language of the EU.

Loki
06-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Schnackst du Platt, Loki ? :p

Ek kan die Platduits verstaan met my Afrikaans, dankie :D

Methusalem
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Ek kan die Platduits verstaan met my Afrikaans, dankie :D

Hey I can understand you too lol.

Loki
06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Hey I can understand you too lol.

Germanic pride worldwide :thumb001:

101DT
06-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Germanic pride worldwide :thumb001:

Do you know this funky song? from the good old time......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOlHzdOcCDg

Its not Platt so you wouldnt understand it; its plain Hochdeutsch;

rashka
06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
German 'should be a working language of EU', says Merkel's party
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10128380/German-should-be-a-working-language-of-EU-says-Merkels-party.html)
I am not for Slavic countries joining EU. :) I think the EU is a secret society that plans for the destruction of the Slavic cultures and languages.

Vasconcelos
06-24-2013, 03:30 PM
If you think the main language should be anything other than English you're delusional.

Baluarte
06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Tbh, I'd prefer Russian over German :D

Loki
06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
If you think the main language should be anything other than English you're delusional.

It's true. Even the Chinese are now speaking English. It's the world language of the next century, for sure.

Loki
06-24-2013, 03:33 PM
I think the EU is a secret society that plans for the destruction of the Slavic cultures and languages.

quoted for the lulz :lol:

Gaijin
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I would be okay with German. Although, I would contest.

If we were to have an official language for the EU, that language ought to be an amalgamation of all languages belonging to the EU current zone. It makes no sense for one to over throw another.

The Germans don't even make an effort to speak the language of host countries, while abroad.
I'm a testimonial of this act.

Arend
06-24-2013, 04:00 PM
To cut a long story short, people are actually arguing about this even though they don’t want their countries to be part of the EU. And the usual slander against Germany from the usual suspects. Meh.