PDA

View Full Version : Ugly people are less likely to succeed in the workplace

wvwvw
06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Ugly people are less likely to succeed in the workplace because they bullied by 'cruel and harsh' attractive colleagues

Researchers from Michigan State University discovered that 'unattractive' people are more likely to be bullied in the workplace

The level of attractiveness determined which jobs they were given to do and their chance of promotion
And being 'ugly' played more of a role in how someone is treated than their age or gender

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2344949/Ugly-employees-likely-bullied-cruel-harsh-attractive-colleagues.html#ixzz2Wlh8F0QV

Arathor
06-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I don't understand why this surprises anyone... It's pretty obvious that "ugly" people are less likely to succeed in pretty much anything, because humans are instinctively drawn towards physically attractive people.

Wolf
06-20-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't understand why this surprises anyone... It's pretty obvious that "ugly" people are less likely to succeed in pretty much anything, because humans are instinctively drawn towards physically attractive people.

Because it's contrary to the ideal that "all men are created equal".

Baldur
06-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Because it's contrary to the ideal that "all men are created equal".

Do people still believe in that?

Veneda
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
All CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, CMOs and CSOs I met are more or less ugly however fully successful

Graham
06-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Ha! it's other way round here, the better looking ones, get it worse. Superiority is frowned upon.

Roy
06-21-2013, 12:28 AM
How they drew a line between these which got labeled as ''uglu'' and these ''beautiful''?

edit:
Daily Mail ... ok.

Oneeye
06-21-2013, 12:43 AM
The workers were each asked how often their colleagues 'engaged in cruel behaviour' towards them.

This cruel behaviour included saying hurtful things, acting rudely and making fun of them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2344949/Ugly-employees-likely-bullied-cruel-harsh-attractive-colleagues.html#ixzz2Wo5spOsW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Maybe being ugly is correlated to being butthurt and sensitive or hemorrhoids?

Anglojew
06-21-2013, 02:18 AM
I wouldn't know

iNird
06-21-2013, 02:20 AM
All CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, CMOs and CSOs I met are more or less ugly however fully successful

Your looks can only get you so far.

On average, it definitely helps and will help open doors your uglier and unfit counterparts. But you won't get to the top of management by just looks alone or even fucking your way up. That's why the smart women usually marry one these ugly CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, CMOs and CSOs :D

Anglojew
06-21-2013, 02:44 AM
Your looks can only get you so far.

On average, it definitely helps and will help open doors your uglier and unfit counterparts. But you won't get to the top of management by just looks alone or even fucking your way up. That's why the smart women usually marry one these ugly CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, CMOs and CSOs :D

The CEO of Yahoo is pretty

http://siliconangle.com/files/2012/07/Yahoo-CEO-Marissa-Mayer.jpeg

ABest
06-21-2013, 03:17 AM
Beauty definitely increases the chances for one's success.

In other words, "ugly" people do tend to struggle compared to attractive people. Consequently, a great portion of the fairly successful people in the world are attractive. However, extremely successful people tend to have peculiar features.

Of course, people that are both very attractive and extremely successul do exist. However, I do believe that the majority of geniuses and of innovators are odd-looking.

Finally, unattractiveness is subjective. The closest definition of ugliness is the lack of conventional beauty. What is perceived as conventional beauty is susceptible to change (gradually and to a certain extent), which makes ugliness susceptible to change too, as it is dependent on the definition of conventional beauty.

Oneeye
06-21-2013, 03:18 AM
The CEO of Yahoo is pretty

http://siliconangle.com/files/2012/07/Yahoo-CEO-Marissa-Mayer.jpeg

Successful businesswomen are often very attractive.

Like a Disney film, we presume positive attributes for the aesthetically pleasing.

BEYOND THE HALO EFFECT: Attractiveness and Personality

Our assessment of attractiveness is automatic, and strongly influences how we judge the person on a range of other traits, including personality. In a surprising experiment at the University of Pennsylvania, neuroscientists Ingrid Olson and Christy Marshuetz asked volunteers to judge pre-rated faces, some beautiful and others homely. The judges claimed that they didn't see anything; the faces flashed by too quickly. Yet when coaxed to rate the attractiveness of the faces that they thought they hadn't seen, they were astonishingly accurate. Each face was exposed for 13 milliseconds, well below the threshold of conscious awareness. That's how quickly we judge looks.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201210/whats-in-face

Vesuvian Sky
06-21-2013, 03:21 AM
The workplace is very arbitrary. It doesn't matter if you are smart, loyal, or even self-sacrificing alot of times. There are people who get benefits where I work solely because they are attractive and they barely passed high school.