PDA

View Full Version : Saudis to deport Lebanese who back militants in Syria

Baluarte
06-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Kingdom targets Hezbollah, ally of Bashar Assad

BEIRUT — In the latest sign of the fissures growing in the Arab world over the Syrian civil war, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Beirut has announced that the kingdom plans to deport Lebanese who supported Hezbollah, one of Damascus’ key allies.

The warning comes as the Lebanese Shi’ite militant group takes an increasingly prominent role in the Syrian war, fighting alongside President Bashar Assad’s troops in a key battle earlier this month. Saudi Arabia is a backer of the mostly-Sunni Syrian opposition trying to oust Assad. Assad belongs to the minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shi’ite Islam.

It follows the decision earlier this month by the Gulf Cooperation Council — which includes Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, and the United Arab Emirates — to crack down on Hezbollah members in the Gulf and limit their ‘‘financial and business transactions.’’

Hezbollah says it has no businesses in Gulf nations. However, there are more than half a million Lebanese working in the Gulf Arab nations, including tens of thousands in Saudi Arabia, some of whom have been living in the kingdom for decades. Many of those Lebanese are Shi’ites.

Saudi Arabia will deport ‘‘those who financially support this party,’’ Ambassador Ali Awad Assiri told Lebanon’s Future TV late Wednesday. He did not elaborate on whether other actions could be also considered support for Hezbollah.

‘‘This is a serious decision and will be implemented in detail,’’ Assiri said, without specifying when the deportations would begin. ‘‘Acts are being committed against innocent Syrian people.’’

Lebanon’s Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour told reporters Thursday he was in contact with Gulf officials on the matter. Hezbollah and its allies dominate Lebanon’s current government, which resigned March 22, but continues to run the country’s affairs in a caretaker capacity.

Syria’s 2-year civil war, which has killed nearly 93,000 people, is increasingly pitting Sunni against Shi’ite Muslims and threatening the stability of Syria’s neighbors.

Assad draws his support largely from fellow Alawites as well as other minorities including Christians and Shi’ites. He is backed by Shi’ite Iran, Hezbollah, and Iraqi Shi’ites.

US officials estimate that 5,000 Hezbollah members are fighting alongside Assad’s regime, while thousands of Sunni foreign fighters are also thought to be in Syria — including members of Jabhat al-Nusra, an Al Qaeda affiliate believed to be among the most effective rebel factions. Public opinion in Sunni states is often sympathetic to the rebels.

Fighting between pro- and anti-Syrian groups has broken out in Lebanon, and Hezbollah’s involvement in Syria is deepening tensions at home.

Lebanese President Michel Suleiman, who has been critical of the group recently, said in remarks published Thursday that he is against Hezbollah’s involvement in Syria.

‘‘I told them from the start that I am against this act,’’ he was quoted by al-Safir daily as saying.

In Syria, activists reported violence between government forces and rebels in different parts of the country Thursday, mostly near the capital Damascus and in the northern city of Aleppo, Syria’s largest urban center and its commercial hub.

Syria’s main Western-backed opposition group said 40,000 civilians in Damascus in two areas of the city are suffering food shortages and lack medical aid.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down with Al-Saud!

StonyArabia
06-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Excellent News. Hezbollah should be weakened at all costs. A weak Hezbollah, means a weak Assad and Iran. Once Assad falls, Hezbollah is gone into the dust of the ground, Iranian influence in the Middle East would be weakened which would be in the best interest of the Arab world.

Baluarte
06-22-2013, 07:12 AM
the best interest of NATO and Israel rather.

Wadaad
06-22-2013, 07:24 AM
This is what baluarte wants:

"Hey Saudi Arabia, yes the Shiite Lebanese in your country might be a security threat due to the Syrian Civil war and their support for Hezbollah...but Hezbollah kicks Israeli ASS! Isnt that what matters? So what if the Lebanese fifth columnists might want to sabotage your country or even raise funds for your enemies from within".

Baluarte
06-22-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't expect anything of Al Saud, and certainly wouldn't ask that of them
X.X I'm not that dumb.

I dislike the Gulf Emirates nearly as much as I dislike Israel.

Wadaad
06-22-2013, 07:50 AM
You realize that once Iran gets a nuke...it will Nuke Saudi Arabia (and not Israel as people think?)

Iran will destroy the Al Saud someday, I know it...and it will be the beginning of the end, because the petrodollar will be buried that day. And Sheikhdoms/Emirates, etc...will all become part of an Iranian ruled caliphate under the "Wilayat Al Faqih"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilayat-e_Faqih

Is that what you want?

Baluarte
06-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Indifferent to positive.

I certainly wouldn't weep the death of the Saudis and the Qataris (and all the GCC while we're at it), willing collaborators with the US since the foundation of ther kingdoms, and doublecrossing opportunists that end up being useful for Israel in the end.

I don't particularly want a new caliphate to exist, but regarding Iranian domination: Yes, I prefer it.

Wadaad
06-22-2013, 08:04 AM
I guess you dont have a problem with Islam as much as you have 'the international Jew'.

Both want to conquer and control you, remember that...but in different ways.

CrystalMaiden
06-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Excellent News. Hezbollah should be weakened at all costs. A weak Hezbollah, means a weak Assad and Iran. Once Assad falls, Hezbollah is gone into the dust of the ground, Iranian influence in the Middle East would be weakened which would be in the best interest of the Arab world.

Fucking Jew.

Baluarte
06-22-2013, 08:11 AM
You're right there.

I'm not an Islamophile or naive regarding your religion, but there is something that you and I can agree with: When Islam moves on to invade, it does so openly. And I will always choose an adversary that fights me with his face uncovered to a lying scheming rat that whispers tender words in my ear just to stab me during my sleep.

And it shows who's worse. When the Saracens or the Ottomans were the danger for European civilization, people still had firm Christian values, family principles and were willing to follow the nobility, fight and die freeing the land from the Muslims.

Today we have a corrupted society, where people's highest aspirations is collecting clothing, cars, tourist offers to Fiji and of course, the highest number of lovers you can get.

Quick question: Who killed Christendom? The Jews or the Muslims?
Who destroyed the Monarchy and the Aristocracy? The Jews or the Muslims?
Who forced liberalist capitalism into the West? Who opened the borders for mass immigration? Who concocted the endophobic speech regarding European history?

----

To make a quick comparison, I have absolutely no love for China, and tend to always want its demise at the hands of the Japanese.

Yet, when some mainstream analyst tells me that the industry here is crumbling because "The chinks cheat, the chinks do social dumping, the chinks are disloyal", I can't help to wonder if he really is so blind to not see what is the real cause of the downfall of Europe, or if he is simply another paid rat, making a living by spouting his ideologically-correct speech.

StonyArabia
06-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Fucking Jew.

I am not a Jew, just because I see Hezbollah, Iran, and Assad are harmful to the interest of my people's survival, and want them to be crushed, or weakened is actually a natural thing.

Amun
06-22-2013, 07:54 PM
America fights Islamists in Afghanistan, sieges them in Gaza, kills them in Mali, supports them in Egypt & arms them in Syria.
Can anybody explains wtf is going on here?

Baluarte
06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
America fights Islamists in Afghanistan, siege them in Gaza, kills them in Mali, supports them in Egypt & arm them in Syria.

Governing through chaos. Or to take their original latin motto: Ordo ab chao.

Amun
06-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Governing through chaos. Or to take their original latin motto: Ordo ab chao.

Condoleezza Rice's creative chaos theory is a good example for that

StonyArabia
06-22-2013, 08:06 PM
America fights Islamists in Afghanistan, siege them in Gaza, kills them in Mali, supports them in Egypt & arms them in Syria.

The revolt in Syria is not Islamist at all, though there is some Islamist factions in it. The revolt occurred due to brutal repression of the majority and some minority populations. In fact there is many groups fighting against Assad. The fight almost have no Islamist overtones, but it does certainly have sectarian and tribal ones. This was the doing of Assad himself, if he was truly about equal representation, the situation would not have occurred. As well the tribal population is angry and wants to avenge the loss that occurred during the protest, because Assad forces were in their areas, often killing children just to send the message. The revolt is complex and can not be put in the Islamist lens. The Assadites and their supporters are using the term Islamist like it's a boogeyman in order to take away from the true nature of the revolt. A revolt of the oppressed nothing more and nothing less.

Amun
06-22-2013, 08:21 PM
The revolt in Syria is not Islamist at all, though there is some Islamist factions in it. The revolt occurred due to brutal repression of the majority and some minority populations. In fact there is many groups fighting against Assad. The fight almost have no Islamist overtones, but it does certainly have sectarian and tribal ones. This was the doing of Assad himself, if he was truly about equal representation, the situation would not have occurred. As well the tribal population is angry and wants to avenge the loss that occurred during the protest, because Assad forces were in their areas, often killing children just to send the message. The revolt is complex and can not be put in the Islamist lens. The Assadites and their supporters are using the term Islamist like it's a boogeyman in order to take away from the true nature of the revolt. A revolt of the oppressed nothing more and nothing less.

I think Jabhit e-lNusra plays a huge role among the rebels and they are directly funded by Saudis.
Anyway it seems that there is an intention form the G8 (the group of 8) to support an internal military coup from inside Assad's military leaders.

Baluarte
06-22-2013, 08:42 PM
I think Jabhit e-lNusra plays a huge role among the rebels and they are directly funded by Saudis.
Anyway it seems that there is an intention form the G8 (the group of 8) to support an internal military coup from inside Assad's military leaders.

In every single case when the FSA and Al Nusrah have had differences, the latter always gets the upper hand.

I mean, read the reports:

------------------------

The Guardian reports that large numbers of fighters and even entire units from the Free Syrian Army are defecting en masse to the Al Nusrah Front, al Qaeda's affiliate in Syria. One FSA commander reported that more than 3,000 of the group's fighters have defected to Al Nusrah over the past several months. Read the full article; here is an excerpt:

Illustrating their plight, FSA commanders say that entire units have gone over to al-Nusra while others have lost a quarter or more of their strength to them recently.

"Fighters feel proud to join al-Nusra because that means power and influence," said Abu Ahmed, a former teacher from Deir Hafer who now commands an FSA brigade in the countryside near Aleppo. "Al-Nusra fighters rarely withdraw for shortage of ammunition or fighters and they leave their target only after liberating it," he added. "They compete to carry out martyrdom [suicide] operations."

Abu Ahmed and others say the FSA has lost fighters to al-Nusra in Aleppo, Hama, Idlib and Deir al-Zor and the Damascus region. Ala'a al-Basha, commander of the Sayyida Aisha brigade, warned the FSA chief of staff, General Salim Idriss, about the issue last month. Basha said 3,000 FSA men have joined al-Nusra in the last few months, mainly because of a lack of weapons and ammunition. FSA fighters in the Banias area were threatening to leave because they did not have the firepower to stop the massacre in Bayda, he said.

The FSA's Ahrar al-Shimal brigade joined al-Nusra en masse while the Sufiyan al-Thawri brigade in Idlib lost 65 of its fighters to al-Nusra a few months ago for lack of weapons. According to one estimate the FSA has lost a quarter of all its fighters.

Al-Nusra has members serving undercover with FSA units so they can spot potential recruits, according to Abu Hassan of the FSA's al-Tawhid Lions brigade.

Ideology is another powerful factor. "Fighters are heading to al-Nusra because of its Islamic doctrine, sincerity, good funding and advanced weapons," said Abu Islam of the FSA's al-Tawhid brigade in Aleppo. "My colleague who was fighting with the FSA's Ahrar Suriya asked me: 'I'm fighting with Ahrar Suriya brigade, but I want to know if I get killed in a battle, am I going to be considered as a martyr or not?' It did not take him long to quit FSA and join al-Nusra. He asked for a sniper rifle and got one immediately."

Keep in mind that earlier this year, the US government estimated that the Al Nusrah Front had more than 10,000 fighters in its ranks.

Despite the growing popularity of the Al Nusrah Front and mass defections of Free Syrian Army fighters and units to Al Nusrah, as well as top FSA leaders expressing their support for the al Qaeda group, the US government seems determined to fund the FSA and the umbrella Syrian Opposition Council, whose leader opposed the US's designation of Al Nusrah as a terrorist group. With mass defections of FSA forces to Al Nusrah, there is no better way to ensure that US funds and weapons will fall into al Qaeda's hands.

--------------------------------------

Even for those people in the West that naively support the rebellion, it's worth asking: What would happen after Assad was overthrown? Will a thousand strong jihadist militia put down their weapons and say: "Oh ok, now we help to build a Western style democracy".

Please....

Amun
06-22-2013, 08:55 PM
^^ Good article, but i still think that USA funds Jabhit El-nusra indirectly through Saudis. They did that with Alqeda in Afghanistan and they will do again in Syria

StonyArabia
06-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Yes there is, but at the end of the day the revolt has many factions, and the goal is to end to Assad. Assad is now in a ship in the sea. This in itself tells that Assad knows that he is losing. This why Iran and Hezbollah keep pumping up Men. It does not matter who Jabit El-Nursa or even their ideology, as long they are within the rebel factions that is against Assad. Chaos comes from revolt, and it can be cooled down afterwards. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, and Jordan all have stake in Assad losing power, because this means Iran's influence on the Middle East has ended, and Hezbollah has gone to dust which is one of the main goal of many Syrian Sunnis, and the Syrian Desert tribes.

Philo
06-23-2013, 09:57 AM

I would not go that far to say that once Assad falls Hezoballah will follow. But yes, it is true that if the Alawites are weakened in Syria, Hezoballah will also be weakened.

You realize that once Iran gets a nuke...it will Nuke Saudi Arabia (and not Israel as people think?)

Iran will destroy the Al Saud someday, I know it...and it will be the beginning of the end, because the petrodollar will be buried that day. And Sheikhdoms/Emirates, etc...will all become part of an Iranian ruled caliphate under the "Wilayat Al Faqih"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilayat-e_Faqih
Is that what you want?
Iran will probably not nuke Israel because if they do it's mutual annhilation assured - Israel will nuke Iran back and probaobly take down the whole ME.
While if they nuke Sauds, they are not very threatened by nukes, only by possible USA intervention, and I say possible because US leaders probably won't have the balls to go into a war with Iran.
And most importantly, they hate Saudi/Sunnis more than they hate Israel.

BS. Shia vs Sunna. It's that simple. No need to complexify it. Unless of course you have an agenda:rolleyes:

Amun
06-23-2013, 10:09 AM
I think there is a possibility that Assad's and Alawite minority form a small state, although i am not sure for how long it will stand
http://www.shamlife.com/photo//thawra/lattakia-50e547b25ab74.jpg
Yellow color represents the possible location of the Alwaite state.

Baluarte
06-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Still doesn't take into account the Druzes or the Shi'a Muslims, or the Christians though :S

Problem is, if the rebels were to win, Syria would follow the example of Lybia, and quickly degenerate into tribal war, with recurrent episodes of ethnic cleansing and a high chance of imposed shariah law.

Wadaad
06-23-2013, 10:12 AM
An Alawite state would be more legitimate than Lebanon, a fake colonialist entity

Amun
06-23-2013, 10:18 AM
An Alawite state would be more legitimate than Lebanon, a fake colonialist entity

But for how long an Alawite state would stand?
Unless it has the support of USA for the sake of Alawite minority that it deemed to be exposed to ethnic cleansing, if the rebels finished Assad and his troops.

ariel
06-23-2013, 10:21 AM
But for how long an Alawite state would stand?
Unless it has the support of USA for the sake of Alawite minority that it deemed to be exposed to ethnic cleansing, if the rebels finished Assad and his troops.

its too soon to speak about this, assad have the supporting of 70 % of the syrian population.

Amun
06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
its too soon to speak about this, assad have the supporting of 70 % of the syrian population.

I know that, but this support won't do anything against American support for the rebels.

ariel
06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I know that, but this support won't do anything against American support for the rebels.

assad have a massive support of russia iran hizbollah and shiite troops from iraq, he not alone.

StonyArabia
06-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I think there is a possibility that Assad's and Alawite minority form a small state, although i am not sure for how long it will stand
http://www.shamlife.com/photo//thawra/lattakia-50e547b25ab74.jpg
Yellow color represents the possible location of the Alwaite state.

The thing it will never happen, and if it does, then Southern Syria should be ceded to Jordan, just like Western Iraq, and throw a portion of Northern Saudi Arabia. This new state would the most ideal for the Syrian Desert tribes. Jordan already claims Western Iraq as it's own region, and there is no much conflict, and the tribes there have shared families, culture, history, and traditions. The same is true of Southern Syria and Northern Saudi Arabia.

Not at all just 20% of the population support the the Assadites.

Steven
06-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Fucking Jew.

Who do you support? Assad or FSA?

Baluarte
06-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Not at all just 20% of the population support the the Assadites.

Source?

ariel
06-24-2013, 05:37 AM
Source?

he have no source, its only his fantasy...

Baluarte
06-24-2013, 07:30 AM
http://www.radianceweekly.com/364/10822/social-justice--vs-maoists-violence/2013-06-23/muslim-world/story-detail/hezbollah-supporters-to-be-thrown-out-of-gcc-countries.html

HEZBOLLAH SUPPORTERS TO BE THROWN OUT OF GCC COUNTRIES

Members of Lebanon’s Hezbollah who are residing in Gulf Cooperation Council states will pay the price for the Shiite movement’s military role in Syria against freedom fighters. A GCC statement, citing a ministerial council decision, said the measures will affect Hezbollah members’ “residency permits, and financial and commercial transactions.” It urged the Lebanese government to “assume its responsibilities toward the behaviour of Hezbollah and its illegal and inhumane practices in Syria and the region.”

The six-member bloc strongly condemned the flagrant intervention of Hezbollah in Syria and its participation in shedding the blood of Syrian people. The statement came after Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi followed by the Saudi Cabinet condemned Hezbollah’s “blatant intervention” in the Syrian crisis.

------------------------------------------------------

Good collaboration from the GCC.