PDA

View Full Version : Pets: Do you have a specific gender preference?

Kazimiera
06-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Do you prefer to have male or female animals as pets?

I prefer female animals because they are more affectionate, less bouncy and have a gentleness about them which males don't have.

I have noticed this in animals around me like cats, dogs and even birds.

Albion
06-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Male animals because female ones are boring. With dogs I've found that the female ones are quite lazy and will easily sleep all day, whilst the male dogs I've had have always wanted to burn off energy.
The current dogs I have, one is male and the other female, Labradors. They have a lovely temperament, but the bitch doesn't care to do much whereas the dog mithers me to take him long walks in the countryside where he goes and explores, runs about and unsuccessfully chases rabbits. The dog is never short of energy and is more intelligent than the bitch, he'll respond to facial and hand expressions as well as pitch of voice like a normal dog. The bitch only responds to tone of voice and isn't nearly as bright.

With cats, I've found the female ones to be more moody than the male ones. The wildest cat I ever had was female whilst the most docile was male.

Other animals -

Song birds - I prefer males - they sing, they have a cheeky personality and nice colour.

Chickens - not bothered. Males were less trusting though, hens are easier to tame. Cockerels watch over the hens, so I guess that's why.

Rabbits - Females strangely are the ones that fight more. Males will get bad habits like biting easier though.

Horses - females can be moody and stubborn. Males - stallions are like a larger version of my dog - excitable and full of energy, but generally a nice temperament. Will easily jump a fence to get at the mares though. Geldings settle down and go dopey and docile, but easier to handle than either mares or stallions.

Cattle - Cows are easier to be around, but some breeds such as Herefords have quite calm bulls, but not all. Cows will follow a dog or unfamiliar human around a field out of curiosity.

Goats - I only ever had a female one, a lovely animal but she didn't like women. :D Rammed any woman that went near her, strange.

Those are some of the animals I have first hand experience of. Overall I prefer male animals, we can relate more and they're not moody like women. :D

Kazimiera
06-21-2013, 10:38 PM
I think I like females because they are naturally less bouncy, which seems to be the quality you like in the males.

My mom had female dogs for years and years, and then she got a male. You could feel that his "vibe" was totally different. And always ready to play and actively sought attention. The females would be happy with the attention given to them, whilst the male was literally all over you demanding it. Very cute but I found it quite exhausting. :)

I had a female lovebird and a male. And she had a very different personality to him. Was tamer and liked to cuddle, whereas he was always on the warpath.

The cat, I like her BECAUSE she is moody. She is never the same. Some days she enjoys her own company, other days she is extremely needy and clings. I like her unpredictability. But she is gentle. Toms have a certain "edge". I can't describe it in words, but they are different. :)

Annihilus
06-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Females more independent but wild, males more loyal but playful. Gotta have'em both:)

ABest
06-21-2013, 10:50 PM
I prefer male dogs because they are more energetic and female cats because they are calmer and more affectionate. :)

Annihilus
06-21-2013, 10:52 PM
male cats are far more affectionate

Albion
06-21-2013, 11:03 PM
My mom had female dogs for years and years, and then she got a male. You could feel that his "vibe" was totally different. And always ready to play and actively sought attention. The females would be happy with the attention given to them, whilst the male was literally all over you demanding it. Very cute but I found it quite exhausting. :)

Yeah, that's it. I prefer male dogs though, they do settle down if you tell them.

I had a female lovebird and a male. And she had a very different personality to him. Was tamer and liked to cuddle, whereas he was always on the warpath.

Ugh, hate the things. They'd wake me up early in the morning with their ear piercing shrieks. Sold them and got Zebra finches and Canaries instead. Zebra finches are sweet, they make a cute beeping noise whilst Canaries will do a nice melody.

Permafrost
06-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Song birds - I prefer males - they sing, they have a cheeky personality and nice colour.

That is actually nasty. My neighbours had a... um well something like a grey cockatiel, and everytime someone would visit her if the bird wasn't caged he would fly toward that person trying to bite him. At times I wished I could just smack him one... also, he was loud as hell. Like ear-piercing loud, especially during the morn and evening.

As for me, I used to be a proud owner of a male Irish Setter. The thing is that he was quite horny, sometimes he'd jump on my friend when he came over... he even tried humping him once :D

Now I have a female dog, best companion I could wish for :)

Albion
06-21-2013, 11:25 PM
That is actually nasty. My neighbours had a... um well something like a grey cockatiel, and everytime someone would visit her if the bird wasn't caged he would fly toward that person trying to bite him. At times I wished I could just smack him one... also, he was loud as hell. Like ear-piercing loud, especially during the morn and evening.

As for me, I used to be a proud owner of a male Irish Setter. The thing is that he was quite horny, sometimes he'd jump on my friend when he came over... he even tried humping him once :D

Now I have a female dog, best companion I could wish for :)

Haha, well I found male canaries to be pleasant anyway. Agreed on dogs though, I think of mine like another brother. :)

Permafrost
06-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Btw, you said your male dog was more intelligent than the bitch? It was the reverse in my case :) I had an Irish setter bitch and a male. The bitch was infinitely times sharper. She would nick food like cakes and sausages from my neighbours, without them even noticing it. Once I observed her stealing from a German shepher... she'd play around him, entertaining him, and when he got distracted enough... his bone was gone! :D He'd then bark like hell but it was too late :D A terrific hunting dog as well, would always lift right paw once she'd hear the slightest animal sound in the woods :)

As for the male... well, if I take him into the wilds, I must watch over him so he doesn't get los :)

Although this might well be a lineage things.. the bitch was from a 'royal dinasty' of Wendover Irish setters, I was perhaps the only owner in the area of such specimen :)

Empecinado
06-21-2013, 11:58 PM
I have a reptile and I chose female because males when become adults become aggressive and very difficult to manipulate. Females are easier to get used to humans and are not aggressive.

Albion
06-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Btw, you said your male dog was more intelligent than the bitch? It was the reverse in my case :) I had an Irish setter bitch and a male. The bitch was infinitely times sharper. She would nick food like cakes and sausages from my neighbours, without them even noticing it. Once I observed her stealing from a German shepher... she'd play around him, entertaining him, and when he got distracted enough... his bone was gone! :D He'd then bark like hell but it was too late :D A terrific hunting dog as well, would always lift right paw once she'd hear the slightest animal sound in the woods :)

As for the male... well, if I take him into the wilds, I must watch over him so he doesn't get los :)

Although this might well be a lineage things.. the bitch was from a 'royal dinasty' of Wendover Irish setters, I was perhaps the only owner in the area of such specimen :)

:lol:

Well out of my two labradors, the bitch has something else in her, she doesn't look pure lab. Might be a boxer cross, boxers are known as a dopey and stupid, if affectionate dog.

Veneda
06-22-2013, 12:21 AM
I had a male Rough Collie as a child. He protected me during my childhood and he behaved as a true shepherd dog. He died at the age of twelve. My second animal was a she cat. She has never become a polite home kitten, what gave her a lot of charm. I that case sex of animal doesn't matter. The most important is a unique character.

Moonbird
06-23-2013, 12:51 PM
When it comes to rabbits, cats, dogs and horses I've always prefered boy animals. I don't really know why.

Frosty
07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Sex never mattered.By chance,all my cats are female.