PDA

View Full Version : Two Subjects regarding differentiation between Atlanto-Med and Small/IberoInsular-Med types

ETKearne
06-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi, everyone. You may remember me from about a year ago when I posted semi-regularly. I also was a regular on many of the past Physical Anthropology/ Classification boards for many years in the past. I am not as busy now, so I decided to stop back in to see what new and interesting topics have been brought up.

I consider myself pretty good at making classifications, although I don't do it much anymore on the boards. One quandary I have always had was regarding the distinctive differences between the Atlanto-Med and Small-Med types (or any of the dozens of names meaning the same thing: Atlanto=Robust, Small=Gracile). I am well aware of the proper differences between the types as well as the hypothesized geographical distribution of them.

However, there does seem to be some ambiguity between whether to label a subject as Atlanto-Med or Small-Med when that subject is not an "exemplar" of either type. So perhaps we could come to some conclusions as to what the best "distinguishing characteristics" between the two are in individuals who don't clearly exemplify either (instead of just reverting to the claim that they are mixed between both sub-types). I have some ideas of what these features are, and in some cases, they are very subtle features. However, I want to see what others here think as well before I chime in. It would be great if we all agreed to an extent.

Second: On the subject of the distribution of Mediterranid types in the British Isles, many folks take the de-facto stance that most, if not all Med influence in the Isles is "Atlanto-Med", and that means that "Atlantid Spectrum" types would obviously be "Atlanto-Med + [some subtype] Nordic". However, I have always been very skeptical of this. For one, some authors, including everyone's favorite Carlton Coon, clearly describe a Small Med presence in the Isles.

And secondly (and perhaps the reason this fascinates me so much), whenever a Mediterranid phenotype has presented strongly in an individual in either side of my family, it usually would better be objectively described as the Small/Gracile type. However, given the almost exclusively British Isles ancestry in my family, this would challenge the view of some people making de facto claims about the Atlanto & Small distribution. Even in myself (I need to get a recent photo of myself soon...), although I am clearly a mix of Med and Alpinid (or somewhat reduced but not depigmented UP stock) elements, the Med element seems to match the Small med phenotype. In fact, I resemble, quite strongly, some of the examples of the small med type in various plates in anthropology books (mainly of subjects from Spain or France).

Hopefully, a better collection of Y-DNA and mtDNA from historical specimens can shed light on this to some, speculative, degree. Perhaps there is some relevant hypotheses I am not aware of. If you know of any works, please cite them or link to them.

Again, this is rather speculative by its nature, so don't be afraid to lay out any untested hypotheses. And, of course, photos are highly desirable.

riverman
06-22-2013, 08:39 PM
IMO many people say 'atlanto-med' when they should just be saying 'med', west-med, or south med. Atlanto med is mostly found in the Isles and sometimes in Italy, etc. It isn't ,however, the "common" type in med places like Iberia etc.

ETKearne
06-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Yes. I also get that feeling. The "classic" Atlanto-Mediterranid is supposed to exhibit a few obvious differentiating traits from the general Small/Gracile Med population. Sometimes I feel, also, that people tend to label Meds with lighter pigmentation as Atlanto-Meds, even when there is no reason to do so. Note, that I am not saying that everyone does this, or even a majority. I just have noticed this in some people's classifications throughout the many years I have been in these webforums.

I would like to hear some more opinions on this issue, as well as any "tell-tale" signs that an individual is of the Atlanto-Med subtype. Obviously, this is simple if one were to have the subject present and posess measuring equipment, but in real life that is unrealistic. And, of course, most classification threads here just involve a couple of face-on photos, so the marker of strong long-headedness and dolich. cannot be really ascertained.

Sikeliot
06-24-2013, 01:30 AM
It's simple. Atlanto-Med is simply a Gracile Med with Atlantid influence, which makes them bigger boned in facial structure.