PDA

View Full Version : About Baluarte post on Portuguese exportantions to the former economies

Catrau
06-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Cash-rich Angola and Brazil are buying up Portuguese exports and helping prop up the former colonial master during its financial woes.

OPORTO, PORTUGAL
Portugal, Western Europe's poorest country in per capita terms, is now getting from former colonies like Angola and Brazil what amounts to a lifeline for its flat-lining economy.

Awash with cash and in much better shape than Portugal, oil-rich Angola and emerging giant Brazil are investing heavily here, increasing imports of Portuguese products, and welcoming companies and unemployed professional immigrants from their former colonial master.

It's hard to quantify the real impact of the help Portugal is getting from its former colonies, including four other African nations including Mozambique and Cape Verde. But experts and officials agree that without new flows from old colonies, the current protracted and grueling economic crisis could well be unbearable.

Lisbon in recent years has received a $102 billion bailout from the European Union, the European Central Bank, and International Monetary Fund, which imposed a draconian calendar of public cuts that has brought the country to the brink in the ongoing eurocrisis.

That partly explains why a new post-colonial dynamic is being noticed: Portuguese exports in 2012 soared and now account for nearly 40 percent of the country's economy, from less than 30 percent in 2009. The country turned a trade surplus for the first time in decades, also the result of plummeting imports.

No other European country is so economically dependent on its former colonies as Portugal, says Alex Vines, an expert on Portugal in London's Chatham House.

To be sure, Portugal's main trading partners are still its European partners, which buy more than 70 percent of its goods. But purchases from the former colonies are quickly increasing based on their emerging economic muscle.

Here in Oporto, the country's industrial hub and second biggest urban center, the port has seen its activity increase annually, especially via the export of wine and petrochemicals. And although the crisis is noticeable, experts say it would be a lot more so without its export markets.

One in five bottles of exported Portuguese wine, much of which is sent through Oporto, is consumed in Angola, the single biggest destination. Portugal is the second biggest source of imports for Angola, from bottled water to cars. In turn Angola is the fourth biggest export destination for Portugal.

Angolans and Brazilians have also been buying up real estate, helping to blunt the construction bust and to lift property values. Investors from its former colonies have also bought stakes in some of the country's largest publicly listed companies in the past few years: mostly in banks, telecommunications, cement, and energy.

Equal to roughly 5 percent of the total capitalization of companies trading in the Portuguese stock exchange, the investments by both Angola and Brazil are worth some 5.3 billion euros, says Mr. Vines.

In fact, the prime minister of Portugal, Pedro Passos Coelho, who grew up in Angola before it won its independence, recently advised his country's jobless teachers to move to former colonies to seek work. Between 120,000 to 200,000 Portuguese have indeed moved to Angola, making them the second largest foreign population after Chinese.

"It’s a special relations, a strategic one, even if a little prickly at times," says Vines.

For Brazil, Portugal is just another investment opportunity; but close cultural and political ties are driving economic exchange.

The financial muscle of its former colonies is now critical for Portugal's economy, which will contract in 2013 for a third straight year, by 2.4 percent. The government says it expects a return to growth in 2014, but European leaders have been saying this steadily for several years when it has not proven true – and most forecasts agree that is optimistic and unlikely. Meanwhile, unemployment continues to rise and is approaching 18 percent.

And while the help from former colonies goes mostly unnoticed as a result of the unprecedented economic pain, "the reality is that Portugal needs investment because, its economy is uncompetitive," Vines says.

Some of the investment has also been criticized, especially from Angola. The family of the African country's ruler is behind much of the investment, including influential stakes in media companies, strategic banks, and energy companies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems you guys have a good case of Lusophone solidarity :)

I'm sorry but this is a very strict view of this issue and I’m avoiding to say “stupid and personal view”. Any article that starts with "... the poorest nation in western Europe... " always makes me think. If he wrote "of Europe" he couldn't write it, in that case he would have to place us in the middle of the scale. I can't understand why people write this way. It's for make them feel better or for making us feel worst. I bet nobody ever saw an article starting as "England, the poorest per capita country among the northwest of Europe..." [1].
Instead of that he could have written that today the Portuguese exporting economy has a better ratio (39%) than England (32%), Spain (30%), Italy (28%), France (27%) just to name a few Western European Countries [2].
The term “old master” could also being avoided, it looks like this was written by some mind diseased person.
The low salaries economy is a stupid strategy imposed by some economic agents here but that salary difference is far from being the same in terms of quality of life (we have to forget the current situation that we all hope will be temporary, many people had temporary salary cuts of up to 20-22% in 2012). So stop calling us poor because we aren't. Being poor is a different thing. I see this as a provocation, as was a provocation calling some countries as PIIGS and GIPSI [3]. Stop reproducing negative public perceptions and this people should look at their own backyard but with this quality of journalism, the only thing we can do is “forgive them because they can’t know”.

Anyway:
- our bailout totalized 78b€ and not 102b€, that's practically 25% less (!!)
- our exportations rose to everywhere except for the EU ,everybody can understand the reasons.
- in terms of rise, exportations to China rose 130% but it isn't important, china doesn't come in the top ten.
- Angola absorbs some 90% of our exportations to Africa but that isn't new
- Angola come only 6th as the destination of our exportations [4]
- Brazil comes only 10th with 2,8% (!!) of our exportations [4]
- etc.

I have low patient for this kind of articles. I could write better than that and I'm not a journalist.

[1] http://www.indexmundi.com/map/?l=pt&r=eu&v=67

[2] http://sol.sapo.pt/inicio/Economia/Interior.aspx?content_id=66449

[3] http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/12/201212392653337846.html

[4] http://www.exittalks.pt/exportacoes.pdf

Baluarte
06-23-2013, 10:57 AM
why couldn't you simply reply on the same thread? :S

Btw, I didn't write it myself, I just linked the article.

Catrau
06-23-2013, 11:06 AM
We know you didn't wrote it yourself but you should have posted the source.
I didn't reply on the same thread because I expressly wanted to give it the visibility it wouldn’t have as a reply.

Lusos
06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Also,lets not forget that the "Old master" bailed out Brazil in the Sixties(Salazar era).

And the African ex Colonies have been "Bailed out"by the Old Master since ever.

Angola does not have much money. Jose Eduardo Dos Santos and his Family have It all.

And If they buy It's not a problem.In England most of the Business Is foreign owned.The City alone is Arab and Jew owned,Even the Football Clubs are Arab owned.

Catrau
06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Also,lets not forget that the "Old master" bailed out Brazil in the Sixties(Salazar era).

I din't knew that. How is it possible to bailout and economy 6 times bigger?? We had problems in those days too.

Heart of Oak
06-23-2013, 11:19 AM

And the African ex Colonies have been "Bailed out"by the Old Master since ever.

Angola does not have much money. Jose Eduardo Dos Santos and his Family have It all.

And If they buy It's not a problem.In England most of the Business Is foreign owned.The City alone is Arab and Jew owned,Even the Football Clubs are Arab owned.

I would like to know where you have found these facts you have flippantly thrown around about England(your betters in oh so many ways not just football) as they are unfounded...

Lusos
06-23-2013, 11:23 AM
I din't knew that. How is it possible to bailout and economy 6 times bigger?? We had problems in those days too.

We have lots of problems today as before.And as before lot's of Gold as well.

Regarding Brazil.The IMF got In Brazil at Portugal's request.And Portugal also gave something like 2 Billions or something.

You should know better.Nothing from the Salazar era Is supposed to be good.

Lusos
06-23-2013, 11:24 AM
I would like to know where you have found these facts you have flippantly thrown around about England(your betters in oh so many ways not just football) as they are unfounded...

I Work for the MOJ for almost 10 Years.

And no one criticised anyone.

antonio
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM

Capitalism is a fucking joke: they and their Cuban allies didnt want being a whole Portugueses property and fight agains it...to finally end into the hands of a single Lusitanized native.

Vasconcelos
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
JES is one of the most corrupt persons you'll ever find in the world. He even had the nerve to say, in his first interview in over one decade, that the major problem of Angola is corruption...like he doesn't have anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

His sweet daughter is the richest person in Angola, yet never did anything relevant in her whole life other than exploiting the system with the aid of her loving father.

antonio
06-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Indeed, once he ends up mimetized with the State, corruption of the nationals if a big problem for him/it. :D

Bobby Six Killer
06-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Despite of, Portugal is very quite in technologic equipment. The best Automatic Press is made in Portugal: San Roque.

http://www.ryonetblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sRoque-BBQ.png

Even better than American and German Equipment, IMO.

Vasconcelos
06-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Portugal has great technological capacities and know how for it's size, but not nearly enough money to invest on exploring it. In the end we export people instead of technology or products. And that's how it'll be for the next decade or so.

Hopefully whoever leaves will return home when things get better and use their new experience on developing the economy even further....although, truth be told, that will not be the norm - most won't return.

antonio
06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Hopefully whoever leaves will return home when things get better and use their new experience on developing the economy even further....although, truth be told, that will not be the norm - most won't return.

You're realist on it. Spain (being more efficient in the scale-oriented economy of today) faces a similar fate and I seriously doubt many of expatriated young Spaniards, for sure not the elites of the exodus, come back someday to bet their money or they lives on this thieves' cave again.

Vasconcelos
06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
I seriously doubt many of expatriated young Spaniards, for sure not the elites of the exodus, come back someday to bet their money or they lives on this thieves' cave again.

Yea, there's really not much hope for things to change here. Unfortunetly I think the only way we'd be able to kick the scum out is in a violet way - protests and voting won't get us anywhere, the "elites" just don't care and will not seat out on their own will.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/5979/ldt6.jpg

Bobby Six Killer
06-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Honestly im shocked about this company inventiveness. Foil and Flock process was manual process. I had the chance to use one and i just fell in love with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzXfhY0dMrs

Catrau
06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
His sweet daughter is the richest person in Angola, yet never did anything relevant in her whole life other than exploiting the system with the aid of her loving father.

I read that she is the wealthiest woman in whole Africa.

And that's how it'll be for the next decade or so.

This is my worst fear, something has got to change quickly because if northern Europe persists in scavenging our dead bodies, they will face the same fate. Solidarity where is it? I don’t want northern money, I want conditions to step out of the spiral.
I sincerely hope that we have some good news by the end of this year and more important, I hope to keep my job, otherwise things will become really nasty for me too. I don’t want to go anywhere to work. Shit, I get mad only for thinking about it.

antonio
06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I sincerely hope that we have some good news by the end of this year and more important, I hope to keep my job, otherwise things will become really nasty for me too. I don’t want to go anywhere to work. Shit, I get mad only for thinking about it.

Put yourself in the worst. What politicians are doing is simply trying to avoid a fast collapse of our economies, in order to save their own skins and avoid revolutions dangerous for economical stablishments, but by no means situation are to improve in a foreseable future. Anycase, as a wise and favorite of mine Spanish lemma says: "MAL DE MUCHOS, CONSUELO DE TONTOS", seems derogatory but no one Spaniard feels on the intelligent side on listening them. :D

HispaniaSagrada
06-23-2013, 11:14 PM
OO