PDA

View Full Version : Russian restaurants around the world

The Lawspeaker
09-26-2009, 01:06 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/190307018yz1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Pelmeni.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Tepside_cirdingis.JPG

Каждый, кто родился в бывшем СССР, привычен к русской кухне. Русские рестораны за рубежом объединяют людей разного возраста, национальности, гражданства и политических убеждений, любящих знакомые блюда и обслуживание на русском языке.

Приезжие, иностранные туристы и даже местные жители зачастую не знают о ближайших русских ресторанах.
Наш сайт поможет Вам найти русские рестораны в разных странах мира.
Также традиционно включены рестораны с кухнями Украины, Молдавии, бывших кавказских, среднеазиатских и других республик.
Не включены рестораны в странах бывшего СССР и восточной Европы.

Всего включено более 1200 заведений - от открытого в 1917г. ресторана Bellevue в Хельсинки, до маленьких кафе и баров.
Большинство русских ресторанов находится в США - более 400, а затем в Германии - более 200.

Русские рестораны открываются и закрываются очень часто. Несмотря на постоянные усилия прилагаемые для включения всех действующих русских ресторанов, некоторые рестораны возможно пропущены, а некоторые могут быть закрыты или изменили свои данные. Нет гарантий того, что информация о любом заведении, представленная на сайте, актуальна и верна.

Мы будем признательны за любые предложенные дополнения и поправки, а также за Ваши фотографии ресторанов, которые могут быть опубликованы на нашем сайте.

Приятного Аппетита !

Everybody born in the former USSR is accustomed to the Russian Cuisine. Russian restaurants outside of Russia unite people of varying ages, nationalities, citizenship, and political beliefs, who enjoy the familiar dishes and like to be served by a Russian-speaking staff.

Out-of-towners, foreign tourists, or even locals often don't know about nearby Russian restaurants.
Our site will help you find Russian restaurants around the world.
Restaurants with Ukrainian, Moldavian, Caucasian, Middle Asian, etc. cuisines are also traditionally included.
Restaurants of the former USSR countries and Eastern Europe are not included.

Over 1200 entries are listed - from the restaurant Bellevue, established in Helsinki, in 1917, to the small cafes and bars.
The majority of the Russian restaurants are located in the US with over 400, followed by Germany with over 200.

The Russian restaurant scene is changing rapidly.> In spite of constant efforts to list all currently open Russian restaurants, some restaurants may be omitted, and some may be closed or have changed their data. There are no guarantees that the information about any establishment presented on this site is accurate and is up to date.

We will be grateful for any suggested additions and corrections, and also for your restaurants' photos, which may be published on our site.

Priyatnogo Appetita !

Click here (http://www.restoran.us/) if you are in for a culinary cultural experience.
Hell- I never realized that we have one just down the motorway. :cool:

Absinthe
09-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I've tasted Russian and Ukrainian cuisine...neither of them were my cup of tea :(

The Lawspeaker
09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I never had the opportunity to go beyond Stroganoff and Borscht so I am willing to sample. :D

Absinthe
09-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Well for example I hate Borscht. But the most traumatic experience was something like jello with prawns :D EeK!
I tried that at a black tie event at the Russian Embassy so it was most definitely ethnic Russian delicacy in case someone tries to argue otherwise. :p

I've also been to a Ukrainian restaurant...their cuisine probably sucks more than the Russian. Besides being lousy, it was also ridiculously expensive.
Not just the food but also the wine. They charged us something like 30 euros for a bottle of Kagor (spelling?) which I believe is the cheapest wine one can buy in russian super markets. :rolleyes:

The Lawspeaker
09-26-2009, 01:51 PM
You were eating out in Greece so I think you were just effed over. ;)

I will tell you about my personal experiences after I have visited one of those restaurants. :hungry:
Before that I won't pass a judgment.

maria_k
12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Well for example I hate Borscht. But the most traumatic experience was something like jello with prawns :D EeK!
I tried that at a black tie event at the Russian Embassy so it was most definitely ethnic Russian delicacy in case someone tries to argue otherwise. :p

I've also been to a Ukrainian restaurant...their cuisine probably sucks more than the Russian. Besides being lousy, it was also ridiculously expensive.
Not just the food but also the wine. They charged us something like 30 euros for a bottle of Kagor (spelling?) which I believe is the cheapest wine one can buy in russian super markets. :rolleyes:

Russian food might seem strange for people outside Russia I guess, but it's of course the matter of taste. My Australian friend here loves Borsch but he's tried it in many places in Moscow (and my mum's, too) and of course some of them didn't make decent Borsch, so I assume the restaurant you tried it in might've been a similar case.
As for the prices - it shouldn't be expensive unless they are trying to profit from making something "rare" like Russian food. Kagor isn't the cheapest wine btw, some of those are quite expensive here, too. I personally don't like most Russian food but there are a lot of people who would disagree with me.
30 euros for a Kagor IS ridiculous, you should come to Russia and make your Russian friends cook proper food for you and then I'm sure there'll be something you'll like :)

PS: anything with prawns couldn't possibly be Russian...

Cail
12-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Can't recognize the food from the 3rd photo of the 1st post (after borshch and pelmeni), what is it? Never saw anything like that in Russia.

UPD: lol, i googled it (by photo's name), it is Chechen, not Russian - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Cirdingis

Chechen and Russian cultures have nothing in common, it is not Russian food.

Thorum
12-24-2009, 09:59 PM
When I was in Moscow a few years ago, I stayed a week at the Hotel Sovietsky and will never forget the meals we had at the restaurant there called "Yar". It was the best place I have ever eaten and of course the barbecued meat was the best!!

Yar - English language (http://www.sovietsky.ru/index2.php?ver=yar&lang=eng)

Yar - Russian language (http://www.sovietsky.ru/index2.php?ver=yar)

Sovietsky (http://www.sovietsky.ru/)

Osweo
12-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Well for example I hate Borscht.
Blasphemy! :eek:

But the most traumatic experience was something like jello with prawns :D EeK!
Lol, some avant garde chef tried to make 'kholodets' or whatever it's called out of prawns? :rotfl: Not Russian! But perhaps a Russian idea; they love to chop meat and set it in jelly, and serve it you as though it's a delicacy, and not a close cousin to dogfood... ;)

Ha! I've been to dos at the BRITISH Embassy in Moscow, and others, and you DO NOT get national cuisine there! :p

Kagor (spelling?)
Oh the memories... Confused memories, and a few gaps... :loopy:;) Kagor is the Russian transliteration of French Cahors.

Anyroad, there's a newish Russky Restoran in Manchester, now, with actual Russians serving. Not too dear, and quite authentic. :thumb001: I forget the name, but I dimly recall it being summat like 'Saint Petersburg'.

I suppose the main thing an Englander notices about the meals served up is the interesting use of mushrooms and cheese with pork... :yumyum: They make good simple salads, and do great stuff with marinaded fish.
And the soups are superb...
I believe I've already gone into it here:
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140543&postcount=19

Svarog
12-24-2009, 11:59 PM
BLINIS!! :D

maria_k
12-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Yes, I actually don't recognize the third dish either and I should say it doesn't really look delicious.. I'm sure it's not Russian even without looking it up on wiki.

As for "kholodets" - never tried it my whole life, just the sight of it makes me want to be sick, but a lot of people would say it's wonderfully yummy (ermm.. :sick2: )
BUT Russky soups do kick ass, and the fact we put dill or cheese in everything might seem strange but it does make food taste nice, at least for my taste :)
Smetana is one every-where-put sauce, too, but it's good for any taste and if you don't like it - just don't add it. Fried mushrooms in smetana-sauce with a little spices make me accidentally bite the spoon with it sometimes...

Svarog
12-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Seriously tho, food in restaurants mostly sucks, to experience the real food of some people eating in those people houses is a must. I have ate in Russian restaurants and I am not kidding when I say that once I almost puked and I DO love Russian food, well, most of it. Then again, eating at friends and relatives in Moscow and St.Petersburg was something entirely different. What I did love is mostly fish, all of it that I tried was great (salmon with caviar mmm), other than that I could have some Kolodets and Blinis any day, damn, I want those Blinis now!! :D

Osweo
12-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I can't believe I'm reading and replying to a FOOD thread, after what I'VE just ate... :puke::D

BUT Russky soups do kick ass,
Машь, Господи! ужаснiй американизм! :eek:;)

and the fact we put dill or cheese in everything might seem strange but it does make food taste nice, at least for my taste :)
Aye, this is absolutely right, especially with DILL! (Ukrop, da?) For the first time today, my Mam experimented with a dill and horseradish sauce for smoked salmon, and I immediately tasted 'Russia'! :thumb001: And what could be more Russkiy than ukrop and hren?! :D

Smetana is one every-where-put sauce, too, but it's good for any taste and if you don't like it - just don't add it. Fried mushrooms in smetana-sauce with a little spices make me accidentally bite the spoon with it sometimes...
Nyam nyam! Ooh, what do you call that one again? Julienne? :yumyum:

I have ate in Russian restaurants and I am not kidding when I say that once I almost puked
Lol, I want to hear names of these restaurants - it'd be a completely new experience for me to eat the dreadful stuff some here seem to have found! I wasn't even sick when I had cow's brains in the Bulgarian restaurant near Smolenskaya Metro! :p

damn, I want those Blinis now!! :D
Oh, man, you're killing me... MMmmmMMMM! А с чем? Просто с сметаной? :)

Cail
12-26-2009, 04:00 AM
"Blinis/Blinees" is a grammar fail :). "Bliny" is already plural in Slavic, singular is "Blin", thus proper English plural is "Blins" ::tongue. I like to eat them with tvorog (Slavic cottage cheese of a sort) and "varenie/vařenina" - kind of jam, but the fruit bits are not mashed (thus its not paste-like, but with distinct pieces).

maria_k
12-26-2009, 06:14 AM
mmmm bliny... My dad makes the best bliny ever!

Машь, Господи! ужаснiй американизм! /QUOTE]
I knew you'd say that, but it's true, admit it! :P Sorry that 'Americanism' comes from the Aussies(!) I talk to most of the time... You just said "ужаснiй" which looks rather Ukranian than Russian :P

[QUOTE]Nyam nyam! Ooh, what do you call that one again? Julienne?
Yes, Julienne. It's really good!

Aye, this is absolutely right, especially with DILL! (Ukrop, da?) For the first time today, my Mam experimented with a dill and horseradish sauce for smoked salmon, and I immediately tasted 'Russia'! And what could be more Russkiy than ukrop and hren?!
Yeah, Ukrop. Some people keep complaining about it being everywhere though... I love it! And yes, once you add some - anything would taste Russian :)
Hren is not my favourite thing, but it's okay too!

"Blinis/Blinees" is a grammar fail . "Bliny" is already plural in Slavic, singular is "Blin", thus proper English plural is "Blins" :.
Cail, you are absolutely right, but we Russians do the same :D For example, with chips. We call them "чипсы" (chipsy) adding the plural after "s".

nisse
12-26-2009, 02:37 PM
You just said "ужаснiй" which looks rather Ukranian than Russian :P
In Ukrainian it's "жахливий"...even here there are no i's :D

On the topic of blins/blinis/блины, do you guys undestand that to mean something similar to crepes (my understanding)
http://gazeta.sebastopol.ua/image/504/
or similar to what they show on cooking shows (looks more like oladi/олади, imo):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2706473158_e8aeef1027.jpg

Osweo
12-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Sorry that 'Americanism' comes from the Aussies(!) I talk to most of the time...
:grumpy:

You just said "ужаснiй" which looks rather Ukranian than Russian :P
I know, and it tortures me to do this! I have a Bulgarian Cyrillic transliterator, you see, and they don't even HAVE the proper letter you want there! I could simply have put И but I'd be mortified to have anyone think me illiterate! :D

Cail, you are absolutely right, but we Russians do the same :D For example, with chips. We call them "чипсы" (chipsy) adding the plural after "s".
Oh, there are even worse examples, but I just can't bring them to mind this instant!

It is awkward trying to pluralise things in a different language, though, so some of this can be forgiven!

On the topic of blins/blinis/блины, do you guys undestand that to mean something similar to crepes (my understanding)
http://gazeta.sebastopol.ua/image/504/
or similar to what they show on cooking shows (looks more like oladi/олади, imo):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/2706473158_e8aeef1027.jpg
The first thing is what I call a blinchik.

Mmm... S vetchinoi i syrom... :thumb001:

Svarog
12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Lol, I want to hear names of these restaurants - it'd be a completely new experience for me to eat the dreadful stuff some here seem to have found!

One of the places to avoid is 'The Russian Tzar' restaurant in Novi Sad, the other one is Definitely 'Little Russian Kitchen' in Belgrade, both awful, and also, there is an Ukrainian restaurant just across the street, also avoid. Mexican one, just two blocks away, is pretty damn awesome tho.

I wasn't even sick when I had cow's brains in the Bulgarian restaurant near Smolenskaya Metro!

You must have an iron stomach, I am pretty sensitive on food, and not much I did like beside my mother's kitchen; I also avoid restaurants in generally and surely won't eat any brains or hearts, flesh etc outside of my own house. Btw boiled cow's brain can be pretty damn tasty when prepared properly.

Eldritch
12-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I do like Russian food (atrociously bad spelling ahead): zakuska appetizers, blinis, all kinds of Russian soups, chicken Kiev, "salads" drenched in mayonnaise, pelmennis, bear steak, etc. Everything of course drowned in smetana. :D

Just like the world's best Chinese restaurant open to the public during the Cold War was in San Francisco, the world's best Russian restaurant was Saslik (http://www.asrestaurants.com/EN/restaurants/saslik/presentation.html) in Helsinki.

Never eaten there, but as soon as I get an extra 200-300 € to spare, well, blinis w. caviar, vodka pitchers, Ivan the Terrible's meat skewers, Catherine the Great's oven-baked ice cream, etc, here I come! :thumb001:

Cail
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
I do like Russian food (atrociously bad spelling ahead): zakuska appetizers
Lol, zakuska means "an appetizer" :p. Russian zakuska / Polish zakąska (from "kusat'/kąsać" - to "bite"). It doesn't imply any particular food.

Eldritch
12-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Lol, zakuska means "an appetizer" :p. Russian zakuska / Polish zakąska (from "kusat'/kąsać" - to "bite"). It doesn't imply any particular food.

Yeah, I know. I meant I like all kinds of different typically Russian appetizers. ;)

maria_k
01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Never eaten there, but as soon as I get an extra 200-300 € to spare, well, blinis w. caviar, vodka pitchers, Ivan the Terrible's meat skewers, Catherine the Great's oven-baked ice cream, etc, here I come!

mmmm it makes even my Russian mouth water... I guess it'd all cost the same here in a restaurant, maybe a little less. Oven-baked ice cream, however, sounds confusing.. I'm sure I've heard of something strange like this but I have no idea what it's like! :confused:

Eldritch
01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
mmmm it makes even my Russian mouth water... I guess it'd all cost the same here in a restaurant, maybe a little less. Oven-baked ice cream, however, sounds confusing.. I'm sure I've heard of something strange like this but I have no idea what it's like! :confused:

http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/koti/makuja/reseptit/sponsoroidut/577462.jpg

AfaIk it has some sort of caramel glazing on top.

It's actually my partner who wants it, but that restaurant will only serve it to a minimum of two people. :p

The other Russian dessert I like is frozen cranberries with hot caramel sauce.

Eldritch
01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
-
-
-

Guapo
01-03-2010, 04:01 PM
http://www.ladjevic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pihtije2.jpg

:clap2:

Grumpy Cat
01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I have never had Russian food, I don't think. Anybody have any recipes?

Eldritch
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
http://www.ladjevic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/pihtije2.jpg

:clap2:

Is that pickled meat in aspic? Cool, I love that stuff, especially on dark rye bread and doused in mustard.