PDA

View Full Version : "Rights of Serbs in Croatia - obligation of EU"

Baluarte
07-08-2013, 02:04 PM
BELGRADE -- Milorad Pupovac says that on its way to the EU Croatia has not met all expectations about the rights of the Serb community.

The president of the Serb National Council in Croatia added that this remains among its obligations towards the EU, and now following the country's EU accession, it is also the obligation of the EU.

Pupovac stated that it is very good that Serbian President Tomislav Nikolić took part in the ceremony in Zagreb on the occasion of Croatia's EU accession, and that it is good that he will meet with Croatian President Ivo Josipović in foreseeable future.

“This is of great importance for the two countries' relations and the European future of the entire region, primarily for eradication of the remnants of the past,” Pupovac said in an interview for the Belgrade-based daily Večernje Novosti.

Pupovac underlined that the priority topics that Serbia and Croatia should resolve are the issues of missing persons, Serbs and Croats, return of refugees and their rights, borders, war crime proceedings and genocide lawsuits.

This is the continuation of the regional cooperation and also the continuation of the EU enlargement process to the rest of the Western Balkans and Southeast Europe.

“Croatia and Serbia are expected to contribute to the stabilization of the situation in Bosnia-Herzegovina. For all this, the Croatian and the Serbian policy are facing a serious historical task,” he said.

Pupovac said that the strengthening of the anti-Serb campaign and anti-Serb positions shows that there are forces, which after Croatia's EU accession, say - we can do it our way.

“This is a serious problem, which for the moment is only ours, but it could soon turn into a European problem,” Pupovac believes.

Pupovac said that Croatia is a specific country in terms of the Serb issue.

“Giving up on the policy of tolerance towards minorities, renewal of animosity, war rhetoric, and requests for annulment of the rights that have been acquired are seriously hindering the processes in the region,” he said.

"At the moment when Serbia should implement the Brussels agreement with Priština, and Serbs in Kosovo must implement a new reality for their lives, certain groups in Croatia say - we have entered the EU and we can do as we did in the past," Pupovac said.

According to him, this is "undermining the trust and credibility" of those who helped "normalize the situation in Croatia" - and said those were the EU, the U.S., and "other countries in the world."

http://www.b92.net/eng/news/region.php?yyyy=2013&mm=07&dd=08&nav_id=86877

RandoBloom
10-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Serbs have every right in croatia. More rights than they deserve

dralos
10-05-2013, 12:31 PM
nobody speaks about rights of minority in serbia who dont have any right atall

Sisak
10-06-2013, 12:21 PM
The problem is that there are some Croats who say that some murderers and rapists from the war continue normal living and working in Croatia, these people are working still in place as police officers, administrative clerks, in some great job places.... Serbs in Croatia live better than anywhere else in the Balkans.
But there are normal poor Serbs who are not guilty of anything, who share the same fate with other poor Croats in Croatia.

Sisak
10-06-2013, 12:36 PM

I have a double opinion on those "rights of minorities". because when you give the minority their rights this just only stop their assimilation into native population of country, reducing their reproductive rate and dying.

Szegedist
11-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Hilarious, EU critizes Croatia, yet EU accepted two countries where decrees which support collective ethnic guilt are still active, and said nothing about this.

Baluarte
11-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Hilarious, EU critizes Croatia, yet EU accepted two countries where decrees which support collective ethnic guilt are still active, and said nothing about this.

Which ones?

Szegedist
11-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Which ones?

Former Czechoslovakia:
http://www.politics.hu/20131107/official-calls-for-scrapping-post-wwii-benes-decrees/

We tried to take this to EU courts, however naturally it resulted in nothing.

Not to mention:

On 20 September 2007, the Slovak parliament adopted a resolution proposed by Ján Slota, the chairman of the ultra-nationalist[28][29][30] Slovak National Party, that confirmed the decrees. All ethnically Slovak members voted for the decision; only Hungarian minority leaders voted against it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene%C5%A1_decrees#Impact_on_today.27s_political_r elations

Sisak
11-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Local Serbs in Vukovar not complain about anything, these people who harass and provoke the Croats are Serb politicians from Croatia (president Ivo Josipovic, PM Zoran Milanovic)who constantly attacked Croats.

for the Croatian president is important only just put the Cyrillic table on the buildings.

Insuperable
11-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Local Serbs in Vukovar not complain about anything, these people who harass and provoke the Croats are Serb politicians from Croatia (president Ivo Josipovic, PM Zoran Milanovic)who constantly attacked Croats.

for the Croatian president is important only just put the Cyrillic table on the buildings.

:picard1:
Dear lord aren't you nuts! They are not Serbs! Just stop with this non-sense that 70% of politicians in Croatia are Serbs.

armenianbodyhair
11-22-2013, 02:10 AM
Did I read this wrong or is he saying that right of return should be granted? The cyrillic thing is definitely an issue, but he's kind of right about one thing, now that Croatia is in the EU they can do whatever they want unless it is very bad because they are already in. The EU seems not to care about these kind of things in candidate countries and member countries unless it's in their political interest to do so. I think it's sort of true that Croatia hasn't really been held accountable like they should be but actually I think it is more important to move forward. I doubt the EU is going to try and push legal things now that they are in anyway.

Context Dralos, Serbia is not yet in the EU. The point he's making is that since Croatia is in the EU this issue should now be brought to the forefront because that is something the EU (supposedly) cares about.

Stefan_Dusan
11-22-2013, 02:14 AM
The time to talk to rights for Croatian Serbs was before 1995. Now it's as expression goes "A cooked stew".

Szegedist
11-22-2013, 02:47 AM
:picard1:
Dear lord aren't you nuts! They are not Serbs! .
THey are Vlachs ;)

Insuperable
11-22-2013, 02:52 AM
Did I read this wrong or is he saying that right of return should be granted? The cyrillic thing is definitely an issue, but he's kind of right about one thing, now that Croatia is in the EU they can do whatever they want unless it is very bad because they are already in. The EU seems not to care about these kind of things in candidate countries and member countries unless it's in their political interest to do so. I think it's sort of true that Croatia hasn't really been held accountable like they should be but actually I think it is more important to move forward. I doubt the EU is going to try and push legal things now that they are in anyway.

Ah my dear Mon girl. I don't know who is annoying me more, you or Scarlett. The cyrillic thing is not an issue anymore (as of these days if I am not mistaken) since the law has been changed and no cyrillic signs will be put there since by the new law Vukovar will be considered as a special place, a sole exception when it comes to this things. Since 1990s Vukovar became a symbol since the war started there during 1990s and that is where people got hurt the most and that is where the people suffered the most in Croatia during 1990s. In places around Vukovar where Serbs are majority or where is more than 30% (as the law states) of them, the cyrillic signs are present.

Just for an info there is a theory that because of the Lex Perkovic case which was on the scene around the same time our stupid, traitor and pawn of the government brought this to attention as a diversion so it is still questionable how many Serbs are there in Vukovar and especially as if the actions for a new census are blocked by itself which are becoming everything except starting to get implemented. People from Vukovar swear that a good number of Serbs don't even live in Vukovar who only have papers from there and many actually live in Serbia, but are getting their income or pensions from Croatia.

I can't find it right now, but I posted in a similar discussion with you a list of Serbs which came to the light because of these events who work in Vukovar or a surrounding area, have nice jobs, many work in police, nobody complains, but who joined the Serbian forces during 1990s and many are suspected of committing murders of Croatian people during 1990 and some of them even live in Serbia, but work here. How about those rights of Serbs in Croatia!?

armenianbodyhair
11-22-2013, 03:01 AM
I can't find it right now, but I posted in a similar discussion with you a list of Serbs which came to the light because of these events who work in Vukovar or a surrounding area, have nice jobs, many work in police, nobody complains, but who joined the Serbian forces during 1990s and many are suspected of committing murders of Croatian people during 1990 and some of them even live in Serbia, but work here. How about those rights of Serbs in Croatia!?
I think you have me confused with someone else because I have absolutely no recollection of any such list.

I think all people should be held accountable for their actions during the war, regardless of their ethnicity and those who were affected should get appropriate compensation or at least see justice served.

Insuperable
11-22-2013, 03:05 AM
I think you have me confused with someone else because I have absolutely no recollection of any such list.

There was a discussion about these cyrillic sings in some thread which I can't remember this summer, mostly between you and me, but it may seem that I didn't post it specifically to you which may be the reason why you can't remember.

Petros Houhoulis
11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Former Czechoslovakia:
http://www.politics.hu/20131107/official-calls-for-scrapping-post-wwii-benes-decrees/

We tried to take this to EU courts, however naturally it resulted in nothing.

Not to mention:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene%C5%A1_decrees#Impact_on_today.27s_political_r elations

The only difference is that those decrees were signed AFTER WWII and BEFORE the universal declaration of human rights by the U.N. Beyond that, one of the reasons WWII was ignited was because Hitler used the Sudeten minority as an excuse to destroy Czechoslovakia... and then Europe followed.

Of course Milosevic tried to do the same as Hitler. Nevertheless, Croatia was saved by their European allies, and it is only an irony to accuse Europe of undermining Croatia, when Croatia would have probably lost much of its' territories to Serbia satellites without German support. Meanwhile, Serbia is not part of the E.U. and as such Europe cannot impose anything to Serbia. Nevertheless, Serbia is courting the E.U.

Szegedist
11-26-2013, 03:09 PM
The only difference is that those decrees were signed AFTER WWII and BEFORE the universal declaration of human rights by the U.N

The so called Pontic Greek genocide also happened before the delcaration of human rights was passed. By your logic that makes it ok?

Dema
09-06-2016, 01:34 AM
They all pretend to be Croats

Petros Houhoulis
09-06-2016, 03:20 AM
The so called Pontic Greek genocide also happened before the delcaration of human rights was passed. By your logic that makes it ok?

Did you see me anywhere asking for Pontus to be returned to Greece? Or did you see me claiming the properties of the Pontic Greeks to be returned to them?