PDA

View Full Version : Alternative dairy products

FrostDragon
07-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Discuss milk products other than cow's. I, personally, like goat/sheep dairy (which I must say are quite popular in Israel) mainly in form of yogort and cheese-many Israeli brands offer goat yogort with various fruits, which make a nice desert. Buffalo milk is also avilable, from which I like mozzarella the most.
http://www.edenteva.co.il/category/6/33/מוצרי-חלב-צאן/מוצרי-חלב-ביצים-ומעדנייה

Albion
07-19-2013, 09:01 PM
I like goats milk, although I haven't had it in years as it's expensive - not many goats in England (it's too cold and wet for them in winter and much of the year and they were associated with the devil in the past).
England has a lot of sheep in the uplands, selling sheep's milk and cheese would perhaps be a good business for our struggling upland farmers (wool prices are so low that it costs more to produce than it can be sold for). Never tried sheep's milk though, I guess it can't be too dissimilar from goats.

riverman
07-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Umm why do you guys avoid milk?

Caismeachd
07-19-2013, 09:29 PM
I've only had goat cheese. I thought perhaps you meant things like soy milk (which is gross) or rice milk or coconut milk

iNird
07-19-2013, 09:32 PM

Humans are the only animals to drink another species milk regularly.

Albion
07-19-2013, 09:34 PM

Who said anything about avoiding milk? I drink cow's milk every day, goat's milk is just an interesting novelty (it has a different flavour).

I've only had goat cheese. I thought perhaps you meant things like soy milk (which is gross) or rice milk or coconut milk

Soy in general is bad in large amounts as it supports the production of estrogen. This leads to weight gain in women, and man boobs among other problems in men.

iNird
07-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Almond milk is a better alternative to soy.

Albion
07-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Humans are the only animals to drink another species milk regularly.

And even then, it is only really Caucasians and some Africans that have evolved to have lactose tolerance beyond childhood.

Lusos
07-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Breast milk.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5106/93ft.jpg

Swearengen
07-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't eat/drink any dairy any more. Unless it's in a sauce or chocolate. Or cheese on stuff like pizza.

I drink almond and coconut milk.

1stLightHorse
07-19-2013, 10:08 PM
I would go for something like organic goats cheese or a sheep cheese, if i went for an alternative.

FrostDragon
07-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Are goat/sheep milk products that uncommon in Europe? Here in Israel, they are very popular and easy to obtain.

Albion
07-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Are goat/sheep milk products that uncommon in Europe? Here in Israel, they are very popular and easy to obtain.

In Northern European they seem to be. With such good grazing for cattle, I guess there's been little need for goat / sheep dairy products. Sheep are very common though, but raised for meat and wool, especially in the British Isles and Iceland.

FrostDragon
07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Israelis consume plenty of dairy, both cow and sheep/goat.
As far as meat goes, mutton and lamb are expensive and thus not as common, and most beef is imported as frozen meat; Israelis eat mostly chicken. I like lamb/mutton, too bad lamb chops coss as much as four times the price of pork chops...
Now look at this Israeli "invention"-the Ya'ez, half ibex and half goat!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Yaez.jpg

Albion
07-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Israelis consume plenty of dairy, both cow and sheep/goat.
As far as meat goes, mutton and lamb are expensive and thus not as common, and most beef is imported as frozen meat; Israelis eat mostly chicken. I like lamb/mutton, too bad lamb chops coss as much as four times the price of pork chops...
Not look at this Israeli "invention"-the Ya'ez, half ibex and half goat!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Yaez.jpg

Ya'ez must be pretty hardy, are they fertile though?

As for beef and lamb - they're okay in price here since grass grows well in the mild, wet climate with long summer days. Cattle and sheep are grass fed and this is supplemented by grass that has been turned into hay or silage for use in winter, as well as feed from low quality wheat. Beef used to be cheaper when it was imported from Argentina en mass, that trade died though for a number of reasons.

Fortis in Arduis
07-22-2013, 02:43 AM

Frequently, I consume feta and mozzarella cheese. I prefer buffalo mozzarella, but the most common variety is made from cow's milk.

Goat's milk, butter and yoghurt is available to purchase from most UK supermarkets. Goat's milk is said to be more cooling than cow's milk.

Sheep's milk and yoghurt is less popular, but still, it can be found, and one can find almost anything on the cheese counters.

Sometimes, I make my own cheese. I might try using goat's milk instead of cow's milk for a change.

I have a thing about paneer butter masala (http://www.padhuskitchen.com/2011/12/paneer-butter-masala-restaurant-style.html).

I could imagine goat's butter and goat's paneer working quite well with this recipe, although it might require some sugar, and extra coriander, garam masala spices or salt to balance the astringent flavour of the goat's milk.

Here is a recipe (http://www.ephemeraanddetritus.com/2011/07/05/goat-milk-paneer/) for such.

Goat's, buffalo and sheep's milk products are more expensive than cow's milk products.

FrostDragon
07-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Ya'ez must be pretty hardy, are they fertile though?

As for beef and lamb - they're okay in price here since grass grows well in the mild, wet climate with long summer days. Cattle and sheep are grass fed and this is supplemented by grass that has been turned into hay or silage for use in winter, as well as feed from low quality wheat. Beef used to be cheaper when it was imported from Argentina en mass, that trade died though for a number of reasons.

Yes, they are fertile.
So what is considered expensive in the UK?

apple
07-27-2013, 10:08 AM
the only untypical milk i have had is soy milk

I hate all types of milk.

But I like cheeses and icecreams, and all the other diary products that don't taste like milk :thumb001: