PDA

View Full Version : Are Polls A Waste Of Time?

Treffie
09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Please vote. This is very important. ;)

Also, please give your opinions on this pastime.

Äike
09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes, if several polls are created in a single day.

Rachel
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
\Is this an oxymoron ? .... a poll about polls ... maybe i am just wrong ?

Treffie
09-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Sort of, feel the irony? :thumb001:

Liffrea
09-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Definitely not, no plumbers or builders come cheaper…

Phlegethon
09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
All polls and elections are a waste of time. Do I care about what others think? Heck, no! They can (and will eventually) all go to hell.

Treffie
09-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Yes, if several polls are created in a single day.

How about the quality of polls? Does it make a difference?

Vulpix
09-29-2009, 01:38 PM

An oxymoron is defined by the use of two generally contrasting terms (e.g., angelic demon).

Äike
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM

High quality polls are always better, but I still think that over 2 polls created in a single day is too much.

Phlegethon
09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Is this an oxymoron?

Nah, just an alliteration.

Liffrea
09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Polls are only useful if several show a consistent pattern.

Poltergeist
09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I post polls only in the social group (and subforum) "Fuck you", so I guess you can therefrom draw conclusions on my opinion on polls as such.

Beorn
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm a quiet man, and usually I am a shy and retiring sort of fellow. I wouldn't want for my opinions to get people riled up and bent out of shape, and I certainly wouldn't want people to consider me rude and abrupt, but it is an important fact that this forum has descended in the last few days/weeks into a forum where Europeans and European descended people congregate to see if they are an 'A' or a 'B' person, or like shoes, or colours and what shows or films they may like. (I personally love the 'currently drinking' poll, as I would be lost as to what others are consuming). It does seem as if every thread there is about how non-European the Russians are, which is usually juxtaposed inbetween a thread about how non-European the Finnish are, there is three polls informing us that, for example, that today is warm yet slightly overcast in Norway or very sunny in California.

Now, I like some polls. I think the 'currently reading' poll is very informative and my 'to read list' is extremely long and impossible to fulfil on my current economically soured wallet, but I still check in from time to time to have a browse.

My other favourite poll of sorts is the 'Beautiful European Women' thread. That shit is just highbrow and don't nobody knock it. Ya hear? :mad:

In short, whilst I am a hypocrite and contradictory in stating my current hatred for threads about what fish I like to consume, or which brand of Jeans I may like to wear on Sundays, I do at times enjoy them. When they are in tiny, tiny amounts.

Enough of the bloody polls; enough of the bloody threads where you want to throw your insecurities and complexes about other peoples nations and enough of these..@*%*"£^T*£

OKAY?!?!?

Aemma
09-29-2009, 02:35 PM
All polls and elections are a waste of time. Do I care about what others think? Heck, no! They can (and will eventually) all go to hell.

Phleg as a Priest....

A young woman gets all settled in the confessional, mumbling something about having a run in her new stockings now since the kneeling bench, though usually well-worn, has, for some strange reason a few splinters sticking out. It looks like someone was at it with their nails in a desperate attempt at suppressing anger or some such.

Phleg drums his fingers on his chest all while rolling his eyes, as impatient as ever, he exhales a sighed utterance: "Yes my child, how may I help you?"

The young woman begins: "Forgive me Father for I have sinned....."

Phleg cuts her off in mid-sentence: "No salvation for you! NEXT!" And quickly slams the partition's screen.

:P :D

Note this story is best read in "Seinfeld mode". Aficionados will catch the reference. :D

Oh right there was a question here: Polls...hmm they have their usefulness for some serious questions and can help in sparking discussion. But like anything else, too much of a good thing can ruin it. :)

Lady L
09-29-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't mind the polls. Serious ones or joking ones. It will all equal itself out anyway. ;) I wouldn't want it to be serious at all times and I wouldn't want it to be fun and games all the time either. I like the middle ground. :)

Electronic God-Man
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
If I could have any super-power I might choose the super-power of being able to destroy poll threads at will.

Now as a nod to BeornWulfWer, a display of how random and meaningless most things around here can get, and as a reminder to refuse and resist taking part in poll threads, I present to you...

Refuse/Resist by Sepultura!
Od3w_RtZAFk

Tabiti
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
I accept them to be just a way to behave more lowbrow...

safinator
11-28-2011, 11:51 AM
No, i like polls.

Moonbird
11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Polls can sometimes give a clearer view of the members opinions. I think they serve a purpose.

Gratis
11-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I think I vote on polls more than I post.

Phil75231
11-28-2011, 10:23 PM
No offense intended, Treffie, but...

certainly polls with binary yes-no answers are a waste of time - unless it's plain and obvious there can be ONLY a "yes" or "no" answer in the absolute senses of the phrases (literally as clear-cut as 0s and 1s in binary code).

Also, as you said, it depends on the quality of the polls.

Logan
11-28-2011, 10:49 PM

I would think so. Not bothered otherwise. I don't have any interest then I don't respond. Others might well be different.