PDA

View Full Version : The Arc of Civilization

Absinthe
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I got this idea last night, as I was reading a sci-fi novel.

So...

Assuming the Earth is about to end, and scientists are planning to create a huge space-arc, with items/species/samples, etc, from the Earth, that need to be preserved.

You are responsible for the cultural items. You must pick a few of the most important samples of human civilization, and put them in the arc so that future generations living in Space, can reconstruct them, or at least know of what was the human civilization on Earth.

Which items would you pick? Name a few! ;)

Loki
12-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Toilet paper, books, computer, mobile phone.

:coffee:

HawkR
12-22-2008, 12:48 PM
A digital camera. With pictures of all the other stuff.

Vulpix
12-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Some supercars :D, digital cameras :thumb001:, all the books ever printed, computers, games console :p, all the knowledge on the internet :rolleyes:...

http://www.cardotcom.com/cars/images02/06aston-vanquish-s.jpg

Absinthe
12-22-2008, 01:09 PM
They are so many that I don't know where to start.

My items would be less modern than yours, since I'd like to see humanity reconstructed from earlier, more glorious (and less degenarate) times. ;)

I'd start with copis of all the epics: Homeric, Norse (sagas+eddas), the Kalevala, Mahabharata, Ramayana, Gilgamesh, etc....etc...

I'd include sample marbles from the Parthenon and a photo the statue of Venus de Milo.

The Antikethyra Mechanism. The Phaistos disc.

The Viking ship from the Oslo museum.

An egyptian sarcofagus and a scarab.

Some Mayan+Aztec artifacts, propably.

CDs of classical music: Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, etc.

The recipe for salmiakki :D

Photos of the Arno Breker statues.

Celtic designs, and artifacts.

A poster of Bettie Page :p

Copy of Nietzsche's "Thus spoke Zarathustra".

...and the list goes on. More, later. :thumb001:

Arrow Cross
12-22-2008, 01:17 PM
A Bible.

Absinthe
12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Seeing you, it reminds me to include a magyar bow and a book with horseback riding instructions. ;)

Arrow Cross
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Seeing you, it reminds me to include a magyar bow and a book with horseback riding instructions. ;)
:kiss:

“Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Space Hungarians.”

SwordoftheVistula
12-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, some good metal music, Atlas Shrugged, Beowulf.

Loki
03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
A database backup of Apricity forum. ;)

Birka
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Every book ever written. Every movie ever filmed. Google earth to remember what it looked like, and go to search our old homes. Cows, gotta have a steak now and then. Guiness, vodka and scotch.

A good health screening, do not want to bring any communicable diseases with us.

Oh how could I forget, all the cds and albums ever recorded, and my Les Paul guitar and Mesa Boogie amp.

Question for discussion, do we bring our weapons?

SuuT
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
[...] Atlas Shrugged [...] .

:rolleyes:.

Try to stay ideologically consistent.

Rainraven
03-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Oooh tricky...

A guitar and tabs for space sing-a-longs of kumbayah :thumb001:

DVD box set of Black Books, that show never gets old.

A copy of The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons because I'm sure you still need chick-lit in space.

Well those are my contributions, they shouldn't take up too much space so just leave me a little corner free :p

Aemma
03-23-2009, 08:59 PM
A Bible.

But not just any Bible...this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenberg_Bible

:book2:

Jägerstaffel
03-23-2009, 10:44 PM
All the episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on DVD.

And brewing equipment with lots of hops and yeast.

Beorn
03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
I would take nothing.

Depending upon how it is that the Earth has come to face it's final hour, I would say the past leading to the present has led us to the situation we ultimately face; and perhaps, this is mankind's one chance to start anew, become reborn and attempt to recreate what was lost aeons ago in the Garden of Eden.

Manifest Destiny
03-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I got this idea last night, as I was reading a sci-fi novel.

So...

Assuming the Earth is about to end, and scientists are planning to create a huge space-arc, with items/species/samples, etc, from the Earth, that need to be preserved.

You are responsible for the cultural items. You must pick a few of the most important samples of human civilization, and put them in the arc so that future generations living in Space, can reconstruct them, or at least know of what was the human civilization on Earth.

Which items would you pick? Name a few! ;)

A Heckler & Koch USP 9mm pistol, copies of important books (The Eddas, Bible, Plato's Republic, Horton Hears A Who, etc.), books on architecture, classical music, books on nuclear fusion and physics, books on philosophy, something about the internal combustion engine and the automobiles that used them.

Manifest Destiny
03-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, some good metal music, Atlas Shrugged, Beowulf.

Atlas Shrugged would be a good idea. It might keep future humans from making the mistakes we're making now.

SuuT
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged would be a good idea. It might keep future humans from making the mistakes we're making now.

Absolutely. What we could use more of is a store-house of self-indulgent, screw the common-man, Jewess prose exemplified in the tidings of the advocacy of reason, individualism, and the market economy.

:rolleyes:

Manifest Destiny
03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Absolutely. What we could use more of is a store-house of self-indulgent, screw the common-man, Jewess prose exemplified in the tidings of the advocacy of reason, individualism, and the market economy.

The common man got screwed plenty in the Soviet-style societies that Rand opposed.

:rolleyes:

I'll see your :rolleyes: and raise you a :rolleyes2:.

SuuT
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
The common man got screwed plenty in the Soviet-style societies that Rand opposed.

In the admixture of ideas as per Meta-Ethnic consideration, Rand had a few good ideas. But, as implied, they were Jewish (Cf./consider the difference between Saxon trading methods, and those that are per Stirpes of Semetic origin).

The Jew rules by proxy.

As per the recommmendation of Jewish thought and writings.

Ayn Rand (pronounced "I-an") did not escape this in her magnus opus that you would have in your time-capsule.

Manifest Destiny
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
In the admixture of ideas as per Meta-Ethnic consideration, Rand had a few good ideas. But, as implied, they were Jewish (Cf./consider the difference between Saxon trading methods, and those that are per Stirpes of Semetic origin).

The Jew rules by proxy.

As per the recommmendation of Jewish thought and writings.

Ayn Rand (pronounced "I-an") did not escape this in her magnus opus that you would have in your time-capsule.

Actually, Rand didn't advocate Jewish rule over non-Jews.

SuuT
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
"Plato's" 'Republic' ought to be flushed down the toilet, too.

SuuT
03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Actually, Rand didn't advocate Jewish rule over non-Jews.

Didn't say that she did. And besides, she didn't have to. - the end result is what it is, brother.

Manifest Destiny
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Didn't say that she did.

It seemed to be implied.

And besides, she didn't have to. - the end result is what it is, brother.

Please note that for much of America's history, it was a racially conscious and fairly capitalist country. Also note that the people who are trying to eliminate the former run in the same circles as those who are trying to eliminate the latter.