PDA

View Full Version : Bored of being a grown-up?

wvwvw
07-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Bored of being a grown-up? Welcome to the virtual world where adults in a child-like body start to see the world like a kid again
Spanish researchers found that when they placed adults in a virtual body of a four-year-old they identified with child-like attributes
Adults donned a motion-capture suit to track their body movements and a special head-mounted display
Scientists think the study could be used to trigger forgotten memories
By SARAH GRIFFITHS
PUBLISHED: 18:42 GMT, 16 July 2013 | UPDATED: 18:43 GMT, 16 July 2013

Adults in child-like bodies temporarily living in a specially-designed virtual environment start to see the world like they did when they were young, according to Spanish scientists.

Researchers from the University of Barcelona found that when they placed adults in a virtual body of a four-year-old, adults participating in the experiment identified with child-like attributes and began overestimating the size of objects.
The scientists believe their research, published in PNAS, could be used to trigger forgotten childhood memories.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/16/article-2366036-1AD7A2A7000005DC-167_634x286.jpg
Adults in child-like bodies temporarily living in a specially-designed virtual world (pictured), see the world more like they did when they were young, according to Spanish scientist

As reported by BBC News, to participate in the study, adults donned a motion-capture suit to track their body movements and a special head-mounted display to enable them to move around their new virtual world just as they would normally.
It is generally accepted that the human brain is 'accommodating of illusory changes' so if a person moves at the same time as their virtual character, they feel as if they are really traveling through that virtual world.

Next-generation cash machines set to replace bank cards with facial recognition
Mel Slater led the team at the university, which found that participants reacted differently in situations depending on whether they were inhabiting the virtual body of a four-year-old compared to an adult's body merely scaled down to the same size as a child's.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/16/article-2366036-1AD7A2D3000005DC-553_306x423.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/16/article-2366036-1AD7A264000005DC-25_306x423.jpg
To participate in the study, adults donned a motion-capture suit to track their body movements and a special head-mounted display to enable them to move around their new virtual world just as they would normally

While 'embodiment illusions' are known to make surrounding objects seem larger if a person is placed in a smaller virtual body, the scientists were surprised that those in a child's body overestimated the sizes of objects to a much larger extent.
When faced with a choice of two rooms to enter, adults in child-like bodies chose a matching room.
They were also asked to categorise themselves as having child-like or adult-like attributes.
Those in the child's virtual body reacted faster to child-like attributes to those in the smaller adult body.
Professor Slater told the BBC that the illusion of body ownership was responsible for the findings of the study.

When faced with a choice of two rooms to enter, adults in child-like bodies chose a matching room. They were also asked to categorise themselves as having child-like or adult-like attributes
'Somehow the brain thinks 'this is my body' which makes the whole experience consistent. You see the world bigger, have more childlike attributes and prefer a child's environment rather than an adult one.'
The scientists believe that their findings could be used for therapy or recalling distant childhood memories.
He said: 'To some extent you could revert people to a child-like experience, so they may be able to remember things from their childhood better or to empathise more with their own children.'
More research is needed to determine if the experience will have long-term effects.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2366036/Bored-grown-Welcome-virtual-world-adults-child-like-body-start-world-like-kid-again.html#ixzz2ZFAmRMhv