PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian woman who reported being raped in Dubai is jailed for 16 months

Anglojew
07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
he Norwegian woman reported the sexual assault in March this year, after which she had to spend days in a cell before she was allowed to use a telephone.

With the help of family members, the Norwegian consulate was able to negotiate a release and she has been living under the protection of the Norwegian Sailor’s Church until her sentencing this week.

'I received the harshest sentence for sex outside marriage, harshest sentence for drinking alcohol and on top of that I was found guilty of perjury,’ the woman told Verdens Gang.

‘It is a terrible situation she is in,’ said Gisle Meling, the priest at the Norwegian Sailor’s Church.

‘We are very surprised and had hoped it would go another way, but we live in a country which has a justice system which draws its conclusions with the help of Sharia law.’

he was sentenced to one year and four months in jail but as Norway has no extradition treaty with Dubai, her future is uncertain.

The young Norwegian woman's story is not unique.

Earlier this year Australian Alicia Gali, 27, spoke of how she was thrown in a Dubai jail for eight months after she reported a rape.

Miss Gali was working at hotel chain Starwood when her drink was spiked in the staff bar.

She awoke to find that three colleagues had raped her, but when she went to a hospital for help, they turned her over to the police and she was charged with illicit sex outside marriage.

Under UAE law, rapists can only be convicted if either the perpetrator confesses or if four adult Muslim males witness the crime.

Under the Sharia-influenced laws, sex before marriage is completely forbidden and an unmarried couple holding hands in public can be jailed.

Foreigners jailed in Dubai are deported immediately after completing their sentences.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2367152/Norwegian-woman-reported-raped-Dubai-jailed-16-months.html#ixzz2ZM3hg8HN

Philo
07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Fucking animals. They can't even come up with a proper justice system. At least this should serve as a warning to women to not go to Dubai(which is supposedly one of the better Arab countries in this regard).

King Claus
07-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Woman gets raped by arab, womans get senteced to jail :heh: those fucking arabs sure now to make a sick joke;/

Krampus
09-01-2013, 04:23 AM
"Under UAE law, rapists can only be convicted if either the perpetrator confesses or if four adult Muslim males witness the crime." Fucking disgusting. Only if 4 Muslim males witness it. So if a non-Muslim witnesses it it's false? or if a woman witnesses it it's false? Fucking Arabs. I hope Israel wipes these bastards out.

Blackout
09-01-2013, 04:40 AM
"Under UAE law, rapists can only be convicted if either the perpetrator confesses or if four adult Muslim males witness the crime."

That's regarding 'adultery' not rape. The men have to be of high standing within the community. I don't think people would normally have 'affairs' in full view of the public anyway.

So if a non-Muslim witnesses it it's false? or if a woman witnesses it it's false?

No, their accounts are also taken and evaluated. If there is sufficient proof, then the matter will be taken further.

Loki
09-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Does anyone still think Islam comes from God?

Blackout
09-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Very contradictory laws. I have walked past several nightclubs in Dubai. If they are so serious about Islamic laws, why are they allowing other stuff to happen? Further more, GIVE THE WOMEN JUSTICE AND PUNISH THE FILTHY RAPISTS!

Blackout
09-01-2013, 04:51 AM

It would be better if you asked if the U.A.E's 'royal' family actually follow Islam?!

Loki
09-01-2013, 04:56 AM
It would be better if you asked if the U.A.E's 'royal' family actually follow Islam?!

Obama should bomb the UAE instead of Syria.

Mortimer
09-01-2013, 04:59 AM

Islam has nothing to do with God. It is a injust tribalistic and sexist law also intolerant and fascistoid, we need to get rid of such things in the 21st century

Blackout
09-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Obama should bomb the UAE instead of Syria.

Hah! I wouldn't go that far! But there definitely needs to be a drastic change in their ruling system, and what better way to start than to dismantle the so called 'royal' family in charge.

StonyArabia
09-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Hah! I wouldn't go that far! But there definitely needs to be a drastic change in their ruling system, and what better way to start than to dismantle the so called 'royal' family in charge.

It's ruled by different families they are not related to one another hence the Emirates it's a federation. They won't be moved any time soon as they are strong allies of Anglo-America.

Blackout
09-01-2013, 05:16 AM
It's ruled by different families they are not related to one another hence the Emirates it's a federation. They won't be moved any time soon as they are strong allies of Anglo-America.

Do you know what the sentiment is towards the government (by U.A.E natives)?

1stLightHorse
09-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Do you know what the sentiment is towards the government (by U.A.E natives)?

I do, they love their government. How could they not? They government literally provides everything for them. The deal in UAE is that there is a lot of foreign prostitution. Almost every single rape case in UAE will be of foreign women. The actual Emirati women themselves seem to actually be some the most upstanding of all the Arab women (not willing to whore themselves for money). But this is a by-product of the government provisions in healthcare, education, living expenses, etc.

When foreign women go there, it's like open season. There are however alot of foreign men roaming around too, namely pakistanis and other south asians (for cheap labor) who are being seriously taken advantage of. They tend to go around alot, frequent bars etc when they get off work and can get themselves into trouble. Westerners are a bit like that too. I think the younger Emiratis hit the clubs too alot and drink etc. This is based on what i've seen when i visited Dubai and also Abu Dhabi.

StonyArabia
09-01-2013, 05:31 AM
I do, they love their government. How could they not? They government literally provides everything for them.

I wanted to say the same thing. The people in the UAE love their government and their loyalty is unquestionable.

Blackout
09-01-2013, 05:38 AM
I do, they love their government. How could they not? They government literally provides everything for them.

Interesting.

I wanted to say the same thing. The people in the UAE love their government and their loyalty is unquestionable.

If this is the case, i guess its their business how they rule their country.

Loki
09-01-2013, 08:04 AM
If this is the case, i guess its their business how they rule their country.

Yes, but the rest of the world should know that not all that glitters is gold. Especially not when it's got the stamp of Islam on it.