PDA

View Full Version : Wolves have a unique 'singing voice'

wvwvw
07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Wolves have a unique 'singing voice' and can 'identify each other' by howl
Nottingham Trent University researchers created a computer programme that analysed the volume and pitch of a howl to identify its owner
Tested on 67 recordings of ten wild wolves, it was correct 100 per cent of the time and accurately recognised individual calls from a chorus
The findings will give conservationists an accurate way of tracking wolves

Humans may recognise it as the spooky soundtrack of many a classic horror film.
But to its fellow creatures, a wolf’s howl is a more distinctive sound.
Researchers found that each animal has its own ‘singing voice’ that allows it to be picked out in a chorus of cries.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/22/article-0-01CC60E3000004B0-571_634x442.jpg

The findings will give conservationists an accurate way of tracking the creatures which play an essential role in the food chain but can be a pest to farmers.
Current techniques either cannot be used year-round or are expensive or labour-intensive – one involves producing imitation howls at night and estimating the number of animals in a pack based on the number of responses. Not surprisingly, this can lead to mis-counts.
But now Nottingham Trent University scientists have created a computer programme that analyses the volume and pitch of a howl to identify its owner.
Tested on 67 recordings of ten wild wolves, it was correct 100 per cent of the time. It also accurately recognised individual calls from a chorus.
Previous programmes were wrong one time in four.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/22/article-0-129F38DE000005DC-160_634x415.jpg

Researcher Holly Root-Gutteridge told the BBC: ‘It’s a bit like language: if you put the stress in different places, you form a different sound.’
The study, published in the journal Bioacoustics, recorded eastern grey wolves whose howls can travel up to five miles and are used to defend territory from rivals and to keep in contact with other members of the pack.
Research revealed today also revealed that dolphins have names for each other - and can call each other just like humans, say scientists.
Instead of words like ‘Alan’ or ‘Bert’ they have specific signature whistles for loved ones and social companions - the only animal species apart from ourselves known to do this.
A study of wild bottlenose dolphins off the east coast of Scotland found they responded to their ‘own’ whistles by calling back.
The findings suggest dolphins use signature whistles as labels to address or contact individuals of the same species they meet at sea.
Research revealed today also revealed that dolphins have names for each other - and can call each other just like humans, say scientists. They have specific signature whistles for loved ones and social companions
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2373903/Wolves-unique-singing-voice-identify-howl.html#ixzz2ZxFlT3ZC