PDA

View Full Version : The B-Society

Vulpix
12-23-2008, 07:21 AM
Are you a B-Person? (http://www.b-society.org/)

- Do you love quiet mornings and active evenings?
- Do you feel life is too short for traffic jams?
- Are you at your most productive after 10 am?

Then you might be a B-Person.

[...]
A B-person finds it easy to stay awake in the evening; but has difficulties waking up in the morning – the time where the A-persons are the most active. Each human being has this so-called inner clock, which is regulated by the clock-gene.
A B-person stays awake until late at night – and goes to bed at 1 or 2 a.m. and sleeps a little longer in the morning.
If a B-person and an A-person go to sleep at the same time and rise early the same time next day, their mornings will be experienced differently, as the body-temperature of the A-person is higher than that of the B-person at this point. The B-person has therefore a very good reason for feeling drowsy, as it is still ”night” (”time for sleep”) for the B-person.
[...]

The 10 commandments of B-society (http://www.b-society.org/)

The daily rhythm of each individual is genetically conditioned by heredity. Society needs to be structured to support a diversity of daily rhythms.
We are calling for an uprising against the tyranny of early rising, and for a better world where a diversity of daily rhythms is acknowledged and respected, giving us the opportunity for a better quality of life, more productive working time and major socioeconomic gains once we no longer take up the same space on the same roads at the same time.
We are working for equality between early birds and night owls.
We are working for a more flexible labour market. Each individual's daily rhythm should, as far as possible, govern that person's working life.
We are working for the introduction of collective agreements for early birds and night owls at negotiations for labour market agreements.
We are working for the establishment of day nurseries, kindergartens, primary and secondary schools as well as universities that open between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m, at least.
We are working for more research into daily rhythms.
We grant ”B-certification” on www.b-productive.dk/eng (http://www.b-productive.dk/eng) to businesses, who allow employees to work according to their own daily rhythm, work rhythm and life rhythm.
We are working globally for a better world that supports a diversity of individual daily rhythms, working rhythms and life rhythms.
Imagine how differently society would have turned out if the creators of the world had been night owls!

Are you a B-person/ night owl :)? I certainly am.

Absinthe
12-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Most definetely a B person :coffee:

Oresai
12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
I`m an A person, no doubt about it. :D
A lark, rising in the wee small hours and working, when I am at my most productive. I do crash in the late afternoon though and early evening is worst, where, if I don`t concentrate on more work or moving around, I`ll easily fall asleep.
Mind you, I agree with the quality over quantity of sleep..been a diagnosed insomniac since my teens but have found a few good hours sleep makes so much difference to more bad and disrupted hours.
Sadly, I don`t know any other A people in my vicinity, and I`m very much a lonely lark. :( Everyone around me are owls.

Vulpix
12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
True larks are quite rare; I only know of one "lark" around my age :chin:...

I can't function properly in the mornings (that is, until at least about 1 PM :D!); I am an empty shell of myself on auto-mode. That's a fancy way to say that I'm a zombie in the mornings :D!

I loathe waking up early, it has always been torture :(. I know "torture" will sound exaggerated to some, but waking up early is intrinsically "URGH!" to me :wacko::speechless-smiley-0:fou12001::p.

On the other hand, I can easily stay awake until the wee hours :D! I try not to overdo it as if I need to get up early the next day it will reduce me to an ailing wreck in no time :eek:!... I need my sleep.

In fact, I am more often than not on a "sleep deficit": my night owl tendecies do not allow me to go to bed early enough every night in the week to get as much sleep as I would really need :(. Hence, I sleep away in the weekends...

Arrow Cross
12-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Definately a B, I'm somehow attracted to nighttime. :vampire

That being said, I shock myself awake exactly after 8 hours of sleep with a cruelly well-placed alarm clock that in on my desk, directly below where I'm sleeping.

Oh, and it takes about half a cup of coffee to be properly able to function with a clear mind. Or 10 minutes with an open window.

Vulpix
12-23-2008, 09:44 AM
What's so good about 8 exact hours of sleep :p?

Same here with coffee, coffee helps make mornings more bearable... :coffee::food-smiley-021::coffeebob:

P.S: Nice to know that you do sleep :D! ;);)

Arrow Cross
12-23-2008, 09:50 AM
I heard it's the average need for an average adult person. I can't afford to waste any more time of my life for useless sleeping, but it's ususally cut down to about 6 when I'm working and when it starts in the dawn, or when I get home in the dawn.

HawkR
12-23-2008, 09:56 AM
B-PERSON! Insanely to, but I seldom sleep longer than 11-12am.

Vulpix
12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
That's what I've heard too :). I don't count myself as average though :D.

What if the "conventional wisdom" on sleep needs shifted to say, 7 or 9 hours? My guess is that you would be happy not to waste one more unnecessary hour every night by sleeping :D; while I'm guessing you would continue with your usual 8 hours even if the recommended hours increased :p.

I heard it's the average need for an average adult person..

:laugh::D

I can't afford to waste any more time of my life for useless sleeping.

Absinthe
12-23-2008, 10:08 AM
I have never, ever been a morning person either.

I simply *cannot* function before 10am (at least) and I aslo *cannot* sleep before 2 am.

My most productive hours are between 12 and 3 pm, and then at night time.

At College, I had a hard time attendind those classes that started at 8 or 9. I usually picked classes that started after 12pm, but when this could not be possible, I suffered, having to wake up early, and endure rush hour in Athens. :mad:

I finally managed to pinpoint the specifics of my biological clock:

-I hate waking up when it is still dark outside :( I find that deppressing.

-I don't like waking up too late, either. When I oversleep, I get this sense that "I lost the day", which is equally as frustrating as the sense that "I lost my sleep" :p

-I function well between 11-5 and hence my work schedule should be modified accordingly.

-I like to stay up late and read, when it's quiet and dark, or watch movies, or surf the net when it's extra late. :)

So, being lucky enough to have a 10-6 job, I wake up around 9 and stay outside most of the day. After I'm done with everything, I return home and take the rest of the night to read, surf the net or watch a movie.

P.S. We should be also taking into account that Athens is essentially a nocturnal city, and inner-city Greeks do tend to do everything later.

If I was living in Switzerland, for example, it would be hard to follow my schedule because there wouldn't be much to do outside after 6pm.

But in Athens you can do practically anything at anytime, 24/7.

For example, you can go to the movies at 1am.
Find an eatery at any time of the night.
Many bars stay open until the last client is gone, even on week days.

I guess that's one of the few advantages of living in this overcrowded, multicultural dirthole ;)

P.S. this is dedicated to Arctic Fox and all of our fellow night owls:

Ernest Hemingway "A Clean, Well-lighted Place" (http://www.mrbauld.com/hemclean.html) ;)

With love! :wink

Beorn
12-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Definitely a B-person, but internally wish to be an A-person.

I hate waking up in the morning, but once I have dipped my head under the cold shower and had some Rice Krispies; I am normally alright and up for it.

It used to be okay as I was just a labouring grunt who bossed other labourers around. Physical work doesn't need much brain power of co-ordination so it was easy to exist till the afternoon when I would awake and get a boost of adrenaline.

Now, I have a new career path and it involves actually engaging the brain straight away at work.
I have made a complete arse of myself on many occasions so far, but in my defence it is a new job and a new skill.

I sling cranes and made the stupid decision of lifting a skip with just two chains (I was being lazy) and signalling to the crane driver to take it away.

Suffice to say I got a few choice Anglo-Saxon words and suddenly realised I had only slung one side of the skip.

Doh!

WinterMoon
12-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Sometimes I think I am a little of both. Having been both a stay at home mom and also a working woman, I have had the opportunity to see how I am when allowed to my natural inclinations and also to a forced scheduled day.

My natural inclination has always been to stay up late and sleep in a bit later. When I get on this habit I am quite unproductive and still "waking up" for a good few hours in the morning. When I allow myself these hours, I am most productive at night, and that is when I normally kick into high gear and work on schoolwork until the wee hours of the morning.

On the flip side, I am able to turn in early at nights and get up early in the mornings. When I do this (with an alarm of course), I am most productive in the morning. I spring out of bed quite chipper, and get to work straight off. By mid afternoon I "crash" and am quite unproductive for several hours, but then I get my second wind by evening.

As a side note, no matter which time I wake up, I still hit the wall by mid afternoon each day. I never had that problem in my younger years and it is either from age or from a hereditary disorder that runs in my family which I have not yet been diagnosed properly with (but I display symptoms of).

Skandi
12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
My natural inclination has always been to stay up late and sleep in a bit later. When I get on this habit I am quite unproductive and still "waking up" for a good few hours in the morning. When I allow myself these hours, I am most productive at night, and that is when I normally kick into high gear and work on schoolwork until the wee hours of the morning.

That's me! by inclination I stay up for hours and in fact if there is nothing forcing me to stay "in time" I tend to become totally nocturnal but if I do get up in the morning when the sun rises I tend to be much more productive that day, whatever time I wake up I am instantly awake, although I can't eat for a few hours. :(

Oresai
12-24-2008, 05:22 AM
Seems I`m still a lonely lark....:sad::pout::swl

What if the "conventional wisdom" on sleep needs shifted to say, 7 or 9 hours?

Just recently in Britain scientists posted that those who slept between four and six hours were likely to live longest. :)
On average I sleep four to five hours, less if I`m having an insomniac period. Five hours is my optimum for performance though.
I normally rise around four or five am. The world is hushed around me. I live on an island with under five hundred people, all nicely spaced out around the landscape, so I have no neighbours. I listen to the sound of the North Sea kiss the shore in the dark early hours, or the sigh of the wind murmuring around windows and doors. If it`s mild, I`ll go outdoors and watch the sky...I know the passage of the satellites...:D...and watch the island wake, the sun bleed gold and rose into the ink of the dying night, the wild geese in the fields take to the skies in skeins so many they look like peppercorns thrown into the clouds!
Soon enough, tractors signify that the farm workers, who traditionally claim to be the earliest risers, are at work, and the fishing boats in the harbour fire up their engines and head out to deeper waters.
By then, I`ve usually put in a few hours work. :)
So I can take a leisurely breakfast as others rub sleep from half shut eyes, and have had the experience of waking with the island all to myself.
Maybe being a lark isn`t so bad after all. ;)

Oresai
12-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Was wondering...if you took away electricity, how many people would naturally be night owls? :)
No tv/internet/phone/barsandclubs/cars batteries eventually need charged and most cars have electrical gizmos in them nowadays to make them run)

so.....even if you had oil lamps to read by, without the rest, even the cd player to listen to music by, how many more would simply go to bed when it gets dark and rise with the dawn? :D

HawkR
12-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I would most likely do so, and I even wish it was like this, cause then people would need to learn how to play instrumenst, like me, I'm learning how to play a violin, sounds like a drowned cat now, but in a year or two, who knows?

Albion
04-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Was wondering...if you took away electricity, how many people would naturally be night owls? :)
No tv/internet/phone/barsandclubs/cars batteries eventually need charged and most cars have electrical gizmos in them nowadays to make them run)

so.....even if you had oil lamps to read by, without the rest, even the cd player to listen to music by, how many more would simply go to bed when it gets dark and rise with the dawn? :D

If that were the case I'd probably go bed when the sun went down and get up at sunrise.
Summer is sort of messed up though, at Northern latitudes it is light here until a bit after half ten here on some nights in summer and it gets latter the further north you go. It must be quite extraordinary in Orkney, Shetland or Scandinavia on such nights.

I'm more of a B person myself but it's mainly because I go bed late. I think when you're a kid you tend to be A and then as a teen and adult you become B and then as you age towards retirement I think it goes back to A.
I notice a lot of old people get up very early.

Vixen
04-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Most definately a B.
I´m rarely awake before noon or asleep before 2 am.

Kazimiera
04-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Most definitely a B-person! Nightowl!

Luckily I have a job where I can work night shift. Everyone always falls asleep except me. I go to work at 6.30pm and I come home at 7am. I have something to drink and then I go to bed. Wake up again at 5pm. So on average I get 9 hours a night.

Working day shift for me is hell. I cannot go to sleep early and when I get up I feel like a zombie. I normally get about 6 hours in if I'm working day and its just not enough. I start feeling better at about 1pm.

Drawing-slim
04-15-2012, 02:15 AM
I dont know where i fit in this.
Usualy i never go to sleep before 5-6 in the morning. Sometimes later but not earlier, unless i being wake and skiped a days of sleep, i i do aften when i have to take care of bills stuff etc during the day.
It is the safest bet i can make that not anyone my age has ever been wake during night time in total life-time hours then me.
I'd be willing to bet my life on it.

Óttar
04-15-2012, 02:22 AM
I can't get up early without getting acid reflux. My circadian rhythm is set to freak out in the early morning, thus inducing acid (cortisol is a stress hormone that regulates acid, it cannot operate both functions at once.) At night time, I feel peaceful and never get sick.

Anarch
04-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Definitely a B person. It's now half an hour past midnight on Tuesday morning and I haven't been asleep since midday on Sunday. I feel fine :D

Europa
04-16-2012, 03:06 PM
No,I am type A:coffee:

Tannhauser
10-14-2020, 02:04 AM
Definately a B person.

Radimir
10-14-2020, 02:10 AM
I sleep in the day and stay awake in the night. So, I guess I am a B person but I don't go to bed 2 a.m., I go much later.

stellan
10-14-2020, 02:17 AM
Definitely B

Celestia
10-14-2020, 02:28 AM
Type B. Most people on forums are type B lol

Rædwald
10-14-2020, 02:31 AM
B.

Parça do Neymar
10-15-2020, 04:11 AM
Absolutely.