PDA

View Full Version : Pacifist Japan no more? Tokyo to consider pre-emptive strike strategy

Furnace
07-25-2013, 10:17 PM
http://rt.com/files/news/1f/e0/40/00/japan-pre-emptive-strike-doctrine.si.jpg
Japanese Army soldiers (AFP Photo / Yoshikazu Tsuno)

An interim report to be discussed by PM Shinzo Abe’s government suggests that a fundamental change in Japan’s military defense doctrine may be coming: a pre-emptive strike strategy against potential aggressors.

Abe's government is revising its defense policies, with an interim report due on Friday, while the final conclusions on the matter will be made by the end of 2013. The study explores the ways to “strengthen the ability to deter and respond to ballistic missiles,” Japanese media revealed on Thursday.

However, the report prepared by Japan’s Defense Ministry reportedly does not mention by what measures would be taken against foreign military bases if a threat became imminent.

Source: Russia Today (http://rt.com/news/japan-pre-emptive-strikes-564/)

Something is brewing down there, Japan has territorial disputes with China, Russia, Taiwan, Korea, etc. I assume this is a way to show muscles.

Incal
07-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Good for Japan.

Hayalet
07-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Good for the USA.
Fixed.

To take part in international projects, Japan has already had to ease its self-imposed ban on weapons exports. Now the leaders of Japanese military industrial complex, giants like Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd, and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd, await clear guidelines for the promotion of their military business overseas.

Because Japan has been stretching the limits of Article 9 for decades, some say the change is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. And since there have been no negative remarks on Japan’s military development coming from Washington, it could mean that Abe’s team is transforming nation’s military in a direction not incompatible with the US.

The potential threats Japan might face at the moment come from the Asian continent.

China not only has world’s largest army, but has been dramatically modernizing its military forces over the last decade. Pyongyang is an old adversary of Washington, rivaling American dominance in the Pacific. As for Japan, it has territorial disputes over the Senkaku Islands (Diaoyu in Chinese tradition) with China, meaning that Washington’s and Tokyo’s interests coincide.

On the other hand North Korea, that strives to achieve a nuclear power status, has been openly threatening Tokyo with destroying US military bases on Japanese territory.

Freeroostah
07-25-2013, 11:16 PM
A great war is coming and Im afraid we are all gonna live it... :rolleyes2:

Furnace
07-25-2013, 11:28 PM
A great war is coming and Im afraid we are all gonna live it... :rolleyes2:

Yes, I am afraid the shit is gonna hit the fan in a not so distant future.. most economical crises have ended with a major war, if you study recent history. It's both scary and interesting to watch how the pieces are being played out.

Anglojew
07-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Sounds more like a war against North Korea than China.

Melina
07-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Yes, I am afraid the shit is gonna hit the fan in a not so distant future.. most economical crises have ended with a major war, if you study recent history. It's both scary and interesting to watch how the pieces are being played out.

After economic crisis war always comes next. Look at world War I and World War 2. After the great depression the U.S decided to go to war. Then look at post world War 2. The economy in the U.S has risen dramatically while Germany's economy fell. Enjoy this "peace" we have while it lasts.

Furnace
07-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Sounds more like a war against North Korea than China.

It's one of the reasons probably, but Japan has been wrestling with China over various issues for a long time:

Chinese and Japanese ships cluster around disputed islands (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/23/world/asia/japan-china-disputed-islands)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-lAk-9DNw

And don't forget the strife in ww2.

Kazimiera
07-26-2013, 01:01 AM
World War 3 is on its way.

But what makes it particularly scary is biological and chemical warfare.

In the end it is always the civilians who suffer. The ones who start the wars sit in their little palaces watching the misery they create on expensive TV screens.

Ultra
07-26-2013, 01:09 AM
A World War 3 feels quite distant to me, other than that some European nations will be in "fixed" chaos as a result of multiculturalism sooner or later. But then again, I don't think people anticipated a world war prior to WW1 and WW2 during the first half of the 20th century either. :rolleyes: