PDA

View Full Version : Day of mourning in Serbia for killed French fan

Svarog
10-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Serbia will observe an official day of mourning after today’s death of the French national beaten in Serbia by soccer hooligans.

On September 17, a group of Serbian hooligans attacked French fans who were in a Belgrade pub enjoying a cocktail before the European cup match between Belgrade Partisan and the French Toulouse.
Brice Taton

In the attack, one French fan, Brice Taton, was severally beaten and has died earlier this morning after succumbing to his multiple wounds.

“I was trembling over the French citizen’s fate,” Serbian President Boris Tadic said while in the visit to Slovenia.

Many in Serbia have been outraged at the attack on the French national.

Ordinary Serbians have been dropping flowers and lighting up candles in front of the French Embassy in Belgrade asking France for forgiveness.

The Minister for Youth and Sports, Snezana Samardzic took part in lighting a candle at the French Embassy.

Taton killers to be charged with aggravated murder
30 September 2009 | 09:26 -> 13:10 | Source: B92

BELGRADE -- The public prosecutor has upgraded the charges against those accused of the attack on Brice Taton to aggravated murder, a District Court spokesman confirmed.

The victim’s parents were questioned today at the Belgrade District Court as part of the investigation against those accused of their son’s murder.

Taton’s parents were questioned by the District Court investigative judge in the presence of an interpreter from the French embassy in Belgrade.

Visibly shaken, Taton’s parents did not wish to give any statements to the media after questioning. The District Court has ordered an autopsy to be carried out on the body of the Frenchman, who died yesterday from the injuries sustained when he was attacked by a gang of hooligans in central Belgrade on September 17.

A day of mourning has been declared in Belgrade following Taton's death.

All institutions in Belgrade have lowered their flags to half-mast today. Employees in companies were entitled to hold a minute’s silence, while in educational institutions, a minute’s silence was held during the first period of the day.

Hooligans assaulted Taton on September 17 in Obilićev Venac in central Belgrade, hours before the Partizan-Toulouse Europa Cup match.

11 suspects were arrested after the attack, 10 of whom were remanded in custody, while the other was released on bail.

The ten were accused of attempted murder, which will now be upgraded to premeditated murder, which carries a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison.

Even tho I do usually refuse to take a collective guilt for what someone else did just because he is the same nation as i am, i do feel guilty and especially sad because of this, i am the fan of Partizan Belgrade myself and also was on that very game, cowardice attacks like this is what made my club looks bad and football in generally, the sad fact is that no one gives a shit about violence until someone dies, then everyone makes a big deal but don't really do anything, and this is not only Serbian problem but in most of Europe, I've been attacked in other countries by other clubs fans, and no wonder less and less people actually goes to the games, mafia in clubs and violence on the stands, sounds appealing? Too bad we don't have a death penalty :mad:

RIP

Tabiti
10-02-2009, 10:04 AM
You shouldn't feel guilty because the retardness of group of people you happen to have one common interest.
On the other hand, football is not something worth to fight for/die.

Poltergeist
10-02-2009, 10:44 AM
It can happen anywhere in the world, wherever there are crazed football fans. And there is no way to prevent it. Unless one wants to ban all football firms altogether, or to always keep fans from different clubs physically separated whenever there is a match somewhere, which is hardly possible.

Absinthe
10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Now that is Hutu-Tutsi behavior if I ever saw one. People killing each other over some stupid football team that profits from that sort of thing.

Next time you (not you, Svarog :p) think about beating a random stranger to death, ask yourself: where does the aggression come from? And who benefits from it. :rolleyes:

Svarog
10-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Absinthe, that'd be possible only if those people were actually able to think

Tho, among arrested, one person is an architecture and two are law students :S

Absinthe
10-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Tho, among arrested, one person is an architecture and two are law students :S

That is irrelevant, thinking does not necessarily have to do with socioeconomic status (actually most often it doesn't ;)).

I see this sort of thing (football and hooligans) as a self-defence mechanism of the system, that serves the purpose of channeling the aggression of people that are unhappy with the system, against each other and not against the system itself.

Think about it, if it weren't football fans killing each other because they need to take it out on someone, then it could have been just regular citizens rioting on the streets, burning banks and government buildings and demanding social justice.

In this way, modern societies have found the perfect way to ensure that such things will never occur. Everyone waits for the football match on Sunday so that they can take it out on their "enemy" ;)

Äike
10-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Killing someone because he supports an other football club, that's plain idiocy.

The only thing worth fighting for, is your family and your country.

Guapo
10-06-2009, 04:35 AM
Nothing new in the Balkans. Watch them go at it in Bosnia where one person was killed.

Edit:I'm not sure if this was ethnically motivated.Muslim vs Croat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpwViwA2P1Q

Svarog
10-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Two that I remember of, I was present on the second one

Partizan Belgrade - Dinamo Zagreb in Switzerland - several dead

4gHRz9eds_Q

Zrinjski Mostar - Partizan Belgrade - several badly injured

648BiXn0mzU

Poltergeist
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Nothing new in the Balkans. Watch them go at it in Bosnia where one person was killed.

Edit:I'm not sure if this was ethnically motivated.Muslim vs Croat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpwViwA2P1Q

One football club is from the Croat area, the other club is from the Muslim/Bosniak area. So the first thing that comes to someone's mind upon learning of this incident is that it must be ethnically motivated. And even if it isn't, it will be perceived as such in much of Bosnia.

Svarog
10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Both Partizan and Crvena Zvezda are Serbian clubs and they fight all the time, same as Wisla - Legia, CSKA Moscow - Spartak Moscow, Paris SG - Olympic M, Manchester UTD - Liverpool, R.Madrid - Barcelona, Lazio - Roma etc and they also fight all the time, different ethnic groups just gives those morons a reason to act even worse then they usually would.