PDA

View Full Version : Your View on the Purpose of Life?

Pontios
07-31-2013, 04:14 PM
A very often question I hear asked... :lol:

What is your view on the purpose of life, what do you plan on accomplishing in this life, or what you believe is the purpose of your/our existence... :confused:

I think it is interesting to see what people respond to this based on their religion especially or political views as well perhaps.

wvwvw
07-31-2013, 04:20 PM
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”
Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)

Guapo
07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence”

Smart guy

SilverKnight
07-31-2013, 04:25 PM
There's no define purpose, you make your own purpose.

Pontios
07-31-2013, 04:26 PM
There's no define purpose, you make your own purpose.

I like that, but what is YOUR purpose, what you see it as? :lol: There has to be some purpose that we all have, otherwise what is the point of going and streaming for something.

Lithium
07-31-2013, 04:30 PM
We have a limitless imagination, this gives us the possibility to find our own purpose in life. I live for my family, having a stable family and children is my main goal in life.

Smaug
07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Eat and reproduce, pretty much like any animal.

wvwvw
07-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Smart guy

Yes, although you don't need to be a genious to figure that out :biggrin:

Graham
07-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Fuckall.. start, life, death end, start, life, death

1stLightHorse
07-31-2013, 08:03 PM
To struggle and fight. For me, that's where happiness comes from.

If you go through each day with a high level of intensity, no matter what you do, at the end of the day when it's time to wind-down and the endorphins are flowing, that's happiness. Everyone has the ability to be happy even if they're cleaning shit.

DarkSecret
07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
To find the true religion or to be sure that there is no God...

Dombra
07-31-2013, 08:05 PM
You make your own purpose

I happen to change my opinions quite often since there is no purpose stucking with one solution

gregorius
07-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Purpose is to get offsprings and try to make the world a better place for them.

You'll understand it when you have children, I dont have children but I already understand it cuz im super ;):cool: :laugh:

Hevo
07-31-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.positiwitty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/purpose-of-life.jpg

Pontios
07-31-2013, 08:24 PM
I always found my purpose simple...

Religiously, to live under God and obey His Laws and to aim to go to Heaven in the next life. That is my main priority in life, nothing else matters. The main purpose of life is not to quite enjoy it, although yes we can have fun as well, but the main purpose is to see who is worthy for God's Kingdom.

Other things after religion that are a goal and a purpose for me is to get settled, get married, have kids, educate them, teach them our heritage, culture, and traditions so they don't grow up like animals without any of that, and teach them to do the same to their kids.

Shah-Jehan
07-31-2013, 09:33 PM
To serve God and spread his word to everyone and everywhere...

Germanicus
07-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Life is a cycle of birth and death, the atoms in your body will be recycled into new life, hopefully my atoms will be reborn into a new member of my family.

Methmatician
08-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Sorry, but chances are that there is no meaning and that life was simply a 1 in a billion thing.

Lemon Kush
08-01-2013, 01:36 AM
To reproduce

Útrám
08-01-2013, 01:37 AM

SilverKnight
08-01-2013, 05:03 AM
I like that, but what is YOUR purpose, what you see it as? :lol: There has to be some purpose that we all have, otherwise what is the point of going and streaming for something.

good question

Contribute to the countries I been raised (america, DR) , as well as my local community, bits by bits. Work hard to achieve what I want for me and my family and live happy with the and gain more knowdlge about life and the universe everytday , that's all I need :) some other people need only this -> $$ Is not just about that . : b

Sblast
08-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Does life has significance? of course it does, people and communities see, give and create significance to life.
The purpose of life? achieve your goals. There is no a-priori purpose to life because there isn't any one to there to assign it (and no, Evolution does not assign purpose, anthropomorphising Evolution is like saying an equation is feeling down).
Why confuse that with ethics (what one ought to do/how we ought to live) I have no idea --- and as far as religion goes, it doesn't answer this question. Religious meta-ethics is a failure.

Illancha
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Happiness? No, certainly not!

Contentment sounds more like it.

anto
08-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Life uhm. very abstract question. Indeed I believe we create life every second, minute, month, year, and when we reach the final point, we can say, this was my life. So we are the main builders of our destiny.

larali
08-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Don't know. I'm very jaded right now.

Sarmatian
08-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Do we even know what life is? How it's started? By random chemical reaction or by the will of higher power? Or is there something else behind it?

If we don't have a final answer on the question of life it is impossible to find out its purpose. We will end up with chaotic chorus of personal opinions.

We can narrow the question by asking 'What is the purpose of humans?' But do we really know what humans are?.. :p

Blackout
08-22-2013, 01:12 AM
I always found my purpose simple...

Religiously, to live under God and obey His Laws and to aim to go to Heaven in the next life. That is my main priority in life, nothing else matters. The main purpose of life is not to quite enjoy it, although yes we can have fun as well, but the main purpose is to see who is worthy for God's Kingdom.

Other things after religion that are a goal and a purpose for me is to get settled, get married, have kids, educate them, teach them our heritage, culture, and traditions so they don't grow up like animals without any of that, and teach them to do the same to their kids.

Could not have said it any better.

Proctor
08-22-2013, 01:18 AM
My goal in life is to do as much as I can so that Europeans do not go extinct, but as for me personally, I hope to get married, move to Europe, raise kids, and live a happy life living off in a rural area, that would be paradise to me. Since I can't deny or approve the existence of a god, that thought will always be in the back of my head, I just hope there is something, it would suck if we die and it's just nothingness for the rest of eternity.

blklady2013
08-27-2013, 01:46 AM
To reach as high as you can and bring as many people there as possible.

armenianbodyhair
08-27-2013, 01:57 AM
To make progress but preserve who we are at the same time, because one is dependent on the other.

Krampus
08-27-2013, 02:00 AM
my happiness is being successful in life. not just, with money, but with my family.

knowledge_cat
09-23-2013, 12:17 AM
the purpose of life is that there isn't one. life has no purpose for you. you have a purpose for your life. you make a purpose by getting a career or job or being satisfied at something through spirituality. everyone's purpose to their life is subjective.

cally
09-23-2013, 12:26 AM

I agree

Mason8
09-23-2013, 09:52 AM
A very often question I hear asked... :lol:

What is your view on the purpose of life, what do you plan on accomplishing in this life, or what you believe is the purpose of your/our existence... :confused:

To some degree, I think the purpose of every person's life is different, and only they can discover what it might be.

But to some degree, I think we all should have some common goals, like tikkun olam-- trying to improve the lot of the poor, the oppressed, and the vulnerable, trying to push the world a little closer to peace and tolerance, etc. I also think one purpose in life is to discover the holy in all things and all people, and thereby to more greatly experience the holiness of the Creator.

But it's not just damage control-- trying to fix what is broken, trying to repair what has gone wrong-- it's adding something positive. Maybe what a person adds is something pragmatic and utilitarian, like building houses or helping run a business, or being a research scientist; maybe it's something more inspirational, like working for a nonprofit organization, or a social action group, or teaching school; maybe it's something completely creative, like making art of various kinds. But all those things have the potential to be positive additions to the world, venues for enriching humanity with beauty and aid and comfort. The important thing isn't necessarily what one does every day, but how one does it, and why one does it, and how doing it makes one feel, and how it enables us to act towards others.

Alexander20
11-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I think that most people today lose sight of the purpose of life. With all the distractions we have today and antisocial influences in entertainment and politics it skews ones perceptions. Most people are forced to act out their lives as a means to other peoples goods myself included. While this is not always a bad thing, I think the important thing to take away and apply to life is that one should seek their own ultimate happiness and LEAD their own lives without coercion.

Jackson
11-08-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't know. I feel that i have been fortunate or unfortunate to have been born preceding a real turning point. Whether there is anything of historical note that i will make in it or not i don't know, or whether good or bad will come out of the coming crises, but i can only sit and watch at the moment. I'd like to do something important, to leave my mark on the world, but whether that is possible or likely i do not know. At least i hope that someone will take the paths i would do if i was in their position.

alb0zfinest
11-08-2013, 01:41 AM
Basically do good, be good, and make the world a little better then it was the day before.

armenianbodyhair
11-08-2013, 01:46 AM
To be the change you want to see in the world...

Incal
11-08-2013, 01:49 AM

This.

Óttar
11-08-2013, 01:58 AM
I want to be at least a small blip in the Dewey Decimal System of the Library of Congress. I want someone to think, however briefly, hundreds of years after my death, "Who was Ottar?"

Otherwise, I want to find a cute, smart, girl whose feet I can massage for the rest of my life. :thumbs

FaeAus
11-12-2013, 06:30 AM
To learn, make some impact on the life/lives of others, have babies, experience the full spectrum of human emotion, and enjoy the richness and beauty of the universe around us. I'm all about going with your human nature, rather than trying to fight it, and just getting on with things. :)

Ultra
11-12-2013, 06:39 AM
TO BE RICH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOeH1uW0KU

FaeAus
11-12-2013, 06:57 AM
TO BE RICH.

That'd be sweet too.

Also
11-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Live and let die.