PDA

View Full Version : EU fines Russia for refusing to "recognize" Scientology as a religion

anonymaus
10-02-2009, 11:03 PM
The European Court for Human Rights has fined Russia for refusing to register Scientology churches in the cities of Surgut and Nizhnekamsk as religious groups.

The Strasbourg court’s statement says the country has broken Articles 9 and 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights and must pay €10,000 for punitive damages and another €10,000 in legal costs.

Read more
The scientologist community in Russia is estimated at 100,000 people. Their spokesperson says the ruling was a long time in coming.

“We have waited for this decision for more than eight years, and never doubted it would be in our favor,” said Nina de Castro. “We have big plans for Russia. Currently we have about 40 groups and we hope all of them will soon be recognized as churches.”

The Scientology church was registered in the Siberian city of Surgut back in 1994 as a non-governmental organization, but it was soon banned for performing religious activities. They repeated their registration attempt as an NGO in 1999, but without success. The authorities also refused their effort to gain legal status as a religious organization in 2000.

Source (http://www.russiatoday.com/Top_News/2009-10-02/russia-fined-refusing-recognize.html?fullstory)

This is absolutely insane. I hope this will not affect any change in the Russian position toward this scheming cult.

A present from me to the EU:

http://lohandbehold.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/up-yours.jpg

The Lawspeaker
10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
A present that I agree with. Scientology is not a religion. I am all in favor of human rights and freedom of religion etc but Scientology is (like the Catholic Church) not a religion but an elaborate pyramid scheme dressed up as a religion.

Skandi
10-02-2009, 11:08 PM
since when did the EU have the right to fine a country that is not a member?

Loki
10-02-2009, 11:09 PM
This raises the question of "what is a religion?".

The Lawspeaker
10-02-2009, 11:10 PM
since when did the EU have the right to fine a country that is not a member?
Even better question. Russia is not a EU-member nor did it sign certain treaties so it does not fall under EU-jurisdiction.

(Whatever the value of that may be anyways).

Hweinlant
10-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Russia also denied Ingrian Lutheran Church (because of nationalist extremism). Now they can continue if they work together with milise and army.. You know what it means.. Gremlins want to destroy last pieces of the Lutheran Finnishess from Russia.

http://www.inkerinkirkko.fi./

Motörhead Remember Me
10-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Only state approved religions allowed in the "Great Prison of Nations".

(Is the EU going to fine me for confessing to Cargo Cult?)

Basil
10-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Russia also denied Ingrian Lutheran Church (because of nationalist extremism). Now they can continue if they work together with milise and army.. You know what it means.. Gremlins want to destroy last pieces of the Lutheran Finnishess from Russia.

http://www.inkerinkirkko.fi./

What a nonsense. But I'm not surprised.
Lutherans co-operate with police and army just because they are interested in having more stronger impact on Russian society and they apparently don't have any troubles with authorities. I hope you won't insist that Ingrian church site contains something not corresponding with my words.
Well, guys, I know it's difficult but you should try to understand that making all your paranoid fantasies public is not encouraged everywhere outside Finland. Ok?

Nationalitist
10-03-2009, 02:04 PM
This just prooves that so-called "human rights" should be rejected, together with freedom of religion.

I am all in favor of human rights and freedom of religion etc

Another proof that you're Zeropean.

Hors
10-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeeh, he exposed himself as Zeropean once again

Btw, Cloggy, are you in favor of tolerance of gay "culture" and gay "marriages"?

Mc Queen
10-03-2009, 02:13 PM
n addition to violating and abusing its own members' civil rights, the organization [Scientology] over the years with its "Fair Game" doctrine has harassed and abused those persons not in the Church whom it perceives as enemies. The organization clearly is schizophrenic and paranoid, and the bizarre combination seems to be a reflection of its founder LRH [L. Ron Hubbard]. The evidence portrays a man who has been virtually a pathological liar when it comes to his history, background, and achievements. The writings and documents in evidence additionally reflect his egoism, greed, avarice, lust for power, and vindictiveness and aggressiveness against persons perceived by him to be disloyal or hostile. At the same time it appears that he is charismatic and highly capable of motivating, organizing, controlling, manipulating, and inspiring his adherents.

Superior Court Judge Paul Breckinridge, Church of Scientology of California vs. Gerald Armstrong

http://www.planetkc.com/sloth/sci/breck.html

RoyBatty
10-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Scientology is a cult. Either way, hopefully Russia will ignore this Zeropean nonsense. Hopefully the Russian Authorities will find or invent reasons to take action against the personnel and properties of the Scientologists and Evangelical cults, SOON!

Both sets of cockroaches need stepping on.

RoyBatty
10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I still believe that homosexuality is a mental disorder which should be treated.
Lately I read somewhere that it could be a hormonal disorder which means that with the right hormone therapy it should be treatable.

I'm sceptical about this. Imo it's not really something that is "treatable" or changeable and my guess is that it would involve significant brainwashing and / or drugs which will again have undesireable side-effects.

Imo it's not fair to try and "cure" people of what they are. This is what barbaric and medieval societies engaged in.

I'm not pro-homosexuality but am of the opinion that they (and people in general) should be left alone to work out and live with their own issues. If they wanted or asked for help in dealing with their lives, of course this should also be available.

The Lawspeaker
10-03-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm sceptical about this. Imo it's not really something that is "treatable" or changeable and my guess is that it would involve significant brainwashing and / or drugs which will again have undesireable side-effects.
Well.. it seems to be a genuine mental disorder and was treated as such before the PC brigade stepped in during the 1970s and 1980s.

Imo it's not fair to try and "cure" people of what they are. This is what barbaric and medieval societies engaged in.

Very well. Taken out of mainstream society then. To places where they can be themselves. Sanatoriums, mental institutions etc.

I'm not pro-homosexuality but am of the opinion that they (and people in general) should be left alone to work out and live with their own issues. If they wanted or asked for help in dealing with their lives, of course this should also be available.
I disagree. The general public here is exposed to homosexuality on tv and in the press. Even political figures and action groups try to make sure that it can penetrate as far as the religious education system.

It is not a normal thing but an illness and should be treated as such.

RoyBatty
10-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't personally agree with it or condone it but again, other people's business is their business and provided they don't go around trying to turn society upon its head, claim special rights and priviliges for themselves or force the public to endure them making a spectacle of themselves it really doesn't matter what they get up to in their spare time.

The danger with wanting to "cure" all kinds of "deviants" is that it could soon and very easily be extended and extended to include more and more people who don't conform to the arbitrary rules of "normality" invented by the local government. Pretty soon all kinds of people will be undergoing "treatments" for all sorts of conditions. Scary stuff.

The most ideal societies are those where people are left alone by the State and where the State doesn't interfere in their lives but where the State also ensures that law, order, civility and so forth is respected. I don't believe in "tolerance" though. It shouldn't be tolerated that people start behaving like morons in public just because they can get away with it. In these types of cases I support strong action by the State against the disruptors.

The Lawspeaker
10-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't personally agree with it or condone it but again, other people's business is their business and provided they don't go around trying to turn society upon its head, claim special rights and priviliges for themselves or force the public to endure them making a spectacle of themselves it really doesn't matter what they get up to in their spare time.

The danger with wanting to "cure" all kinds of "deviants" is that it could soon and very easily be extended and extended to include more and more people who don't conform to the arbitrary rules of "normality" invented by the local government. Pretty soon all kinds of people will be undergoing "treatments" for all sorts of conditions. Scary stuff.

The most ideal societies are those where people are left alone by the State and where the State doesn't interfere in their lives but where the State also ensures that law, order, civility and so forth is respected. I don't believe in "tolerance" though. It shouldn't be tolerated that people start behaving like morons in public just because they can get away with it. In these types of cases I support strong action by the State against the disruptors.
There you have a good point. As long as they don't take it out in the open no one is hurt. But when they do there should be swift corrective action.
Something like Gay Pride would also be made to disappear if all subsidies would be cut.

RoyBatty
10-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I definitely agree with you there. It's insane and outright wrong that public money be used to fund and even worse, promote this nonsense. Fags usually have lots of money. They can pay for their own damn parties. (Provided they hold them out of sight in their dungeons of course) :thumb001:

Hrolf Kraki
10-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Russia should tell the EU to f*ck off. I sincerely hope Russia doesn't stoop to paying this silly fine. They do that and they show they're less powerful since they seem to have to take orders from the EU.

Hors
10-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Actually it's not the EU. It's a completely different international body. I believe that membership of Russia in The European Court for Human Rights plays a tremendously positive role when it comes to search of truth/justice for ordinary Russians.

The court's numerous verdicts blaming fascist states of Latvia and Estonia for their inhumane discrimination of their Russian population also should not be forgotten.

RoyBatty
10-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Russia should tell the EU to f*ck off. I sincerely hope Russia doesn't stoop to paying this silly fine. They do that and they show they're less powerful since they seem to have to take orders from the EU.

I doubt they'll pay anything, lol. :thumb001:

anonymaus
10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Actually it's not the EU. It's a completely different international body. I believe that membership of Russia in The European Court for Human Rights plays a tremendously positive role when it comes to search of truth/justice for ordinary Russians.

The court's numerous verdicts blaming fascist states of Latvia and Estonia for their inhumane discrimination of their Russian population also should not be forgotten.

I did know it was the ECHR, but that's an outgrowth of the CoE which I always understood to be similar but not identical to the EU; I also was under the impression Russia didn't accede to the ECHR's authority in general. My mistake. :thumb001:

Hrolf Kraki
10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2245015/human_rights_court_turns_up_heat_for.html

What has Russia´s response been? Who the hell does this ECHR organization thing they are?? They don´t control nations.

RoyBatty
10-05-2009, 07:03 PM
The applicants in the case hailed from the Tatarstan Republic in western Russia

Simple solution. Introduce them to Allah's tender mercies! :thumb001: