PDA

View Full Version : Shimon Peres: Russia gave the Jews the ability to preserve their identity

RussiaPrussia
08-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Shimon Peres: Russia gave the Jews the ability to preserve their identity (http://myfutureamerica.org/?p=1025)

According to the President of Israel, Russia deserves the thanks for allowing Jews to live for centuries in its territory, while maintaining their language and national traditions.
TEL AVIV, February 8 – RIA Novosti.
President Shimon Peres insisted that Russia deserves the thanks for allowing Jews to live for centuries in its territory, while maintaining their language and national traditions.When the head of state, who was last year on a visit to Moscow, Russia publicly said “thank you for a thousand years of hospitality,” many accused him of ignoring the facts of discrimination of the Jewish population of the Russian Empire and then the Soviet Union.Speaking on Thursday in Tel Aviv, Peres made clear that he does not take the words back, even though he knows that not all agree with them.
“I feel … gratitude to Russia. Many people say, do not forget the massacres. We will not forget the riots, but I also remember that (in Russia we) were able to lead the Jewish way of life, to learn Hebrew. I’ll never forget that, thanks this country eventually was defeated the worst enemy of human history – Hitler “- said Peres, when he was awarded as ” Man of legend ” by the Russian-language Israeli television, Channel Nine.

In a brief acceptance speech the 89-year-old president spoke highly of the Jew-natives of the USSR and Russia, noting their “depth, beauty and amazing personality.” Peres said, he was born in what is now Belarus. He spoke in Hebrew, but, he said, only because ” he would not be sure whether everyone (in the audience) understands Russian.”