PDA

View Full Version : U$ deploying jets around Asia to keep China surrounded

PeasantAndWorker
08-08-2013, 12:53 AM
The United States Air Force will dramatically expand its military presence across the Pacific this year, sending jets to Thailand, India, Singapore and Australia, according to the service's top general in the region.

For a major chunk of America's military community, the so-called "pivot to Asia" might seem like nothing more than an empty catchphrase, especially with the Middle East once again in flames. But for the Air Force at least, the shift is very real. And the idea behind its pivot is simple: ring China with U.S. and allied forces, just like the West did to the Soviet Union, back in the Cold War.

U.S. military officials constantly say they aren't trying to contain China; they're working with the Chinese and other Pacific nations to "maintain stability" in the region. Still, a ring of bases looks an awful lot like something we've seen before.

In Australia, for example, the Air Force will dispatch "fighters, tankers, and at some point in the future, maybe bombers on a rotational basis," said Gen. Herbert "Hawk" Carlisle, chief of U.S. Air Force operations in the Pacific, during a breakfast with reporters in Washington this week. The jets will likely start their Australian presence sometime in the next year at the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) base at Darwin (already crowded with Marines), before moving to nearby RAAF Base Tindal, according to the four-star general.

This is just the start of the Air Force's plan to expand its presence in Asia, according to Carlisle. In addition to the Australian deployments, the Air Force will be sending jets to Changi East air base in Singapore, Korat air base in Thailand, a site in India, and possibly bases at Kubi Point and Puerto Princesa in the Philippines and airfields in Indonesia and Malaysia.
http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/us-deploying-jets-around-asia-to-keep-china-surrounded-1.232928

1stLightHorse
08-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Baluarte made a similar thread that i commented on. I see them every morning at around 3am when i go running (i live on the east coast). They're training pretty intensively, at least 3-4 mornings a week now.