PDA

View Full Version : We all know they're contagious, but yawns can spread from human to DOGS too

wvwvw
08-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Scientists discover more evidence that canines really are man's best friend
Study shows dogs are far more sensitive to genuine yawns from humans
Japanese scientists believe this suggests a rudimentary form of empathy
A closer social bond was found to make dogs more responsive to yawns
By NICK MCDERMOTT
PUBLISHED: 21:06 GMT, 7 August 2013

Dog owners will often swear that their four-legged friend understands exactly how they feel.
And now researchers have suggested that far from reading too much into their pet’s actions, they may well be right.
Not only do dogs yawn when humans do, they are much more likely to do so if that person is their master.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/07/article-0-1B30E349000005DC-114_634x416.jpg
A new study shows how the irresistible impulse to yawn can even spread between humans and their dogs. According to researchers in Japan this could be an indication of empathy

Scientists say this behaviour reveals that dogs have a human-like ability to show empathy – the capacity to identify with another’s feeling.
Lead researcher Dr Teresa Romero said: ‘Our study suggests that contagious yawning in dogs is emotionally connected in a way similar to humans.
‘Although our study cannot determine the exact underlying mechanism operative in dogs, the subjects’ physiological measures taken during the study allowed us to counter the alternative hypothesis of yawning as a distress response.’

For the study, published in the journal Public Library of Science ONE, the Japanese team from the University of Tokyo recruited 25 dogs and their owners.
Dogs watched their owner, or a stranger, yawn or mimic yawning mouth movements, while having their heart rate monitored.
The researchers found that the dogs yawned significantly more in response to their owners’ actions than to the strangers’.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/07/article-2386395-1B313805000005DC-997_634x414.jpg
Dogs were much more likely to yawn in response to their owner yawning than the actions of a stranger. The dogs were also far more sensitive to genuine yawns

They were also far more sensitive to genuine yawns, and yawned significantly less often after seeing fake movements.
One possible explanation for the behaviour is that it is a tension-releasing reaction to mild stress. But the animals were found to have maintained a constant heartbeat during the test which, combined with their heightened response to their owners’ actions, suggests they are reflecting their master’s feelings.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/07/article-0-1B30EA6F000005DC-935_306x371.jpg
In non-human primates, the phenomenon of contagious yawning has been observed in chimpanzees, bonobos, and gelada baboons

The researchers concluded: ‘Our findings are consistent with the view that contagious yawning ... may indicate that rudimentary forms of empathy could be present in domesticated dogs.’ During the testing sessions two cameras were used to record the dogs’ responses.

Owners called their dogs by name, made eye contact with them and then yawned or made a yawning movement.
Four test sessions lasting five minutes were conducted, involving either a real or fake yawn by an owner or a stranger. At the same time, the dogs’ heart rates were monitored using a device strapped to their chests.

In the human world it is known that contagious yawning affects around half of all adults, yet the causes remain unclear.
Among animals, the phenomenon has been observed not only in dogs but also in chimpanzees, bonobo monkeys, and gelada baboons.

And like humans, they are more responsive to yawns from individuals with whom they have close social bonds. A study earlier this year also found that dogs really can see things from a human perspective – and that it influences their decision making.
Researchers discovered that when a person forbids a dog from taking food, they are more than twice as likely to disobey in a dark room than a lit room.
The study suggest man’s best friend first considers what a person is able to see, before choosing whether to break the rules.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2386395/We-know-theyre-contagious-yawns-spread-human-DOGS-Scientists-discover-evidence-canines-really-mans-best-friend.html#ixzz2bNJyArob