PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many Dutch people cycle?

Loki
08-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Why is cycling so popular in the Netherlands? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23587916)

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69152000/jpg/_69152885_126536965.jpg

There are more bicycles than residents in The Netherlands and in cities like Amsterdam and The Hague up to 70% of all journeys are made by bike. The BBC's Hague correspondent, Anna Holligan, who rides an omafiets - or "granny style" - bike complete with wicker basket and pedal-back brakes, examines what made everyone get back in the saddle.

The 70s velo-rution

Before World War II, journeys in the Netherlands were predominantly made by bike, but in the 1950s and 1960s, as car ownership rocketed, this changed. As in many countries in Europe, roads became increasingly congested and cyclists were squeezed to the kerb.

The jump in car numbers caused a huge rise in the number of deaths on the roads. In 1971 more than 3,000 people were killed by motor vehicles, 450 of them children.

In response a social movement demanding safer cycling conditions for children was formed. Called Stop de Kindermoord (Stop the Child Murder), it took its name from the headline of an article written by journalist Vic Langenhoff whose own child had been killed in a road accident.

The Dutch faith in the reliability and sustainability of the motor vehicle was also shaken by the Middle East oil crisis of 1973, when oil-producing countries stopped exports to the US and Western Europe.

These twin pressures helped to persuade the Dutch government to invest in improved cycling infrastructure and Dutch urban planners started to diverge from the car-centric road-building policies being pursued throughout the urbanising West.

Path to glory

To make cycling safer and more inviting the Dutch have built a vast network of cycle paths.

These are clearly marked, have smooth surfaces, separate signs and lights for those on two wheels, and wide enough to allow side-by-side cycling and overtaking.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69167000/jpg/_69167072_dutchbikes_prioritystreet_portland_464.j pg
The sign reads 'Bike street: Cars are guests'

In many cities the paths are completely segregated from motorised traffic. Sometimes, where space is scant and both must share, you can see signs showing an image of a cyclist with a car behind accompanied by the words 'Bike Street: Cars are guests'.

At roundabouts, too, it is those using pedal power who have priority.

You can cycle around a roundabout while cars (almost always) wait patiently for you to pass. The idea that "the bike is right" is such an alien concept for tourists on bikes that many often find it difficult to navigate roads and junctions at first.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69167000/jpg/_69167075_dutchroundabout_tfl_624.jpg

Most bike-friendly countries in Europe

1=. Denmark

1=. Netherlands

3. Sweden

4. Finland

5. Germany

6. Belgium

7. Austria

8. Hungary

9. Slovakia

10. UK

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69167000/jpg/_69167076_dutchbikepark_getty_624.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/69136000/jpg/_69136833_147659151.jpg

Ultra
08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Cycling owns. Environmental friendly and reduces risk of obesity + leg and ass exercise. :p There are many places that I can go downtown to faster on a bike than car. Heck, even the gym which is 10 min on a bicycle away takes roughly the same time to go there by car. :p

gregorius
08-08-2013, 01:07 PM
- Small cities,
- overpopulated areas so a car wont work as good as a small bike
- Short distances

Azalea
08-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Everything is flat here. There are no hills or mountains. And besides that, we maybe have on or two weeks of snow in winter, so the environment - except for the shitty rain all year long - is excellent for cycling.

I go everywhere by bicycle and so does my family. We have 6 bicycles at our home even though we are with four. :D Oh and I also have a 'granny bicycle'. :D

Albion
08-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Cycling in cities is a good idea, but around here we have people cycling great distances between towns and clogging up the roads. They don't get over to the left to let cars pass and hold races on public roads at busy times (how is that even allowed?). It's good in cities, but a menace in rural areas.

Fortis in Arduis
08-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I lived in Cambridge for seven years, and it was nice and flat. I was never without my bicycle. Some UK cities and towns are highly-suited to bicycling, others with lots of hills and little provision in terms of lanes and space, are certainly not.

The flatness helps.

Graham
08-08-2013, 04:58 PM
They don't get over to the left to let cars pass and hold races on public roads at busy times (how is that even allowed?). It's good in cities, but a menace in rural areas.

It's because road tires, for bikes are very thin & you take the risk of hitting a drain or pothole & flying over the handle bars.

Fortis in Arduis
08-08-2013, 05:02 PM
It's because road tires, for bikes are very thin & you take the risk of hitting a drain or pothole & flying over the handle bars.

He means bicyclists riding side by side, and blocking the road, which as vehicles, they should not do.

Riding on the pavement is another fault of many bicyclists. They belong on the left of the road and they also need to drive into the centre of any roundabout and indicate when they intend to turn, unless it is the next turning along!

If bicyclists want to be pedestrians they need to get off the bicycle and push it.

Graham
08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
He means bicyclists riding side by side, and blocking the road.

Oh ok, cyclist ignorance then.

Have you tried cycling here Fortis? Flat roads & paths are so rare. lol Lots's of weeeeeee! & fuck this hill!!!

sevruk
08-08-2013, 05:09 PM
not really in Russia :(

Windischer
08-08-2013, 05:09 PM
actually, pulling with bike to the edge of the road, so that cars may pass is a bad idea (unless its a wide road). drivers then often pass only centimeters from the biker which is distressing (at least for me). the best thing is to force the driver to handle the biker as any other car. remember that, as a biker, you are always in the weaker position. when you pull to the edge, you risk, when you stay in lane, none of you is in risk.
and piss on nervous drivers rushing somewhere. their time isnt more valuable than your health/life.

i also dont see what you ppl have against hills. going up is ok and going down is awesome :D

p. s. lol @ slovakia being 9th. biking on a busy road in slovakia is real adrenaline. in cities we almost always have to bike on pedestrian pavements.

Albion
08-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Well get proper tires then, my bike doesn't do that because it isn't some flimsy thing meant for the Tour de France like a great deal of cyclists seem to ride these days.

He means bicyclists riding side by side, and blocking the road, which as vehicles, they should not do.

And that. Happened the other day - two cars wouldn't do it, two bikes shouldn't. It's reckless and selfish, taking up a lot of the so cars have to pass wider, risking a head on collision with another car. British roads are narrow as it is without bikes making them worse.

Riding on the pavement is another fault of many bicyclists. They belong on the left of the road and they also need to drive into the centre of any roundabout and indicate when they intend to turn, unless it is the next turning along!

Well here we have some good cycle lanes - ones where a very wide path has been divided and half in red for cyclists, yet they don't always use it. They'll just continue down the narrow road alongside cars.
I was in a car with a mate the other day, stuck in traffic. A guy just comes cycling by, very close to the car indeed, my friend tells him there's a cycle path and suggests he should use it, the cyclists got hissy and said we could take it to the police station if we liked.
The smug, self righteousness of some cylists really pisses me and a lot of other people off.

Have you tried cycling here Fortis? Flat roads & paths are so rare. lol Lots's of weeeeeee! & fuck this hill!!!

Same here.

actually, pulling with bike to the edge of the road, so that cars may pass is a bad idea (unless its a wide road). drivers then often pass only centimeters from the biker which is distressing (at least for me). the best thing is to force the driver to handle the biker as any other car. remember that, as a biker, you are always in the weaker position. when you pull to the edge, you risk, when you stay in lane, none of you is in risk.
and piss on nervous drivers rushing somewhere. their time isnt more valuable than your health/life.

Well yes, it is. Me getting to work on time (having set out at a decent time to get there) is more important than interrupting someone having a leisurely cruise on a bike. They might not be in a hurry to get somewhere, but it doesn't mean the other ten car drivers behind them aren't needing to be somewhere.
If the road is big enough, cars should pass and bikes should get over. On narrow roads then cars just get stuck behind bikes and it is unavoidable.

holdthemayo
10-23-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't really buy the environmental or safety explanations in this case.. I think they're maybe just a bit stingy and don't want to pay for gas.

Loki
10-23-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't really buy the environmental or safety explanations in this case.. I think they're maybe just a bit stingy and don't want to pay for gas.

I think the most important reason for them is because cities and towns are small, compact and flat ... and crowded. Also, it's good exercise. And of course saves money. There is no need for a car.