PDA

View Full Version : Colonial NW Europeans vs. Modern NW Europeans

1stLightHorse
08-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Alright so i was thinking about the differences in attitudes, behaviours, culture, values between these two groups.

The colonialists: Australians, Americans, South Africans, New Zealanders, etc etc.

The rest: Self explanatory, but mostly France, Germany, Netherlands, UK.

I've noticed a lot of differences. Mostly the levels of aggression, assertiveness, competitiveness among the colonialists.
I think there is less tolerance for cultural intrusion among colonialists (not just people of other cultures but cultural intrusion).

I started to think about this after i was talking to an English mate i work with who moved here, he was a very politically aware person things that would never enter my mind like my use of the word 'cunt' for example. I greet my friends by calling them 'cunt'. And also, i remembered some stories from Afrikaners i went to high school with who were quite aggressive boys and very physically imposing always very competitive and quite proud people. The modern NW european culture seems more delicate, submissive, fearful, sensitive to others, more refined you could say whereas the colonial to me seems generally more abrasive, aggressive, confrontational, politically incorrect.

There is a tradition here in eastern australia to hunt Wild boar without guns, but to chase on foot after them with knives and catch dogs. This, i imagine is a very ancient Germanic/Celtic traditional activity that is still very much alive here. I can't imagine such things being acceptable in modern NW europe. In fact i'm under the impression that people would probably look down upon you or start to believe you're a savage. All i see from actual Europe today are elderly people that dress in flowing robes to mimic Druidic rituals to connect with their heritage.

What are your thoughts??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwK_1SFE_8

Methmatician
08-17-2013, 08:15 AM
The hunting wild boars thing sounds more celtic to me. Also, Americans (colonialists) are very conservative when it comes to language. Saying 'cunt' around an American can get you smacked I'd presume.

1stLightHorse
08-17-2013, 08:27 AM
The hunting wild boars thing sounds more celtic to me. Also, Americans (colonialists) are very conservative when it comes to language. Saying 'cunt' around an American can get you smacked I'd presume.

That's true, but some Americans swear like troopers, especially on the east and west coasts. Maybe it's a religious thing. Colonial americans seem a lot more Christ-oriented.

Methmatician
08-17-2013, 08:32 AM
That's true, but some Americans swear like troopers, especially on the east and west coasts. Maybe it's a religious thing. Colonial americans seem a lot more Christ-oriented.

African Americans swear a lot, but Anglo-Americans are more conservative even though African Americans are more religious.

rhiannon
08-17-2013, 08:32 AM
The hunting wild boars thing sounds more celtic to me. Also, Americans (colonialists) are very conservative when it comes to language. Saying 'cunt' around an American can get you smacked I'd presume.It's the worst insult you can call a woman. It appears the term is used between men in the UK, though. That seems unimaginable to me lol

1stLightHorse
08-17-2013, 08:35 AM
It's the worst insult you can call a woman. It appears the term is used between men in the UK, though. That seems unimaginable to me lol

Here we don't use it toward women at all. It's actually used at men. In fact i've never heard of it used on a woman. To me that seems weird (even though it makes sense considering the meaning). I say it to friends when i greet them casually like "How are you cunt?" and the only other time you hear it is during fist fights.

Methmatician
08-17-2013, 08:40 AM
It's the worst insult you can call a woman. It appears the term is used between men in the UK, though. That seems unimaginable to me lol

It's odd to hear woman use it and to use it against a woman. It's mostly something men call each other, similar to 'mate'. However, there's a time a place to use it and it isn't as commonly and freely used as the word 'mate'. It's also funny hearing the different ways people use it (e.g. sick cunt=cool person, dumb cunt=idiot, shifty cunt=suspicious person, stingy cunt=cheap person, etc).

rhiannon
08-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Here we don't use it toward women at all. It's actually used at men. In fact i've never heard of it used on a woman. To me that seems weird (even though it makes sense considering the meaning). I say it to friends when i greet them casually like "How are you cunt?" and the only other time you hear it is during fist fights.I have never heard men use it in reference to other men. Men and women can and do both use the term in reference to a woman, though. Said woman has to be one helluva bitch to earn this gem lol

1stLightHorse
08-17-2013, 08:46 AM
It's odd to hear woman use it and to use it against a woman. It's mostly something men call each other, similar to 'mate'. However, there's a time a place to use it and it isn't as commonly and freely used as the word 'mate'. It's also funny hearing the different ways people use it (e.g. sick cunt=cool person, dumb cunt=idiot, shifty cunt=suspicious person, stingy cunt=cheap person, etc).

Haha. You reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-SUhJT3g1c

Formozgan
08-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Here we don't use it toward women at all. It's actually used at men. In fact i've never heard of it used on a woman. To me that seems weird (even though it makes sense considering the meaning). I say it to friends when i greet them casually like "How are you cunt?" and the only other time you hear it is during fist fights.

This is the use of cunt I know. It's male/male. But I would call a woman that if she really made me angry.

RighNick
08-17-2013, 10:15 AM
The new world settler colonies spawned by the northwestern European powers were, due to technological limitations, very isolated from the central governments of their motherlands. This was especially true of the inland frontier areas that play such an important role in the formation of a national identity in North America, Australia, and South Africa. As they pushed deeper and deeper inland, the settlers found themselves in a very hostile environment and, lacking a strong government, were forced to confront the challenges posed by their new home on their own. Some to the characteristics mentioned in the op such as assertiveness and aggressiveness (as well as fierce individualism), could (at least in part) be attributed to this and are most prominent in the frontier areas of each country such as the interior west of the United States, the outback in Australia and rural South Africa.

The Afrikaners provide an interesting example because in many ways they differ drastically from the Dutch in terms of modern culture and values. The Voortrekkers who left the cape had to deal with very harsh conditions and tended to settle in isolated farming communities. They had to provide for and defend themselves which led to traits such as aggressiveness becoming important aspects of their culture. The mainland dutch, on the other hand, did not live in lawless frontier areas and as such could rely on local authorities to protect them and as the centuries passed became less self reliant because they could purchase and trade for the things they needed rather than needing to make it themselves.

1stLightHorse
08-18-2013, 07:45 AM
The new world settler colonies spawned by the northwestern European powers were, due to technological limitations, very isolated from the central governments of their motherlands. This was especially true of the inland frontier areas that play such an important role in the formation of a national identity in North America, Australia, and South Africa. As they pushed deeper and deeper inland, the settlers found themselves in a very hostile environment and, lacking a strong government, were forced to confront the challenges posed by their new home on their own. Some to the characteristics mentioned in the op such as assertiveness and aggressiveness (as well as fierce individualism), could (at least in part) be attributed to this and are most prominent in the frontier areas of each country such as the interior west of the United States, the outback in Australia and rural South Africa.

The Afrikaners provide an interesting example because in many ways they differ drastically from the Dutch in terms of modern culture and values. The Voortrekkers who left the cape had to deal with very harsh conditions and tended to settle in isolated farming communities. They had to provide for and defend themselves which led to traits such as aggressiveness becoming important aspects of their culture. The mainland dutch, on the other hand, did not live in lawless frontier areas and as such could rely on local authorities to protect them and as the centuries passed became less self reliant because they could purchase and trade for the things they needed rather than needing to make it themselves.

I agree strongly with everything you've said.