PDA

View Full Version : Do you identify as more european or levantine/middle eastern etc.?

riverman
08-22-2013, 11:45 PM
:D
Shalom, do you identify as more European or middle eastern? or something else, a mix? For non-Europeans same question applies, how do you identify.
Also, how should converts identify, Europeans practicing Judaism? Same as jews even though they're ethnically different??

Shah-Jehan
08-23-2013, 12:51 AM
I am not a Jew:(

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Neither

Mortimer
08-23-2013, 12:55 AM
Im not a Jew. I guess the Ashkenazis and Sephardis identify as more European. Would make sense. Israel is in the Middle East but they stick out as western nation and whiter phenotypically then their neighbours and no one seems to like them there.

Mark
08-23-2013, 01:14 AM
I have absolutely no connection with nor do I have any affinity toward the Middle-East. So I guess the answer is European.

riverman
08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Im not a Jew. I guess the Ashkenazis and Sephardis identify as more European. Would make sense. Israel is in the Middle East but they stick out as western nation and whiter phenotypically then their neighbours and no one seems to like them there.

Hmm well i'm not sure, the jews I've talked to didn't identify as european

riverman
08-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Neither
mm o.k., well I identify as American first, if that's what you mean, not the racial identity first, but, then the other questions in the OP still apply, like how do you view converts, ................because converts really aren't racially semitic. no one has given me a really good answer so far to that question.................and just saying 'define ethnicity' isn't enough of an answer. anywho...

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 11:09 AM
mm o.k., well I identify as American first, if that's what you mean, not the racial identity first, but, then the other questions in the OP still apply, like how do you view converts, ................because converts really aren't racially semitic. no one has given me a really good answer so far to that question.................and just saying 'define ethnicity' isn't enough of an answer. anywho...

Semites aren't a race

Mason8
08-23-2013, 11:12 AM
:D
Shalom, do you identify as more European or middle eastern? or something else, a mix? For non-Europeans same question applies, how do you identify.
Also, how should converts identify, Europeans practicing Judaism? Same as jews even though they're ethnically different??

I personally identify as Ashkenazi, because the majority of my family on both sides came most recently from Germany, Austria, Poland, and the Ukraine.

In general, we (Jews) identify as Ashkenazi, Sefardi, Mizrachi, or from whatever other community of Jewish descent based upon the majority of what we know of our descent in recent times.

As for converts, the usual practice has been that the convert is free to join him/herself to the customs and practices (essentially, the functional identity) of whatever community s/he pleases. Many take on the customs and practices of the community in which they convert, or of the rabbi who guided them for conversion. Those who convert in order to marry a Jewish person often take on the customs and practices of the family of their future spouse.

The most important aspect of our identity doesn't have to do with what country one lives in, or what country one's parents and grandparents lived in. It has to do with our ultimate relationship to one another as B'nai Yisrael, the children of Israel-- whether that comes by blood or by the adoption of conversion is irrelevant.

Loki
08-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Ashkenazis are European genetically, pretty much.

SkyBurn
08-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Genetically, I feel very chummy with Sicilians and Greeks. Appearance-wise, I associate myself with the European people. And culturally, I associate myself with a Germanic-Slavic conglomeration. It's hard for me to feel a connection to the middle east when I have so little in common with them. Which is why I'm somewhat impartial to Israel.

I realise that many "racial realists" would have my European-ness card revoked, but in real society, white people and non-white people would never even consider to associate me with MENA.

riverman
08-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Hmm, and that is why I suspect ashkenaz can get European results from genetic testing

Illancha
08-23-2013, 11:44 AM
//
Edit: just realised this is directed at Jews.

Loki
08-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Genetically, I feel very chummy with Sicilians and Greeks. Appearance-wise, I associate myself with the European people. And culturally, I associate myself with a Germanic-Slavic conglomeration. It's hard for me to feel a connection to the middle east when I have so little in common with them. Which is why I'm somewhat impartial to Israel.

And add to that, you're an atheist as well ...

I realise that many "racial realists" would have my European-ness card revoked, but in real society, white people and non-white people would never even consider to associate me with MENA.

Only Nutzis wouldn't consider you white or European.

SkyBurn
08-23-2013, 11:51 AM
And add to that, you're an atheist as well ...

Funny that you mention that, I'm considering Scientology.

Only Nutzis wouldn't consider you white or European.

Look, to be honest, I'm Australian rather than European. But I had to ethno-culturally associate myself with a continent, it would have to be Europe.

As far as 'whiteness' goes, I do go quite nicely tanned in the summer :D but seriously, it's an arbitrary word which has zero bearing on my life. I think people care far too much.

Aunt Hilda
08-23-2013, 11:54 AM

first, try The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

RandoBloom
08-23-2013, 11:57 AM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/577/162/2a8.jpg

riverman
08-23-2013, 11:57 AM

Before Scientology?:D yikes.

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Semites aren't a race

Aunt Hilda
08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Before Scientology?:D yikes.

well at least Scientologists are sane.....

Philo
08-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Middle-Eastern :picard2:

Ashkenazim are Judean +Euro(mostly Southern Europe, with a bit of North Europe).

riverman
08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Semites aren't a race

Why not? What makes a race in your opinion? Not disagreeing with you, just curious as to your reasoning.

riverman
08-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Middle-Eastern :picard2:

No need for the facepalm, Levantine, middle eastern, whatevs.

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Why not? What makes a race in your opinion? Not disagreeing with you, just curious as to your reasoning.

They're a linguistic group though Hebrew 's probably the oldest

Loki
08-23-2013, 12:03 PM

I hope you're joking :picard2:

Philo
08-23-2013, 12:03 PM
You did'nt ask me but i'll give my opinion.
Not a languge group obviously. This whole "race science" has loose definitions from the start. But for me it's Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid and Australoid.

riverman
08-23-2013, 12:04 PM
They're a linguistic group though Hebrew 's probably the oldest

Isn't that a race then? Semites aren't Hamites right, but they were once related.

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Isn't that a race then? Semites aren't Hamites right, but they were once related.

This 'll help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4I2EeZhOg8

Philo
08-23-2013, 12:05 PM

What are Hamites? Don't tell me "sons of Noah" cuz that's not really helpful.

riverman
08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
You did'nt ask me but i'll give my opinion.
Not a languge group obviously. This whole "race science" has loose definitions from the start. But for me it's Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid and Australoid.

Sure, I guess, but who's determining what 'caucasian' race is, f.e.

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Anyhow , phenotypes can skip

Philo
08-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Sure, I guess, but who's determining what 'caucasian' race is, f.e.

It's not Caucasian it's Caucasoid. And I'm not good in this physical antropology stuff but I think it's pretty easy to tell a Caucasoid in a slideshow of pictures. I don't know what Hamitic is, all I could find is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamitic

Smaug
08-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Once a Rabbi told me that a convert should identify only as Jewish, that if I converted for example I would be just a "Jew", and not a Welshman of the Hebrew persuasion. Don't know if all think this way.

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Once a Rabbi told me that a convert should identify only as Jewish, that if I converted for example I would be just a "Jew", and not a Welsh of Hebrew persuasion. Don't know if all think this way.
Converts are distinguished from born jews

Smaug
08-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Converts are distinguished from born jews

A convert is as Jewish as a born Jew, except we lack the Semitic features.

riverman
08-23-2013, 12:32 PM
A convert is as Jewish as a born Jew, except we lack the Semitic features.

I've read this many times.

That being said it might be easier for some people to convert than others, too.

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 12:33 PM
I've read this many times.

That being said it might be easier for some people to convert than others, too.

Particularly those with Jewish ancestry *cough*:D

riverman
08-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Particularly those with Jewish ancestry *cough*:D

Well, the circumcision thing too. But, I suppose you're right.

YeshAtid
08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Well, the circumcision thing too. But, I suppose you're right.

It depends .Reform and liberal don't usually require circumcision