Ianus
08-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Dinaromed

Smeagol
08-24-2013, 06:23 PM
Armenoid + Dinaric.

aherne
08-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Levantine, obviously. Typical Palestinian...

Hadouken
08-25-2013, 11:05 AM
armenoid

YeshAtid
08-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Levantine, obviously. Typical Palestinian...

:picard2:

Sikeliot
08-31-2013, 04:02 AM
He might have Phoenician influence. But he is not Armenian-looking, despite the Armenoid nose. Looks more Sephardi than anything else.

MarkyMark
08-31-2013, 04:07 AM
He legitimately would pass among Syrians and Lebanese. Even Assyrians. I'm thinking Armenoid+Med.

Sikeliot
08-31-2013, 04:10 AM
He legitimately would pass among Syrians and Lebanese. Even Assyrians. I'm thinking Armenoid+Med.

His phenotype is not common where my family was from in Messina, but is more common in Palermo, Agrigento, and Trapani where there was more Phoenician and Elymian influence.

MarkyMark
08-31-2013, 04:12 AM
His phenotype is not common where my family was from in Messina, but is more common in Palermo, Agrigento, and Trapani where there was more Phoenician and Elymian influence.

You would think after this many years Phoenecian influence wouldn't have been concentrated in particular areas and would have spread considerably, but I guess not.

Sikeliot
08-31-2013, 04:13 AM
You would think after this many years Phoenecian influence wouldn't have been concentrated in particular areas and would have spread considerably, but I guess not.

Well what happened was, Carthaginians and Phoenicians were able to take all of Sicily up to Enna, but could not get past Enna and onto the east coast because of the Greeks there who vigorously protected their land. Therefore, the east coast of Sicily looks very Greco-Roman (Greek/Italian/etc) while much of the rest of the island has the more exotic influences, and also more Norman.

That's why for instance my relatives look strongly Greek or Italic and not so exotic.

MarkyMark
08-31-2013, 04:15 AM
I should read more on Mediterranean history. I feel like my high school history classes have glossed over it to either cover everything or get to the American parts.

Sikeliot
08-31-2013, 04:17 AM
I should read more on Mediterranean history. I feel like my high school history classes have glossed over it to either cover everything or get to the American parts.

But interestingly all Sicilians cluster in the same space -- between Greek islanders and Cypriots. Western Sicilians (Palermo, Trapani, etc.) who do not have significant Norman influence on 23andme (the "French and German" category) will end up right next to the Cypriots, as will some of the people from inland like Enna. Messina, Catania, etc. cluster more like "proper" southern Italians.

Stormer99
08-31-2013, 04:19 AM
But interestingly all Sicilians cluster in the same space -- between Greek islanders and Cypriots. Western Sicilians (Palermo, Trapani, etc.) who do not have significant Norman influence on 23andme (the "French and German" category) will end up right next to the Cypriots, as will some of the people from inland like Enna. Messina, Catania, etc. cluster more like "proper" southern Italians.

How much French and German do they typically score?

Sikeliot
08-31-2013, 04:22 AM
How much French and German do they typically score?

The ones I share with, the most they get is 3% or so.. those who do will be pulled north and into the main Sicilian cluster, those who do not will typically end up near Cypriots.