PDA

View Full Version : Which continental Europeans can pass in Ireland? (Multiple choice)

Sikeliot
08-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Whether all, many, or a noticeable amount, which Europeans from the continent can fit in Ireland generally?

WOOHP
08-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Other Northwesterners primarily. Scandos, Dutch and Northern French.

Peikko
08-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Almost none.

Sikeliot
08-25-2013, 06:58 PM
What the hell? Someone picked Finns? They look nothing like Irish.

Peikko
08-25-2013, 07:01 PM
What the hell? Someone picked Finns? They look nothing like Irish.

Probably someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Smaug
08-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Iberians, French, some Northern Italians and some Scandinavians.

Sikeliot
08-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Not that I really think they look like them, but it's interesting people have picked Norwegians, Dutch, and Danes in large amount but not Germans, when I think Germans look fairly similar to Dutch as well as both Norwegians and Danes.

WOOHP
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Not that I really think they look like them, but it's interesting people have picked Norwegians, Dutch, and Danes in large amount but not Germans, when I think Germans look fairly similar to Dutch as well as both Norwegians and Danes.

Because you(and other Atlantic facade freaks) would have gone mad if someone voted Germans but not Portuguese.

Oh and btw Irish do really look like Scandos more so than other Euros.

Sikeliot
08-25-2013, 07:38 PM
Because you(and other Atlantic facade freaks) would have gone mad if someone voted Germans but not Portuguese.

But I also don't see much similarity to Norwegians either, so that can't be it.

Peikko
08-25-2013, 07:40 PM
The similarity to Norwegians is way bigger than to most other nations (though not extremely big). I voted only Norway.

WOOHP
08-25-2013, 07:43 PM

I think that there is a distinctive Britsh look that is not present anywhere else but in the British isles. But the ones who can pass outside the isles do usually fit better in Scandinavia, Northern France/Germany and/or Benelux.

Grace O'Malley
08-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Other than British more of these populations would fit Northern French, Belgians, Norwegians and some Dutch. Basically the closer the neighbour the more similarities.

Guapo
08-26-2013, 01:13 AM
lol

Swearengen
08-26-2013, 01:17 AM
i don't think irish people look that distinct. actually they're highly variable. Selected people from all over europe could fit there.

Roy
08-26-2013, 01:17 AM
They don't even overlap significantly with English people to my eye but I could be wrong. I voted for Norway, they share something. Some other Scandinavians and Northern French also make sense.

Grace O'Malley
08-26-2013, 01:20 AM
They don't even overlap significantly with English people to my eye but I could be wrong. I voted for Norway, they share something. Some other Scandinavians and Northern French also make sense.

They completely overlap with the English. There is very little difference with all the British Isles.

armenianbodyhair
08-26-2013, 01:20 AM
I think other people from the UK mostly, Some French, Dutch, German, even some Iberian. I don't know though, when I was there some Irish people thought I was Irish, so I guess it really depends.

Poles are on there twice.

Roy
08-26-2013, 01:22 AM
They completely overlap with the English. There is very little difference with all the British Isles.

I just remember some thread in which I got 10/10 in telling apart English vs Irish. Of course there could be big overlap and lack of bigger differences as you tell so :)
I just may exaggerate. I can't see any overlap with Poles.

Lábaru
08-26-2013, 01:22 AM
Spanish and Finns.

Grace O'Malley
08-26-2013, 01:25 AM
I just remember some thread in which I got 10/10 in telling apart English vs Irish. Of course there could be big overlap as you tell so :)
I just may exaggerate.

There are some Irish people that have a very Irish look but a majority of people could fit in other countries especially Britain. Those populations have been connected and interacting since those islands were populated from Europe.

Grace O'Malley
08-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Spanish and Finns.

Yes there is that variation but I think that would happen in any country. The majority though look like neighbouring populations. I think this is what you would find Europe wide most populations cluster with their neighbours and have more similarities in common.

Graham
08-26-2013, 01:30 AM
Northern France & Western Norway.

North France being the top choice.

Anthropologique
08-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Bretons (generally), Normans (generally), Belgians (a good segment), Danes (a good segment) and a portion of Iberians (Spanish and Portuguese); based on the strength of equivalencies.

WOOHP
08-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Bretons (generally), Normans (generally), Belgians (a good segment), Danes (a good segment) and a portion of Iberians (Spanish and Portuguese); based on the strength of equivalencies.

Dividing Scandinavia is not to any good. All of the most occuring phenotypes in Sweden are also about equally frequent in Denmark and Norway.

rhiannon
08-27-2013, 04:24 PM
The similarity to Norwegians is way bigger than to most other nations (though not extremely big). I voted only Norway.

Take a good look at Iceland lol. Great showcase of Norwegians/Irish mixing together.....a harmonious blend IMO

le penalty
08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
A breton group can't pass in Ireland, only individualy and not everybody

Anthropologique
08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Dividing Scandinavia is not to any good. All of the most occuring phenotypes in Sweden are also about equally frequent in Denmark and Norway.

I see Danes as closer. Upper Scandinavia has more of a region particular look.

Anthropologique
08-27-2013, 10:03 PM
A breton group can't pass in Ireland, only individualy and not everybody

Agree, But some regions of Brittany can pass more than others.

gold_fenix
08-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Western Norwegian is often see people who look as Irish or British

WOOHP
08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I see Danes as closer. Upper Scandinavia has more of a region particular look.

Danes don't differ at all, it's like North and South Portugal, the people of southern Portugal are mostly Northerners who immigrated and in Scandinavia it's the opposite. I have yet to see a Dane that wouldn't fit easily here in Sweden(yes that applies to the Northern part too), and vice versa.

Dividing Scandinavia that much when it comes to physical Anthropology is just wrong.

Roy
08-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Danes don't differ at all, it's like North and South Portugal, the people of southern Portugal are mostly Northerners who immigrated and in Scandinavia it's the opposite. I have yet to see a Dane that wouldn't fit easily here in Sweden(yes that applies to the Northern part too), and vice versa.

Dividing Scandinavia that much when it comes to physical Anthropology is just wrong.

Maybe, but I see Danes as closer to British people than the rest of Scandinavians.

riverman
08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Other Northwesterners primarily. Scandos, Dutch and Northern French.

Eh, not. None of them really, you can really tell the ethnic Celtoids from others. imo. at least in my experience. I don't think theres general crossover even if theres individual crossover.

Graham
08-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Maybe, but I see Danes as closer to British people than the rest of Scandinavians.

Can remember posting this Danish actress, to guess. People thought she was British. :) The difference between Denmark & East England is not big.

http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/1.2774881.1360619528!/image/423944340.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/423944340.jpg
A fewin this photo are different.
http://blogs.lexpress.fr/yes-they-can/wp-content/blogs.dir/851/files/2012/05/Borgen2.jpg

Peikko
08-28-2013, 04:01 PM
She looks kinda generic North Euro, though.

Oneeye
08-28-2013, 04:12 PM
I didn't know that Scandinavians were considered "continental."

WOOHP
08-28-2013, 04:17 PM
I don't know. The difference is probably not visible at all, I've seen many Swedes who would fit in Britain and the same applies to Norwegians and Danes too ofc. Danes looking closer to them is not something I've noticed.
Denmark might have a higher concentration of Börrebys, but Norway and Sweden got slightly more Trönders, who look pretty close to the Anglo-Saxon type.

Can remember posting this Danish actress, to guess. People thought she was British. :) The difference between Denmark & East England is not big.

http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/1.2774881.1360619528!/image/423944340.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/423944340.jpg

The difference between Sweden/Norway and East england is not that great aswell.

That woman would be able to fit in many places in Northern Europe, she would fit here quite easily ofc.
A fewin this photo are different.
http://blogs.lexpress.fr/yes-they-can/wp-content/blogs.dir/851/files/2012/05/Borgen2.jpg
If someone told me these were Norwegians or Swedes I would have believed them right away, all of them would not only be able to fit here but they are close to the typical look.